AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I'm hearing not to get a plasma (based on room I'm putting a new TV in) is the screen on this model glossy or matte?

I'd would be replacing the TV in the attached photos, so let me know if you think I could pull this off and be happy, or just go with an flat panel LCD or LoCos.

TV will not be wall mounted.

Thanks,

· Premium Member
18,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwolf /forum/post/0

Although I'm hearing not to get a plasma (based on room I'm putting a new TV in) is the screen on this model glossy or matte?

It's neither - it's somewhere inbetween (see my post in the link below). It does have an anti-reflective coating that reduces reflections quite a bit compared to a traditional tube TV and is the same coating used on my PX50U (pics in link below). Plus the fact that it's flat means less of a fish-eye effect so if you sit on the opposing couch you probably won't see the bay window or sliding door in the left side of the screen, but you will see that illuminated back wall and that window to the left of the fireplace reflected in the screen, but again it will be much more subdued than your current TV. If that's as bad as the light gets, it looks to me like if you put a blackout shade on the window left of the fireplace and some blinds on that big sliding door that will do the most to drastically reduce the chance of seeing it all in the screen. Mini Blinds on the bay windows would be a big help too because you can partially close them to redirect the light while still letting some light into the room so it doesn't feel like a cave. And remember glare is only a problem at certain times of the day, where most people are watching TV at night.

Quote:
I'd would be replacing the TV in the attached photos, so let me know if you think I could pull this off and be happy, or just go with an flat panel LCD or LoCos.

I don't think you'd be happy with the PQ on those other TVs so you have to decide if you're buying the TV to watch during the few hours a day where light is a problem as opposed to the other times of the day where the light is not beaming into the room like morning or noon or night time etc. My windows face the west and i can leave my blinds open till about 4 hours before sunset whereupon i have to first lower them and close them halfway, then as the sun gets lower i have to close them all the way. This is a small price to pay to get the superior PQ the other 20 hours of the day where the light is not a problem.

But if you cannot reduce the light coming into the fireplace area in those pics then you will see that opposing wall in the screen when watching darker scenes on a PX60U.

Have you seen this Plasma Glare thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

I have some pertinent questions:

1.) Which direction does that bay window face (north by any chance?). This will determine what time of day the light ingress becomes a problem. For me, the light is only a problem in the later afternoon before sunset. If your bay window faces south, then the light will be a problem for more hours of the daytime. North would be best.

2.) Is that as bad as the light gets? It doesn't appear to be beaming directly into the room like it does in my living room.

3.) Will you be installing some sort of blinds or shades on any/all of those windows? It looks like mini-blinds would pretty much solve your problem but the sliding door would most likely need vertical blinds which might astetically clash with mini blinds on the other windows. But i'd do it anyway

· Registered
77 Posts
I have nothing behind my viewing area and blinds on the windows adjacent to the viewing area so I have zero glare on my 58" Panny. My friend who bought a 58" the same day as I did had 2 trouble spots he HAD to fix...the glare is horrible when its direct sunlight...he installed blinds for the windows behind his viewing area and has to close the curtains to the left of the viewing area when watching the Panny.

Your room, though very nice looking with the hard wood floors and open windows....would be horrible from any viewing angle you chose that didn't have the window directly behind it covered up....anybody viewing from the off-center positions would have a hard time seeing anything on the screen. Before we closed the curtain on the side...when I tried to view the Panny from about 3 or 4 feet off-center, all I could see was the street signs from outside ( The reflection was so good that I could READ the street sign from where I was sitting ) They are GREAT looking sets but do reflect really bad as well....but I think if you repositioned the Panny a couple of feet to the left from your old tv's position...you would avoid the big window behind it as well as the sliding glass door. Then your only spot to cover would be the left small side of that bay window ( Probably have to put blinds on all 3 for asthetics ).

Go buy a cheap large mirror from home depot and play with that for positions in the room, that would be a pretty good indicator if the position you chose would work...or what you had to cover up to MAKE it work. Have fun...the huge Panny would be worth the effort it would take to reduce/remove reflections

· Registered
6,523 Posts
If I was going to buy a plasma and I came to this thread and folks are saying all you have to do is buy blinds or curtains, its bad advice. If you have a window behind where you sit the only curtains or blinds that would work are pitch black curtains or blinds that no light can get through them.

If you buy blinds or curtains that you can see any light at all through them, you will see the curtains and pleats on your TV. And I know you can get curtains that are pitch black but I haven't seen any before.

Like the last post do some homework before trusting this thread.

· Registered
676 Posts
I'm just starting my plasma search; however can't you just use a tilt mount and push it towards the floor (slightly) while viewing during the day (rare for me). I have windows directly behind my viewing area and I tip'd my big CRT RPTV while my wife was watching it and she was extremely satisfied w/ the results. Otherwise it was almost unwatchable. Unfortunately she wasn't strong enough (nor did I want her to try) to do the same for me. I realize the viewing angle may not be ideal, but a quick fix.

Curtains for me aren't a great solution either b/c you always have bleed around the edges and I see that also.

I search the glare thread for tilt, but got nothing. Would be surprised is someone hadn't tried it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.