AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

InFocus X10 refurbished from eBay - $400

Hooked up to home theater / gaming rig via HDMI

Altec Lansing ADA 995 5.1 set (THX for what it's worth)

Black out cloth wrapped around 4" pine frame with 2" felt wrapped frame border.

Under a grand all together.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looks pretty sweet to me. And even more impressive is that you did it on the cheap. It's always satisfying when the results exceed the budget.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCreider  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23186353

InFocus X10 refurbished from eBay - $400

Hooked up to home theater / gaming rig via HDMI

Altec Lansing ADA 995 5.1 set (THX for what it's worth)

Black out cloth wrapped around 4" pine frame with 2" felt wrapped frame border.

Under a grand all together.

There is also a dedicated area where you can display your setup.

What's Your System Configuration

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not bad.....don't be jealous but my office pj setup consists of a 50 lumen Optoma PT100 and a 65" painted piece of foamboard above my computer.

LOL!

Beautiful setup...I was thinking that was a SVGA or XGA pj for some reason at first, and even then I thought was a decent deal haha...

·
Registered
JVC RS3100/NZ8| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,809 Posts
Did you have trouble with putting the ceiling mount up in the apt?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23200965

Did you have trouble with putting the ceiling mount up in the apt?

I used a kitchen knife to "drill" holes into the ceiling and then used molly bolts to fasten the mount in place. This is real ghetto, but to fill holes from previous mounting positions / projectors, I have just put tissue in the ceiling.

My apt manager would love me.

Only problem with ceiling mount is upstairs neighbor. I fear that the slight shimmy when they walk over it will shorten lamp life.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCreider  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23255382

I used a kitchen knife to "drill" holes into the ceiling and then used molly bolts to fasten the mount in place. This is real ghetto, but to fill holes from previous mounting positions / projectors, I have just put tissue in the ceiling.

My apt manager would love me.

Only problem with ceiling mount is upstairs neighbor. I fear that the slight shimmy when they walk over it will shorten lamp life.

I hope if you ever have maintenance people in your apartment, they don't make a stink about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They've come in once for pest control and AC filter changing - didn't say anything.

Just had my father over to watch Hitchcock on it, he was impressed. Had to go back home to his 32" TV though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I deal with property management often and honestly, I'd be more concerned with the projector disappearing before I worried about anyone making a fuss. Besides, unless something you do in/to an apartment unit affects or endangers your unit or other tenants/units, they usually could care less as long as you pay your rent on time and don't cause trouble. As long as you fix any damage you cause before move out, it may not even affect your deposit.

FWIW lol....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy88  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23260108

I deal with property management often and honestly, I'd be more concerned with the projector disappearing before I worried about anyone making a fuss. Besides, unless something you do in/to an apartment unit affects or endangers your unit or other tenants/units, they usually could care less as long as you pay your rent on time and don't cause trouble. As long as you fix any damage you cause before move out, it may not even affect your deposit.

FWIW lol....

Sounds legit. Their paint / caulking jobs aren't exactly perfect, so I don't think they'll mind a few missing popcorn pieces off the ceiling.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I hope the refurb works out well for you...my last 2 used pjs though in mint condition put me down almost right away so I guess you're ahead of the curve lol. I may snag one of these myself even though they use a bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there. I'm just curious what the actual screen size of that setup is? I live in an apartment, and I've been discussing selling my Mitsubishi WD-60638 and a 40" LED back-lit LCD to fund an upgrade to this kind of setup with my wife. So far she seems on board after seeing your setup.

Anyhow, it looks cool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about such a late reply. The screen is BOC wrapped around a 3" pine frame, with some $1-a-piece wood wrapped in felt as a frame. 100" is the viewable area.

My head sitting on the couch is almost 10 feet back, seems a good viewing angle.

You'll need speakers, of course, I just found these ADA995 Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers for $80 on Craigslist. I think tower speakers, or expensive ones period, are a waste in an apartment because they always gotta be turned down.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy88  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23260108

FWIW lol....

This is the same for me. I have a apartment but for me my ceiling is concrete, I have inspections yearly every Feb but not one this year.. I can't see how it would be issues as I have pictures on the wall (concrete) as well.. I would just patch over when I move out. Also heck they said I could paint if I wanted to.

Also I'm lucky because I got to see above the ceiling and I have truss work so the person above me would not put any stress on the projector.. and tapcons would be enough to hold a 6 lb projector..

now if I was mounting a 26 lb projector I would be scared.

But the Op's thread is the same I'm trying to do I've just been slow about it because I want to make the right picks.

The projector I will be using is a Infocus IN116

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy88  /t/1467624/hows-my-apartment-setup-look#post_23308284

And to think the first 4 years I was married, we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and loved our RCA 25" tube TV lol.....
I use a 40" as my computer screen/TV and man I'm curious how moving to a 110" is going to feel my seating distance is going to be like 10 ft or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts