AVS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update: I just upgraded to MythTV 0.22. To do this, I decided to work with a development snapshot. I built my own -- the osxpackager.pl works very well -- but I see that thesniderpad.com now has these available as well.

Once I upgraded, I turned off the old backend using

Code:
Code:
[B]launchctl unload -w ~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.boonstra.chicago.dvr.MythBackend[/B]
since I have the backend running from launchd with a KeepAlive directive. I saved all the old executables in a backup directory, and moved the new executables into their place.

After that, I did some backups of the database and such, which are obviously optional, and then ran MythTV-Setup.app. For this purpose,

Code:
Code:
[B]mythconverg_backup.pl --verbose[/B]
is very easy to use.

MythTV-Setup upgrades the database automatically for you. I also went ahead and downloaded channel icons, something I had never done before when the app was uglier and more confusing. Then I added some requested directories to the Storage Groups.

Once that was done, I ran the frontend, which asked to do few more automatic database upgrades. I let it do that, ad then checked that everything works. It all seems great (and finally works properly with my Apple Remote!). The new UI is gorgeous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the new UI - so I'm finally upgrading my Ubuntu 8.04LTS backend to 9.10 and Myth 0.22.

I've gone ahead and grabbed the 0.22 Universal frontend binary from the Sniderpad. I'm anxious to give it a try. However, do you know if AC3 passthrough has been fixed for OSX in 0.22?
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5552

Having to stop and restart each show 2-3 times to get it to play normally was a real WAF killer...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I didn't even know about this AC3 passthrough feature, so no - I don't know if it is fixed. Is it something that is desirable for North American TV shows? Please let us all know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I ran a combined Front/Back-End on my 1.66GHz Intel Mini for a long time. Once I got all the HD playback settings figured out, HD playback took ~60-70% CPU, and commercial flagging didn't effect the HD playback. Basic HD recording takes almost no CPU, and I used a couple 2.5" USB drives for storage.. overall it was a great setup.

I have since split out the backend to my old 1.42GHz G4 Mini (running Linux). Its CPU power is much less than a single core of the x86 Mini, but it works well as a backend box.

I have since replaced my 1.66GHz Mini with a newer 2.0GHz nvidia-based Mini. My only complaint is the lack of video decode acceleration in Mac OS X (my cheap Acer AspireRevo using VDPAU under Linux takes ~6% CPU to play 1080i material).

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianboonstra /forum/post/17538980

I didn't even know about this AC3 passthrough feature, so no - I don't know if it is fixed. Is it something that is desirable for North American TV shows? Please let us all know what you find out.

Alas, the bug is still not fixed. Checking the AC3 box still results in accelerated playback. Only now, I can't get the show to run at normal speed no matter how many times I stop and restart it.

It's back to watching surround sound shows and movies with the OSX frontend in 2.0 stereo on my HT surround sound setup...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17539540

... My only complaint is the lack of video decode acceleration in Mac OS X (my cheap Acer AspireRevo using VDPAU under Linux takes ~6% CPU to play 1080i material).

I'm with you on that. Apparently there was some effort in this direction, as seen in this ticket but nothing has been done for years.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianboonstra /forum/post/17543401

I'm with you on that. Apparently there was some effort in this direction, as seen in this ticket but nothing has been done for years.

I tested that CoreVideo support back when that patch was created. It worked fairly well, but wasn't as solid as the existing Quartz code, and I didn't see any CPU utilization difference.

There is also the Mac HW Acceleration support, based on reverse engineering MPEG2 acceleration in DVD Player.app. I have tried that several times over the years, and always found it more likely to lock up my Mac than really work.

I thought that with Snow Leopard there was a chance of usable acceleration APIs being officially supported. But, apparently that didn't happen. QuickTime uses the video acceleration capabilities in the GPU, but doesn't expose them to 3rd parties.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17539540

I ran a combined Front/Back-End on my 1.66GHz Intel Mini for a long time. Once I got all the HD playback settings figured out, HD playback took ~60-70% CPU

My mini frontend is a 1.66GHz that has since had a cpu upgrade to 2.0GHz. Under 0.21, using the ffmpeg/quartz settings you had listed in another thread, 1080i playback typically took 35-40% of the cpu resources. Currently, I'm seeing that 0.22 is a little better - 1080i playback is pretty solid right at 25%.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scram /forum/post/17547982

My mini frontend is a 1.66GHz that has since had a cpu upgrade to 2.0GHz. Under 0.21, using the ffmpeg/quartz settings you had listed in another thread, 1080i playback typically took 35-40% of the cpu resources. Currently, I'm seeing that 0.22 is a little better - 1080i playback is pretty solid right at 25%.

Interesting.. I'll have to check that out. My backend is upgraded to 0.22, and I have tried the Mac frontend but didn't look at CPU usage. I had problems with poor 720p playback, so I mostly use a Linux frontend which supports VDPAU offload.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17543776

I tested that CoreVideo support back when that patch was created. It worked fairly well, but wasn't as solid as the existing Quartz code, and I didn't see any CPU utilization difference.

That's interesting. I had hoped that CoreVideo would be automatically offloading to the GPU, at least eventually. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianboonstra /forum/post/17550160

That's interesting. I had hoped that CoreVideo would be automatically offloading to the GPU, at least eventually. Is that not the case?

The CoreVideo could give you hardware scaling and colorspace conversion, but not the MPEG2/H.264 decoding acceleration. As far as I know, there is no open API to take advantage of the GPU hardware capabilities in Mac OS X.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17554473

As far as I know, there is no open API to take advantage of the GPU hardware capabilities in Mac OS X.

Well, there's now OpenCL which has some image support but I don't think anyone has done MPEG work with it, just the simple image stuff.

Judging from the well-reasoned and detailed post found on an EyeTV forum we should never expect QuickTime X or CoreVideo to support this playback.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17554473

...As far as I know, there is no open API to take advantage of the GPU hardware capabilities in Mac OS X.

Actually, there is: OpenCL (pdf) was introduced in 10.6

As I understand it, OpenCL lets a program use supported GPU hardware for more than just graphics tasks. I think.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts