Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just wanted to get some opinions on these setups and the order I will be doing them in. First off, let me preceed this by telling you all I am a poor college student and price is a factor. That is why I wish to do this in steps. First, I plan on getting the HK AVR-520 receiver. It seems to be a good choice for $500.00. Next, onto speakers. I want to purchase two towers + center channel at the same time first. I am looking at the Axiom M60ti's from the Axiom outlet. They run $640/pair. For the Center, I am looking at the Axiom vp150 which runs $350 shipped from Axiom. I intend to add the Axiom qs4 surrounds or equilivent down the road along with some subwoofer (open to suggestions on these as well). Another setup I was looking at and I can hear in town here is of course the JBL setup that many people talk about. It includes S312 towers, S center, and either the s or n series surrounds. This setup can be had online for $900 max + the cost of a sub. The Axiom setup comes out to $1300 even + the cost of a sub. Since I cannot hear the Axioms here, I have no opinions on them. I see that they get wonderful reviews and I'm sure I would be happy with them. The question is, would I be so happy with them to spend an extra $400 on them? After I purchase the sound system I plan on saving for a few months to buy a large widescreen hdtv as well so that is something I want to take into account as well. Any input on these systems or any equilivant will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not heard the Axiom speakers. I do own JBL studio 38`s. They are a very good speaker in my opinion. My studio 38`s like power. The S312II will also like power. The H&K will be able to run them good but not great.In the studio series I would recommend the S 38`s to match with that receiver.

The low frequency is the hardest thing for an amp to run.Even ones costing twice as much as this one. You would probably be better off with the Axiom towers if you must get tower`s. Try Klipcsh towers too.

I think you would be better off with bookshelf speakers on stands and a really good sub for the real low frequency. Especially for movies.

This is just my oppinion from personal experience. I am not an expert.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Petro49er

You should not buy a speaker you have not heard. There are very big differences between speakers, and like food, people have different tastes. It is important to listen to a couple of different speakers so you can determine exactly what you prefer.

At this price level there are many alternatives. PSB and Paradigm are frequently named here. Darkside's advice on small speakers with a good subwoofer is good -- as are his JBL speakers. Klipsch has been around forever, but it's speakers are competitive.

Bring along some cd's that you know well and will test the speakers, and listen to each with the same music. This is the best way to find out what you prefer.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am still working on somewhere that I can hear the Axioms here in town, but still no luck. They do have the 30 day trial if I do wish to purchase those. I listened to a set of klipsch and energy speakers and both did sound nice. The Klipsch were the synergy series, and many people have reccommended the reference series instead. I don't believe I can even touch them with my given budget. The energy speakers were nice as well and included the c5 towers and others. I'll have to go down to listen to the psb and paradigms later this week. If I enjoy either of these, are there any authorized online dealers of these 2? Thanks in advance for any replies.

--Petro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.