AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on picking up one of the two titled LCD HDTVs within the next few days. I actually have on order the Sharp unit, but it's out of stock until next week, so in the meantime trying to find another unit as I'm tired of waiting (it's been almost two weeks, but I got the TV for a very good deal).

I've started looking at the HP model and AFAIK it's a Sharp unit. Now my dilemma is that the HP 3200N entices me a little more due to its detachable speakers, better sounds system (IIRC) and the black colour. The cable card and ATSC tuner are useless to me as in Canada, both are pretty much unsupported, plus I'd be getting a STB for HD feeds anyway.

The price difference between the two units would be about $200 CAD ($200 more for the HP); is this extra amount worth it for the HP or should I just be patient, save the $200 and stick with the Sharp?

I would appreciate some replies asap, simply cause I'm anxious, I want some HD 360 gaming. :)

Thanks very much to any opinions provided.

·
Banned
783 Posts
Download the HP manual and you will see it has CMS, etc. and seems to be much the same as the previous generation high end Sharp model. For the price, it seems very good on paper (haven't seen one yet).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does it mean that the HP is using the previous generation of Sharp flat panel technology, or is it the current gen panel, but with features from the previous gen high end? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The HP unit is similar to the SHarp LC32D4U not the DA5U. About the same price. The HP is a Sharp unit and is built along side Sharp in Rosarita Beach MX. HP has more PC usability.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Mike. So I guess the HP unit is using the same gen technology as the 32D4U? I like the features of the HP and it's colour, etc, but I don't really want to get it if it's using previous gen tech... thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
The HP unit is similar to the SHarp LC32D4U not the DA5U. About the same price. The HP is a Sharp unit and is built along side Sharp in Rosarita Beach MX. HP has more PC usability.

·
Banned
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder
Thanks for the reply Mike. So I guess the HP unit is using the same gen technology as the 32D4U? I like the features of the HP and it's colour, etc, but I don't really want to get it if it's using previous gen tech... thanks again.
The thing is, the previous gen Sharp technology is better in some ways than what is included in the current line due to cost cutting measures. Mike53, correct me if I am wrong here.:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon
The thing is, the previous gen Sharp technology is better in some ways than what is included in the current line due to cost cutting measures. Mike53, correct me if I am wrong here.:)
I think the LCD display itself on the current gen of Sharp is better than the previous from what I have read. Not sure how "much" better than the previous, but SD is supposed to be better and the response time is down to about 12ms vs 16ms for the previous gen.

The main difference from reading Mike's posts in the past is that the cost cutting measures mainly were related to taking out features that their market research showed were not necessary: PC connectivity and slightly better audio being the 2 that come to mind.

Since the HP screen is a 12ms screen I believe it is the current gen of Sharp screens and therefore you are getting the best of both worlds - the current (better) screen and all of the connectivity options of older Sharps (DVI, component etc) AND you also get HDMI.

It seems like the HP is actually a really really good screen with tons of options.

My issue would be warranty related. HP of course is who you deal with and they don't appear to offer extended warranties at this point. And CompUSA isn't offering TAP plans for these yet...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks. I guess I'll wait till Boxing day here in Canada and see what sort of pricing I can get on the HP as I got a killer deal here on the Sharp which is supposed to ship next week, so if I can get the HP before my Sharp arrives for a couple of hundred more, I will just end up cancelling the Sharp order. I think the LC32DA5U has the same audio system as the HP as I saw the unit in store last night and it did have the Mach3Bass BBE logo on it, so I guess it's the same?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The HP uses the current 12ms Sharp panels. Right in the specs. I own a HP LC3700N and basicly its simular in function to the older 37GB5U but with the newer 12ms panel. Great alternative to the new Sharps since it has CMS that is missing from a lot of the current Sharps. Has two digital inputs, DVI+audio jack and HDMI. The only issue is the that if you want to connect 2 DVI sources, the one DVI input has an audio jack so you can connect sound but if you use the a DVI-HDMI to the second digital input (HDMI) there is no input for sound. But if you are using a HDMI source then no issue since the HDMI carries audio. If you dont care about sound from the TV speakers then its a non issue. The 37" not sure about the 32" has 2 firewire ports also so you can hook a video camcorder or maybe try hooking a HTPC to off load HD content to record on the PC (havent tried this yet but would be intresting to try in the new year, not even sure if it will output and not only for input. I dont have a video camcorder to test). But over all I got the HP on sale at the Canadian BestBuy cheaper the any Sharp 37" that I was looking at. Sale is over but It was $700 off the current selling price :D . But maybe after the holidays it will come up on sale again. Also BB in Canada seems to run out very quickly on the 37" when they come up on sale :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mind PM'ing me the price you paid for the 3700N from Best Buy? If the price is right, I'd definitely consider getting that unit instead of the Sharp or the 3200N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
The HP uses the current 12ms Sharp panels. Right in the specs. I own a HP LC3700N and basicly its simular in function to the older 37GB5U but with the newer 12ms panel. Great alternative to the new Sharps since it has CMS that is missing from a lot of the current Sharps. Has two digital inputs, DVI+audio jack and HDMI. The only issue is the that if you want to connect 2 DVI sources, the one DVI input has an audio jack so you can connect sound but if you use the a DVI-HDMI to the second digital input (HDMI) there is no input for sound. But if you are using a HDMI source then no issue since the HDMI carries audio. If you dont care about sound from the TV speakers then its a non issue. The 37" not sure about the 32" has 2 firewire ports also so you can hook a video camcorder or maybe try hooking a HTPC to off load HD content to record on the PC (havent tried this yet but would be intresting to try in the new year, not even sure if it will output and not only for input. I dont have a video camcorder to test). But over all I got the HP on sale at the Canadian BestBuy cheaper the any Sharp 37" that I was looking at.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder
Mind PM'ing me the price you paid for the 3700N from Best Buy? If the price is right, I'd definitely consider getting that unit instead of the Sharp or the 3200N.
PM'd

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tinker. Can you do 1:1 mapping on the set for use as a computer monitor. Of all the lcds, this one comes the closest to meeting my needs. I would hate to buy this and then find that It won't display wxvga.

Fred

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the hp3200n a gb5u sharp and a sony xbr the hp is the new gen sharp with the cms to adjust colors and 12 ms response cable card slot and 2 ilink and dvi port. I posted that I like the hp pq better then the sony.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfish
Tinker. Can you do 1:1 mapping on the set for use as a computer monitor. Of all the lcds, this one comes the closest to meeting my needs. I would hate to buy this and then find that It won't display wxvga.

Fred
If you use the DVI at 1280x720 it wil not dot to dot map. but there is no over/underscan at all. That is what I am using. the native rez of the panel is 1366x768 and that is not a rez supported by my ATI card in the HTPC I'd have the HP hooked to. Tried the other PC rez's but there is overscan. Didnt try powerstrip since I am very happy with the 1280x720 setup. Just rem to do the sync and make sure connection is set to PC Digital. It screw me up when I 1st got the set. Didnt do PC digital and didnt get image, resolved that but image was screwed up. Then did auto sync and picture snapped in at 1280x720.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello - can one of your fellows that has a HP3700 LCD unit tell me what the dimensions of the unit are "without" the speakers attached? I can't seem to find this in the HP literature on their website - thanks!

Lewis

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisCobb
Hello - can one of your fellows that has a HP3700 LCD unit tell me what the dimensions of the unit are "without" the speakers attached? I can't seem to find this in the HP literature on their website - thanks!

Lewis
~22"Hx36.75"Wx5"D without speakers and stand. measured from bezel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.