AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the Hoya on my AE100 - I liked the blacks and the increased contrast but I couldnt live with the low brightness. Right now I'm just projecting onto a white wall - I was thinking, maybe combining the FL-D with a high-gain screen might do the trick - I was also thinking they might cancel each other out - at least a little. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm thinking with just a decent screen (Dalite model-B matte white or video spectra 1.5 gain) you would be happy with the FL-D--A painted wall has a lot to be desired.

IMHO there are too many disadvantages with a high gain screen especially with an LCD PJ.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought around 1.2 was average gain so I guess I was thinking around 1.5 when I said high. I searched the Screen forum and found that the gain of the Parkland Plastic sheet is around 1.0 - that would be too low im guessing - darn.

Just so I'm sure I we're on the same page - my complaint about brightness with the FL-D wasn't so much that the image looked washed out with ambient light - it was that, with all the lights out daytime images looked like dusk.

Hopefully I can test drive one of those two screens with a local dealer - I'll post my results if I do - thanks a lot for the advice.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am now using this combination. I've had my V Spectra 1.5 for over a month and I just got my Hoya HMC yesterday. Preliminary results are positive but I need to play a bit more.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I too like my Video Spectra and Hoya HMC FL-D as the filtered brightness loss is compensated but the color corrective benefits remain (blacks is the same as nonfiltered matte white but better than nonfiltered video spectra). In other words it's like viewing my LT150 on a matte white screen black-wise while my reds are more saturated and my greens are reduced for better flesh tones with this combination. This would make sense as the black suffers slighlty as brightness improves with video spectra and Hoya darkens slightly to compensate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Any ideas what a Video Spectra 1.5 and Hoya HMC FL-D would do for my Panasonic PT-L711XU, as my funds are limited for a screen purchase? I have heard a Greyhawk or Da-Lite HCCV would be preferable, but they sure are expensive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What about a Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision? Gain is 1.1 and it's a gray screen. I don't see these mentioned too often (if at all).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also interested in getting the Da-lite HCCV for my AE100. Could anyone comment on this combo?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.