AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the topic has been thrown around a bit: Sending a raw ReplayTV mpeg straight to VCD/DVD and letting the DVD player work it out. I thought we could post which units worked/didn't. Here's mine:

Apex AD-1600: Audio, no Video :(

Tried a half hour of Simpson's onto a CD. First attempt was recorded at max rate, second attempt recorded at 1x speed. Results same.

Sony 560: Are you kidding? :)

My Sony sometimes won't play a rental, let alone something home grown.

So how 'bout you guys? (Could save us all strange looks buy the guys at Circuit City.....)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've tried iso dvd-rw, but not cd. Apex ad-1201 comes close to working with dvd-rw, but still freezes and skips. However, both audio and video are there for the bits that do play. But that was only with medium quality. I haven't gotten around to trying all qualities and also trying both write once and re-write. [I have an old daewoo that can handle file-mode file access, but it won't read re-writes, and I haven't gotten around to making a 3-quality write-once sample yet].

You're right - this may be one way to go if we can find the magic player.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I author my RTV shows to DVD-R's with SpruceUp so they look like a Commercial DVD with menus to choose the episodes (3 or 4 one hour episodes w/o commercials per DVD) and they work just fine on my Pioneer DV-434.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane

So how 'bout you guys? (Could save us all strange looks buy the guys at Circuit City.....)
I ... download with DVArchive.

Remove commercials with Womble.

Burn with DVD MF2 on a Sony DRU550 onto -R disks because they're cheap. I also have one +RW disk that I use for temporary stuff.

I have a Toshiba SD-3750 in my den, a newer Toshiba in the bedroom and my wife has an older ( 1999) Sony in her living room and all of my DVDs have played fine. I thought I had an issue once but it turns out I forgot to change my player from optical, so until I did that I was getting no sound.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found a great DVD Player/DVD-R compatibility list HERE

Of course your Apex 1600 isn't listed but the Sony 560 is.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My apex has no problems with recordable DVD's,CD-R's, and Mpeg's dumped to cd as a file.

What it can't play correctly is a ReplayTV mpeg (which is non-standard as other threads have discussed).

I can do a quick search and find the one or two DVD players that can play a Replay mpeg with no editing/conversion and post them here as well. I'm wondering if there are others...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Whirly, hankcampbell -- Bob and I are talking about just dumping the mpeg file as-is to an iso format cd/dvd and using the normal directory listing to pick the file to playback -- not creating a 'playable dvd'. Many of the current low end dvd players will read a normal iso format directory of mp3's, jpg's, and mpg's, display it on the screen as an 'array' of boxes, and you can just pick the file and 'play' it. Apex tends to be one of the more flexible ones in this regard [and can handle most non-replay mpeg files just fine].

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the same result on the 3 changer Apex (AD 5135?). Raw (standard rec) file on a cdrom = Audio, but no video. I had posted that in another thread here and someone suggested demultiplexing and then remultiplexing first, but I never tried that.

·
Registered
627 Posts
my JVC S501-bk plays Replay files burned to DVD on DVD-R media and DVD-RW media. It also plays VCD's and SVCD's perfectly.

JVC seems to do a decent job of being friendly with formats and media types.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.