AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can also confirm it. It works GREAT! This might actually be a worthwhile HTPC platform in a laptop.

I got one for work, because I was allowed to choose any laptop of my choosing. I'm pretty happy so far.

Can anyone confirm the HMDI version of the output? 1.3c?

I am having troubles getting it to talk to my Anthem D2, but it connects nicely with my Mits 738333.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've found audio HDMI on this laptop it to be somewhat disappointing, although I'm still testing and there may well be solutions I've yet to find, I've pretty much given up hope. I get the feeling the driver isn't quite up to par and the bundled media software is too poor.

Out of the box this machine and media applications mix your audio to 48kHz lpcm to either stereo or 7.1. It does not pass-through audio data to your receiver, and I can't find anywhere to make it do so. I've wasted far too many hours with this machine trying to get it to do the proper thing. My receiver is a Sony STR DA5300ES, the HDDVR, PS3, oppo981 and xbox360 are all hooked up with HDMI and do exactly what you would expect. Using the HDX-18t as an HTPC has proved very frustrating.

As things stand I have not been able to get this laptop to send surround sound to the receiver with DVD or blu-ray discs using the included software, regardless of what audio options I use in the player and audio tracks selected on the disc. So you can forget HD audio on this machine as it stands. It doesn't matter whether you have the device driver configured as stereo or 7.1, audio stubbornly remains front L+R.

For listening to music I have the driver set to stereo because it allows various processing options on the receiver, which won't work when the driver is set to 7.1. This makes sense because the receiver is being told it's getting 7.1 audio, even though it's clearly stereo from the source. The same problem exists with CDs, itunes, and media center. I feel it should automatically do the right thing with the content its playing. If a cheap oppo DVD player can, the PS3 and 360 can, why can't a laptop that costs more than them combined and doubled? Did they even test this in an HT setup?

I've yet to persuade it to send audio as-is to the receiver. Even a DTS file gets mixed and therefore fscked. The strange thing is when it's downgrading 5.1 to stereo, if you test the surround speakers from the device manager, they do make sounds.

The only way I've managed to get surround sound over HDMI with this machine is to use MPC. Whatever it does different it does right, somehow bypassing whatever HP are using to mix and send the receiver the audio data and simply sending the audio data unprocessed. Alas MPC doesn't do blu-ray.

I have not found a way to have the machine send HD audio. The player software will let you select it from the blu-ray menu, but you'll only see the same lcpm 48kHz signal on the receiver, and only front L+R will be audible.

I would like to perform the same surround tests with optical (no point with HD audio), but it looks like I need to purchase an addition non-standard cable to do so. That's no acceptable for me, I chose this machine for HDMI convenience and the supposed HD goodness. I use the PS3 for blu-ray, so it's not that big a deal, but had I purchased this laptop expecting it to deliver on what it claims, I'd be very pissed off with HP. No doubt some time in the future I'll have a need for it to work properly.

I'm wondering whether something like cyberlink's powerdvd will work around the crappy audio driver. Anyone tried it? The demo version doesn't do the HD stuff, and I'm not wasting perfectly good beer money just to test the idea.

If you're an mkv fan, MPC is all you need for your fix. The hardware does 1080p without breaking into a sweat, sending DTS or DD to your receiver properly. MPC handles DVDs just fine too.

For an expensive HD laptop, HP should fix the audio issues or bundle better software that works around it. I would have purchased another powerbook, but Jobs seems to think no one wants HDMI and blu-ray.

Should anyone overcome these problem, please post your solutions!

Quick update 2/18:

After spending almost two hours talking to three different HP techs and them replicating this in their lab, it looks like the problem is with the bundled software.

I discovered windows media player will send real surround sound data to the receiver from DVDs, HP's mediasmart won't, and windows media center crashes with every DVD I throw at it. VLC will play dts files, I haven't found anything else that will send them to the receiver intact.

