AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP 7955 that I earmarked for HTPC use.

The only problem is that the stock Maxtor drive is a bit too noisy. In an effort to quiet it down, I went and got a Seagate barracuda IV, 60G hard drive.

I got the new drive installed and all of the files copied over, and the drive works great as the slave. When I try to make it the master via dip switches , it hangs on boot up, with an error message.

The new hard drive IS much quieter, but I can't get the PC to boot off of the new hard drive after formatting and copying all of the files over using the included software.

I've been wasting a good bit of my thanksgiving on this, and have tried it every way I can think of. Am I missing something here? Does HP do something to prevent the substitution of larger, quieter drives as the boot disk?

I'm sure I'm not the first one here to be stymied this way, can anyone give me a hint as to what to do before I take my chances with Best Buy's service techs?

Thanks for any help you contribute,

Sean

·
Registered
533 Posts
How did you setup your new drive? The most reliable way I know of to transfer a system is using DriveCopy from PartitionMagic- this will allow you to copy the partition/partitions and expand them to fill the available capacity. Then remove your old hard disk, set the new one to master, and it will boot right up. I've done this with NT, 98, 98SE, WIN2K, and XP (OEM).

Otherwise, if you're using XP, you'd want to run the system transfer utility on the first drive, then temporarily set your CDROM as the boot device (in the BIOS), remove your original HD or set it to slave, install the new HD set to master, and boot from the XP CD and install XP to the new HD.

You can't just copy files over to an HD to make it bootable- there's a bit more to it than that.

You don't mention what OS you're running. Overall, the procedure, if you use DriveCopy, is the same regardless of OS.

Best regards,

Jon

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running Windows XP and used the software that came with the drive. It had an option when copying files to make the Seagate the new boot disk and replace the old disk. All the literature claims that it should work just fine, but , as I've said, it doesn't. :(

I'll do a search on the program you mentioned.

The process you mentioned is almost the same as what I did. Run the copy utility, sea new to master and old as slave, when I try to boot back up it hangs. There are no instructions to cope with this, except to explain it as a bios size error, which it obviously is not the case if it works fine as slave...

GRRRR...

The PC techies are looking as a better and better solution! Why did I leave CA? I had a dozen friends that would have done this for a beer!

Sean

·
Registered
533 Posts
60 GB shouldn't be giving you problems- you don't run into issues with large drive addressing until above 80 GB.

Also, I've seen some disk copy programs that worked fine with WIN98 code based OS's, but stumbled on NT based code, incl. WIN2K. Problems with SID's, other stuff.

I've been using Partition Magic and Drive Copy from PowerQuest for years- there stuff appears to be the best in their categories.

PowerQuest Corp

Good luck getting it all sorted out quickly!

Best regards,

Jon

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hmmm... a million questions. what's the error message? when does it freeze? What version of XP do you have (pro or home)?

I'm not as familiar with XP but dont you have to fdisk the disk and id a bootable partition?

Phil

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the problem is you have to remove the one drive which was in there first and then fdisk the new hard drive making it the active partion or it will not boot.. then you have to make the other not active which would mean you have to delete all partions.. then format the drive that you are pulling or what ever.. reboot and enjoy..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seagate has a good program that can be downloaded from their site to

setup and install a new seagate HD. I don't have the URL but it was referenced in the instruction sheet that came with the HD, or search their site. I think it was called DiscWizard.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Don't know if this is what's goin on with your puter or not but a friend of mine tried the same thing and found out that HP puts a hidden partition on their harddrives that the install disk that came with the puter looks for and is un-tranferable to a new disk. If the install disk dose'nt read that then it's a no go. His error read that he needed a HP computer to install the software.

Hope this helps.

BTW: Don't do a fdisk on the old drive, it gets rid of the hidden partition!!

peace

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a PITA...

I'm running XP home that came with the HP... It locks up right after doing a search for the HD. No windows screen, just a blank cursor on the upper right.

Error reads that there is a problem with the boot section of the disk and to consult the hardware manual or win XP manual.

I'm thinking that this may be a problem with the MB looking for something specific on the disk to prevent users from copying XP to other drives and then using the other drives in other PCs.

I'm gonna call BB and Comp USA in the morn and see if they think they can get it to work. The program is seventy bucks with no guarantee that it'll work any better than Disk Wizard 2002 that came with the disk...

I'm betting that it is a five min work around if you know what to do... probably HP specific.

Thanks all for the replies!

Sean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here are two fixes for you. One of them are bound to work.

I don't know if you have tried this already or not, but first try leaving the Maxtor completely out of the machine when you boot. I say this because both of your drives are likely configured to be the primary partition. Get rid of the Maxtor to see if anything happens differently.

This is the most important step: Boot with your XP CD-ROM. When you get an option to do so, pick the RECOVERY CONSOLE. It will then ask you to "log-in" to a windows installation, and you will likely select "1." You will also need the administrator's password to log in to the installation.

