AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched through the previous posts mentioning the Hoya FL-D, but there doesn't seem to be a specific size that AE100 owners are using. Can someone who's using the Hoya with an AE100 chime in with some info? I'd really like to pick one up before they go out of stock again. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
55mm seems the preferred size for an AE100 but it doesn't fit perfectly... needs a bit of sellotape to hold it in place apparently. I have a 52mm filter I was playing with that sits inside quite nicely but it's a bit of a pain to get back out (had to tip up the projector a little bit!)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Get the 52mm.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've got a 52mm ND filter sitting inside but there is some light scatter caused by it. I noticed it on a movie with subtitles when I could see a 'ghost' image of the subtitles off the bottom of the screen. I'd go bigger - tape required notwithstanding.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Get a 55mm to 67mm stepping ring, and a 67mm filter. I bought the cheapo ring here for $8.44:

55mm to 67mm

They also have the Hoya HMC FL-D's in stock. Probably the 55mm to 58mm or 62mm will work just as well. There is just enough thread on the stepping ring to grab the lens securely. The 55mm filter alone is not quite deep enough.

Keith.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I got a 55mm and had to use masking tape - not pretty but worked. It's slightly bigger than the panny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is there any consensus as to whether the hoya filter actually does any good on the ae100? Seems like most people who have tried it have given it mixed reviews.

I know it's a cheap tweak to try, but i'm not sure i want to bother unless it actually yields a better image on most dvds. I also don't want the inconvenience of having to attach and remove it all the time, e.g. if it only works well with 50% of the dvds out there.

btw, I'm using my ae100 on a beige wall

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I haven't tried an FL-D, but the Neutral Density filter I bought does exactly what I wanted it to - darkens the image without affecting colour. With an ND2 (aka .3 or 1 f-stop), the effect on overall brightness is quite subtle and the blacks are unquestionably enhanced. Just don't expect a night and day difference.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyG
I haven't tried an FL-D, but the Neutral Density filter I bought does exactly what I wanted it to - darkens the image without affecting colour. With an ND2 (aka .3 or 1 f-stop), the effect on overall brightness is quite subtle and the blacks are unquestionably enhanced. Just don't expect a night and day difference.
What about the CONTRAST levels? I've read that the main reason for the FL-D is for increased Contrast and a slight darkening of blacks...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, I guess that with an ND filter you're dropping both the bottom and the top by an equal amount, so I don't think there's a net difference in contrast to be gained.

I like the picture better with the filter. That's all that really matters!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went for the 55 to 58 stepup and 58mm filter works perfectly...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oddjob
Get a 55mm to 67mm stepping ring, and a 67mm filter. I bought the cheapo ring here for $8.44:

55mm to 67mm

They also have the Hoya HMC FL-D's in stock. Probably the 55mm to 58mm or 62mm will work just as well. There is just enough thread on the stepping ring to grab the lens securely. The 55mm filter alone is not quite deep enough.

Keith.
I am having a hard time finding a 55mm step-up ring that will fit the AE100. I have tried the Tiffen and Qualide brands, and I know another member has tried the K-Star brand.

Any insight would be helpful...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.