AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanna use a good filter for you projector go fo the HOYA PL.

Short on filter,

Light rays which are reflected by any surface become polarised and polarising filters are used to select which light rays enter your camara lens. PL (Linear Polarising) and PL-CIR (Circular Polarising) filters have the same effect, but it is important that you choose the correct version for your camera. They allow you to remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water, glass etc. They also enable colors to become more saturated and appear clearer, with better contrast. This effect is often used to increase the contrast and saturation in blue skies and white clouds. HOYA's polarising filters do not affect the overall color balance.

You are not gonna regret this filter!

Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe its some sort of multi coat. I also have a correction in the thread. Its not a "PL-CIR" JUST PL, what i meant to say was that it has a circular ring to adjust the amount of polarization. SO THE RIGHT FILTER IS PL. Not PL-CIR. "PL-CIR is for auto focus cameras"

About the size I'm not sure you can get a 60mm that would fit great on the panny so go for the 62mm. Also remember the filter is iron and can not expand to fit the lens, cant tell if any plastic cap PL filter will work. It has the circular ring so that you can adjust Blue, Green and Magenta.

Cheers

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the standard is double coated I don't know about hmc, but how much was yours U.S. because a 62mm Pl standard can be had for around $30 US. I can't find a price on HMC for the PL (can for the PL-cir). Maybe this will clue me in on which one you got. What would be the difference between using this filter or the Hoya D?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was about 100$ us or around there. I'm sure you cant get that filter for 30$. I tried the HOYA FL-DAY filter and I did not like the pinkie look at my screen LOL so it came off quick. I'll have a look on the net and see if I can find the right filter. All mine says is HOYA FL 62mm Japan :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
What was the subjective benefit that the polarizer provided? If you are getting better blacks for example, it may just be a result of cutting the light output.

You'll lose 1.5 to 2 stops of light going through a circular polarizer (this is a lot). Polarizers are used out of necessity for 3d applications, and polarizers are used in LCD displays themselves to make it possible to turn the pixel elements on and off.

http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/...ghtOutput.shtm
http://www.pauck.de/archive/mailingl.../msg49038.html

Some photographic polarizers are not designed for extremely high intensity light and can get burned over time.

http://www.super-klaus.de/w400e.htm

But if you're polarizing to reduce hotspotting on the screen, maybe a different screen material would be a better idea?

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"What was the subjective benefit that the polarizer provided? If you are getting better blacks for example, it may just be a result of cutting the light output."

The answer to that is simple.

To get the kind of picture that I could tolerate to look at. The whole idea was to get better blacks and also a more natural color balance. Of cause installing the filter also gave a loss in the highlights, but that didn't bother me. After trying the FL-D filter a few hours I got really tired of looking at the pinkie tones in the highlights area so it came off quick. I know that there was something that would work better then that so i just kept trying till I found the right one. And here I was ending up with the PL filter. It also worked out well that turning the filter could adjust the color balance and giving a perfect natural gray instead of that "pinkie look" I also did mention in a former thread the it would reduce about 40% of the lumen so the room needs to be dark. Still, this is based on what works out for me and what I like to look at. I only posted this to share with others that it might work out for them as well. I will still claim that the PL filter is the best for me so far and its not coming off the projector. Its been on there for 820 hours and I can not see any burnouts. If this becomes a case i will just buy a new one and install it again.

"But if you're polarizing to reduce hotspotting on the screen....."

Its not hotspotting just less light ;)

Regards,

Kent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.