After you get in and have a command prompt, type "FIXMBR." This should write the master boot record of your drive to make it bootable. Restart and tell me if anything happens differently.

A problem with these machines is all the hoops they make you jump through to get the bundled os loaded. I would say it best to format your new primary drive and start over, but the HP recovery disc is likely not an actual XP installation disc.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the former was tried! :( Didn't work...

The latter sounds like a good bet but the PC didn't come with a XP CD-ROM... might be able to "borrow" one though. I would have to wait till after Christmas though (vacation to CA from Christmas Eve for ten days) It does sound like it would work.

Anyone in New England have a disk they would let me borrow for a day or two?

Sean

(Thanks for the sugestions Leland)

·
Registered
55 Posts
You most likely tried plugging the new drive into the same cable connection as the old drive but if not try it. Also, although I have used the utilities that come with the drives to image a disk, I haven't ever tried to copy an NTFS drive and I wonder if that could be an issue (assuming your drive was NTFS). My only other idea would be to check in the bios and see if it currently has the settings for the primary hard drive manually set instead of being set to auto-detect. If it is manually set then it probably won't work correctly as it will still be using the old drive's settings.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My money is on a faulty disk. I just finished building a new machine, and the drive I was using as a primary refused to have the MBR set. I tried numerous things, fdisk /MBR from a WinME boot floppy didn't work, installing XP worked until the reboot, i.e. I could partition the disk, files where copied, but the MBR was never set. I have RMA'd the drive.

I did what jeep tried a while back, i.e. replaced a 40 Gig Maxtor with an 80 gig Seagate in my HTPC running XP home. I used the seagate utility to copy the old drive to the new and it worked without issues.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just another data point. While upgrading a friend's machine, we found that the hard drive was recongized by name in the BIOS, but would not boot off the drive. It was an Abit BH6 motherboard, and I don't remember the type of hard drive we were installing. What I do remember is, I did a BIOS update, and the machine then booted off the drive without a hitch. I wouldn't have thought that a BIOS update would fix something like that since IDE is so plain vanilla these days, but it did.

- Chris

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll download the latest BIOS from HP and give it a whirl. Report back later...

Thanks again for all of the good advice,

Sean

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just a shot in the dark but some PC manufacturers load their BIOS directly onto a partition of the hard drive. I know Compaq did this and if HP and Compaq are now the same company it may be the problem. SO in other words, there is no BIOS if you remove the hard drive.

Just a guess from past experience...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did update the BIOS on the computer and tried a rebot with the jumper cables set for new to master and old to slave. Also switched order of cables to put new HD at end in master spot. Got the same error as always:

"Windows could not start because of a computer hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware refrence manuals for additional information."

So basicly I'm still SOL... :eek:(

Sean

Shawn, I think the disk wizard program effectively mirrors all system files "including hidden system files to the new disk, so if it is on the old disk it should show up on the new...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I worked on an HP (VLI8) a while back and had much the same problem, couldn't get it to boot. Fdisk /mbr, sys etc etc - no go. Replaced the drive had the same problem. Finally going through the BIOS settings on the pc found one for boot sector protection(virus protection??), I turned it off redid fdisk /mbr and all was well(booted fine). What made it tough was that when boot sector protection was enabled it never gave an error when trying to write to it (fdisk /mbr), it just didn't write to it. Perhaps worth a look.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
as someone said about the hidden partion on the hard drive.. you have to do a drive copy.. you can do this with partion magic.. but yes you have to have the master primary drive as active or it will not work.. i just moved from 2 40 gigs to a 100 gig and 80 gig maxtors and had the problem with the 40s not want wanting to give up the active partion.. so it would not be recognized.. pulled the drives and put them into another computer and same trouble until i fdisked both drives and deleted all partions and set the primary active as active.. I also suggest getting rid of the HP preload crap and buy a real xp version.. one reason i will never buy a dell gateway hp compaq is the load they use is crap.. i want the software on disk so i can load what i want and how i want not what the manufacture thinks i want loaded allong with all thier crap programs..

·
Registered
55 Posts
1001 suggestions, here's #1002. Create a bootdisk (Win98, ME, 2000 or XP) but must have Format and FDisk included. Unplug the old drive and setup the new drive as master. Boot from the floppy. Run FDisk and delete all partitions then add the Primary partition. Reboot to the floppy. Format the hard-drive making sure it is bootable (FORMAT C: /S). Remove the floppy and reboot the PC. If it successfully boots to DOS then it would appear your hard drive works fine and so does the MBR. Next, try booting from the manufacturer's recovery CD and letting it reinstall the operating system and other programs. If everything works then try re-connecting the old hard drive as the slave drive and see if the system still boots. If it works then possibly just reinstall any additional programs you previously had added and copy over from the old hard drive any other saved files that you need. In a week or two when you are sure you don't need any other files off the old drive then reformat that drive or just remove it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.