Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is a really simple question!!!

Is it worth getting a Hoya FL-D filter to put on a Sharp M20X?

Is there anyone out there trying this, and are the results worth it?

Hoping for some advice!

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Martin,

My personal experience was that the filter gave me some more black details (good), made me lose some brightness (bad) and somehow, I never got the colors exactly calibrated for it (pretty bad). Though, I'm sure others here have had a better experience with it.

If you're trying to get your reds better, try the config on this thread first:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=185855

The one that Darin wrote made me feel much better about my M20X colors. Plenty good enough for watching my Tivo, playing my XBox games and enjoying movies on my HTPC. :)

Hope this helps...

-eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's not colour i want to fiddle with, I'm quite happy with that!

I'm really after anyhting that will improve black levels and contrast.

I already use a grey screen, so the filter was the next thing to try.

Anyone else using the filter on this machine?

Martin

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
maj74,

What are you driving it with? Is your problem more that the blacks don't look black enough or that you can't make out enough detail? I was all ready to do an upgrade soon on my M20x until I switched from PowerDVD to TheaterTek. I noticed a huge difference in how much I could see in dark scenes like chapter 30 from LOTR. The filters are under $30, so I think it is worth it. As long as you are willing to give up some brightness. The combo I think I'm going to go with is a Hi-Power screen, a filter and settings to get the best colors. With something like 30 ft-lamberts I can make out a lot more details and with proper masking the blacks look pretty black. In fact, I think the extra brightness gives me more room to play around with the settings. With a dim image the details just disappear for me. I think Mr. Wiggles has posted before that he has never seen anybody who preferred a gray screen to the Hi-Power when he showed them both.

Also, the TheaterTek image quality advantage is mostly the new Raviscent Sonic filters. I think those can be had for about $15 from Microsoft and then combined with ZoomPlayer for those on a budget.

--Darin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.