AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not but Iv been living in the dark ages and watching TV on a 19" color TV from the early 90's :( I do believe its time to upgrade

Anyway I definitely want a digital TV that is wide-screen. I was at Bestbuy today and they had this JVC on demo and I thought it looked really nice but I'm no expert. Iv recently built a nice HTPC for satellite, movies, music, and a little bit of gaming. The JVC has dvi input which I guss is needed for a HTPC use, but for around the same price is there anything better I should be looking at?

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You don't have to have DVI for HTPC use, RGBHV or Y/Pr/Pb with a transcoder will work too. Many (if not all) of the Mitsubishi and some RCA's have RGBHV or VGA inputs. All you need to use a RGBHV set with a HTPC is a VGA "breakout" cable and software like PowerStrip to set up custom resolution and timing.

I don't know about the image quality of this set vs the others, I've only worked with the Mits. I'm sure there are others here who would know if the CRT's, optics, lens, electronics, etc. of this set are of higher or lower quality.

I love how they try to pass off HDCP as a "feature" (from Best Lies website):

"DVI input with High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) provides a copy-protected solution for the transmission of uncompressed high-definition content"

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Platinum Series WT-46809 , 46" instead of 48", but can be had for about $1800, WS-55809 55" for about $2300

Platinum-Plus Series WS-55819 55" with Quad-Field Focus for $2400

(All prices Internet based, so add some for retail or shipping)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.