Anything using Vista's mixer fails with surround sound. Because mediasmart is the only thing on the machine that will touch blu-ray, and there's no way to tell it to bypass the mixer like MPC, VLC and WMP do, there is no HDMI surround sound for blu-ray, even though the receiver will light up all speakers, the mixer simply loses all but front left and right audio for media (not config panel speak tests).

I'm using vista64 that came with the machine. Maybe other OS options don't have this problem. As it stands I've a lemon for blu-ray + HDMI audio. Other than buying commercial applications and testing them, we hit a brick wall. There is no solution unless HP pull their finger out and fix their media software.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So this past weekend, I decided to hook up the laptop to my Vizio LCD using the HDMI out. I have a number of ripped DVDs on the laptop that I'd like to play through my LCD. I was able to get the HP to recognize my LCD as a 2nd monitor and got the display up on the LCD. The resolution is great when my laptop lid is open, but as soon as I close the lid, the resolution changes on my LCD. Has anyone had this problem? I'd like to use this laptop as a blu ray player but not if it keeps changing the resolution when the lid is closed. It'd be a pain in the arse to have to keep the lid open.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy /forum/post/15845645

I've found audio HDMI on this laptop it to be somewhat disappointing, although I'm still testing and there may well be solutions I've yet to find, I've pretty much given up hope. I get the feeling the driver isn't quite up to par and the bundled media software is too poor.

Out of the box this machine and media applications mix your audio to 48kHz lpcm to either stereo or 7.1. It does not pass-through audio data to your receiver, and I can't find anywhere to make it do so. I've wasted far too many hours with this machine trying to get it to do the proper thing. My receiver is a Sony STR DA5300ES, the HDDVR, PS3, oppo981 and xbox360 are all hooked up with HDMI and do exactly what you would expect. Using the HDX-18t as an HTPC has proved very frustrating.

As things stand I have not been able to get this laptop to send surround sound to the receiver with DVD or blu-ray discs using the included software, regardless of what audio options I use in the player and audio tracks selected on the disc. So you can forget HD audio on this machine as it stands. It doesn't matter whether you have the device driver configured as stereo or 7.1, audio stubbornly remains front L+R.

For listening to music I have the driver set to stereo because it allows various processing options on the receiver, which won't work when the driver is set to 7.1. This makes sense because the receiver is being told it's getting 7.1 audio, even though it's clearly stereo from the source. The same problem exists with CDs, itunes, and media center. I feel it should automatically do the right thing with the content its playing. If a cheap oppo DVD player can, the PS3 and 360 can, why can't a laptop that costs more than them combined and doubled? Did they even test this in an HT setup?

I've yet to persuade it to send audio as-is to the receiver. Even a DTS file gets mixed and therefore fscked. The strange thing is when it's downgrading 5.1 to stereo, if you test the surround speakers from the device manager, they do make sounds.

The only way I've managed to get surround sound over HDMI with this machine is to use MPC. Whatever it does different it does right, somehow bypassing whatever HP are using to mix and send the receiver the audio data and simply sending the audio data unprocessed. Alas MPC doesn't do blu-ray.

I have not found a way to have the machine send HD audio. The player software will let you select it from the blu-ray menu, but you'll only see the same lcpm 48kHz signal on the receiver, and only front L+R will be audible.

I would like to perform the same surround tests with optical (no point with HD audio), but it looks like I need to purchase an addition non-standard cable to do so. That's no acceptable for me, I chose this machine for HDMI convenience and the supposed HD goodness. I use the PS3 for blu-ray, so it's not that big a deal, but had I purchased this laptop expecting it to deliver on what it claims, I'd be very pissed off with HP. No doubt some time in the future I'll have a need for it to work properly.

I'm wondering whether something like cyberlink's powerdvd will work around the crappy audio driver. Anyone tried it? The demo version doesn't do the HD stuff, and I'm not wasting perfectly good beer money just to test the idea.

