AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new setup I am putting in my girlfriends apartment since I spend so much time there. What you guys think. Please comment but dont flame.

Optoma panoview 106inch screen

infocus 4805 projector

definitive mythos 1 speakers (2 speakers not 1)

denon 2805 reciever

denon 1920 series dvd player

definitive super q sub.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I like to see

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have any input

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Actually I did have one question. When you said panoview, do you mean the matte white or the graywolf? Given that you are putting this is your girlfriend's apartment, she presumably has light colored walls and furniture and maybe ambient light control issues as well. For this scenario, a retroreflective screen like the high power or graywolf would work better than the matte white as long as you don't need an especially wide viewing cone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually the walls are like a light light beige, and there is very very little light that is coming through. nothing that a dark cloth cant cover or something lol. So you suggest I get the greywolf 106 inch instead of the matte white. I actually need to couble check. I didnt ask.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
All screens have their advantages and disadvantages. Some characteristics matter more to different users, and with different viewing environments.

A matte white pulldown screen gives an extremely wide viewing angle, but it does nothing to attenuate reflections from your room, and will tend to form waves over time unless you purchase a higher-end mechanism with tensioning or build a fixed frame screen.

The greywolf helps reduce reflections from the room and substantially reduces washout in the presence of some limited ambient light. It does this with a penalty of a narrow viewing cone, and a slightly sparkly texture that some people such as myself find annoying when viewing from less than about 15' back. It does not suffer from waves like matte white.

A third option would be the dalite high power, which provides some limited ambient light rejection, a bright smooth image and reduced waves, but at the expense of a limited viewing cone.

In summary, if you need an especially wide viewing cone to accommodate side seats then go matte white, if you need ambient light rejection then go greywolf, otherwise go high power to avoid the waves. Pricewise, they are all in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm so is the choice I made a good one or bad one you think

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm a little confused. . . are you saying you ordered the matte white?

As long as you don't have ambient light leaking in through the windows during viewing time, you should be happy with matte white. There is a good reason that theaters have been using matte white for decades: it works.

Just be aware that you may develop waves in the fabric after awhile and regardless of what you buy this week, this is probably not the last screen you will ever own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well we chose the optoma panoview. I think that is the matte white. is that right, well you are right this probably wont be the last screen I will own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.