AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this projector for a couple of years, and I started getting the lamp renewal notification (about 2.2K hours of use). When I took it off the ceiling, I noticed it was extremely dusty, and recently I had noticed bright spots on dark images (dust blobs) in a number of places - so a full clean was needed.

I carried this out myself and basically, to take the unit apart is very easy. I've read that this unit has 'sealed optics' - this is definitely not true - but to clean the unit you do need to remove the cover, the metal mesh, the PCB board and an optics cover (two small screws only) and you will have access to the optics.

The optics, and the colour wheel was full of dust (see picture) and obviously that was causing all the dust blobs on the screen. Also the optics fan (see pic) was extremely dusty!! I used an air compressor, on relatively low pressure (30psi) and cleaned the whole unit, including the optics. I did not touch any of the optics with microfibre cloths etc. as they are really sensitive - and compressed (dry) air is the best solution IMO.

Basically the process took about 30 minutes to complete, and the result was outstanding. All dust blobs disappeared and the picture quality improved. Really happy with the result. Therefore, I recommend anyone with this problem to just open the unit and give it a blast of air!! I attach a picture of the cleaned optics as well!

Feel free to contact me if you need a hand at doing this.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So funny you posted this as I did this exact same thing today. Same projector too. Dust blob that was annoying me. It appeared after I moved it and finally mounted in GF's finished basement.

...BUT...

When I put it back together and remounted it ( my mistake..I know) It wouldn't fire up. ARGHH!!!!! I knew it had to be one of those finicky wires coming from the circuit board. Took it apart..again .. and checked all the connections again. And again. And...again. Still..it wouldnt fire up. Basically it would start then immediately turn off.

Finally, I pushed on the connections one more time...and VOILA!!! She fired right up. Remounted..cussed a lil as I repositioned it and all is well. And oh yeah..we are dust blob free!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.