If you're an mkv fan, MPC is all you need for your fix. The hardware does 1080p without breaking into a sweat, sending DTS or DD to your receiver properly. MPC handles DVDs just fine too.

For an expensive HD laptop, HP should fix the audio issues or bundle better software that works around it. I would have purchased another powerbook, but Jobs seems to think no one wants HDMI and blu-ray.

Should anyone overcome these problem, please post your solutions!

Quick update 2/18:

After spending almost two hours talking to three different HP techs and them replicating this in their lab, it looks like the problem is with the bundled software.

I discovered windows media player will send real surround sound data to the receiver from DVDs, HP's mediasmart won't, and windows media center crashes with every DVD I throw at it. VLC will play dts files, I haven't found anything else that will send them to the receiver intact.

Anything using Vista's mixer fails with surround sound. Because mediasmart is the only thing on the machine that will touch blu-ray, and there's no way to tell it to bypass the mixer like MPC, VLC and WMP do, there is no HDMI surround sound for blu-ray, even though the receiver will light up all speakers, the mixer simply loses all but front left and right audio for media (not config panel speak tests).

I'm using vista64 that came with the machine. Maybe other OS options don't have this problem. As it stands I've a lemon for blu-ray + HDMI audio. Other than buying commercial applications and testing them, we hit a brick wall. There is no solution unless HP pull their finger out and fix their media software.

I'm on the same boat as you!

I can't get this thing to output HD audio either

even with poweredvd 9 ultra

I don't know if its the hp or the software.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased this awesome laptop and cannot get my 56" Samsung 1080P DLP to play Blue Ray movies AT ALL via HDMI!

I can see my desktop, play other games, and watch DVDs on my DLP via the HDMI, but not Blue Ray, any idea why? The movies play fine on my laptop, but it is blacked out on my TV!?!

This is frustrating! Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed_n_Pain /forum/post/16108223

I just purchased this awesome laptop and cannot get my 56" Samsung 1080P DLP to play Blue Ray movies AT ALL via HDMI!

I can see my desktop, play other games, and watch DVDs on my DLP via the HDMI, but not Blue Ray, any idea why? The movies play fine on my laptop, but it is blacked out on my TV!?!

This is frustrating! Any ideas?

You got to turn off the laptop display, you can't both of displays at the same time. Right click on your desktop, and go into nvidia proprieties, and turn off laptop display. That should work. I had the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you guys still having problems with the audio on this machine? I am looking to get one but I know sooner or later I will be hooking it up to a home theater with 7.1 sound and I don't want to have problems. Any luck with 7.1 audio??

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've got the HDX16 and it passes through 5.1 AC3 (Dolby Digital) over HDMI from Blu-Ray using the SmartMedia player. You have to select "HDMI Pass Thru" in the player settings and the AC3 sound track on the disc.

I haven't tried passing multi-channel PCM yet.

By the way, I'm using a Sony CT 100 sound bar system for receiving the HDMI audio.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts

Quote:
it passes both video and audio 7.1 pcm. HD looks fantastic
Quote:
I've got the HDX16 and it passes through 5.1 AC3 (Dolby Digital) over HDMI from Blu-Ray using the SmartMedia player. You have to select "HDMI Pass Thru" in the player settings and the AC3 sound track on the disc.

I haven't tried passing multi-channel PCM yet.

I ordered the HP HDX 18t w/the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics card.

Still unsure what kind of audio I can expect via the laptop's HDMI out? I looked at the HDMI audio stickied thread , which suggests I won't get bitstreamed DTS-HD or DolbyTHD. So, can the laptop decode hi-res audio and send it as multichannel PCM to my receiver? Will using Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 help bridge any gaps?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneagon /forum/post/16108126

I'm on the same boat as you!

I can't get this thing to output HD audio either

even with poweredvd 9 ultra

I don't know if its the hp or the software.

Has anybody come up with a solution to the pass through of audio tracks greater than 2.0 with HDMI? Perhaps with the latest version PowerDVD 9 from cyber link?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts