Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing the HP EW5000 but have a couple of questions.

1. Why did Hp not include a digital connection? Does this really make any difference.

2. I have a 16x9 HDTV...When I view pictures or play list will the image be stretched.

3. Any comments on the system. Good or Bad...

Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I do, in fact own an EW-5000.

1. No noticeable difference here - frankly, i don't think ANY of the current generation of connected MP3 players have good enough sound processing to make a difference. I'm waiting on whatever Denon builds.

2. It displays in full-screen mode only. I don't think it will stretch unless you tell it to. I've seen one hooked up to a plasma, and it didn't stretch (but that may have been the plasma's setting).

3. I like it a LOT. It is the best GUI on any of these connected devices I have ever seen, and I believe it makes a huge difference.

My favorite feature is when I have 2 PCs (one is a desktop at home that stores my ripped CDs, the other is my laptop that I take to work) both on, the DMR automatically shows the music from both at the same time. This works great.

IMO, if you want a connected MP3 player, this is the only one worth considering. The Prismiq, Audiotron, and Motorola devices are awful.

My 2 current complaints:

* no support for WMA lossless (I ripped my entire classical collection in this mode)

* i'd like to have a front-panel LCD to navigate music without turning on the TV. That said, the GUI works so well it's really a minor complaint.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
As for digital connection:

The point is that most connected MP3 players are built so cheaply that their built-in DACs sound awful. A digital connection takes no additional sound processing, and would bypass the built-in DACs in favor of your stereo receiver's DACs. Since the connected player has to create a digital stream internally, the addition of a digital out wouldn't constitute that much extra circuitry, and would involve no extra processing, since it'd just be a tap on the digital data that's being sent to the internal DAC.

So, yeah, it'd make a difference. I'd bet money that the sound coming from a digitally connected MP3 player, playing through my Denon receiver, is going to sound better than the same player connected to the same receiver via normal analog RCA connectors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by focusguy
1. No noticeable difference here - frankly, i don't think ANY of the current generation of connected MP3 players have good enough sound processing to make a difference. I'm waiting on whatever Denon builds.

IMO, if you want a connected MP3 player, this is the only one worth considering. The Prismiq, Audiotron, and Motorola devices are awful.
I agree that the current-generation MP3 players do not have great "sound processing," i.e., weak DACs. And that is precisely why the AT is the best of the current crop. Not the best imaginable, mind you, just the best out there right now. And it's too bad, because but for this shortcoming the HP unit looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Focusguy, I have to speak up at your labelling the Motorola awful.

I own one and find it to be a great item. One of my requirements was that any such device not require a video display. Another was built-in wireless networking. I found the Simplefi to be the only viable solution.

Digital output would be icing on the cake, sure, but my application doesn't include critical listening. I break out the CD's again for that.

Chris

·
Registered
351 Posts
The following makes me baulk at the EW5000

1) Does not allow for streaming Audi of Internet radio stations..shoutcast etc.

2) Needs a TV for full control in the listening room. (I want to control via my WiFi PDA)

The only device which seems to allow for all this is one of the SlimDevices products.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IRJ
1) Does not allow for streaming Audi of Internet radio stations..shoutcast etc.

2) Needs a TV for full control in the listening room. (I want to control via my WiFi PDA)

The only device which seems to allow for all this is one of the SlimDevices products.
The Audiotron does both these things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.