AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That "pop" you hear is Assassin opening a bottle of champagne.


I'm betting another Chinese company will probably buy and trash the pc business, a la IBM's pc business, giving you yet another good reason to build your own.


Saw what I thought was a great buy on the Touchpad a couple of days ago. Glad I didn't jump at it. Is it worth buying one when they are being sold off for less then $200 in coming weeks? What happens to a tablet or phone when there is no longer any support for apps?


I used a Palm Pre Plus for a long time before finally giving up and switching to Android. I actually liked that Palm phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,121 Posts
HP sucks for this and a lot more reasons.


Long live d | i | g | i | t | a | l
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Erm, when you build your own you still get components from a Chinese company
99% of PC components are made in China these days. And Lenovo, IMB`s PC department, has been in the top spot in customer satisfaction and build quality charts for years. You can drive a tank over a Thinkpad and it will survive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
I am pretty sure that there will be support until all the current customer's warranties expire, they are not simply told to go f themselves.



OP, stop being dramatic. In the grand scheme of things nothing really changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim
I am pretty sure that there will be support until all the current customer's warranties expire, they are not simply told to go f themselves.



OP, stop being dramatic. In the grand scheme of things nothing really changes.
He said:


" What happens to a tablet or phone when there is no longer any support for apps? "



He didn't mention support for the touchpad, but the apps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020
Saw what I thought was a great buy on the Touchpad a couple of days ago. Glad I didn't jump at it. Is it worth buying one when they are being sold off for less then $200 in coming weeks? What happens to a tablet or phone when there is no longer any support for apps?
Well, HP still owns the OS. I'm sure they will try to find a buyer in an effort to raise some $$, even at a loss.

Or maybe 'Open Source' it; that would probably increase interest in it.


Regarding outdated products; if you like the TouchPad you should go for it and get an Extended Warranty with Accidental Damage coverage.

What this does is; when the product needs to be repaired (down the line) it most likely will be replaced with a similar product or the purchase price will be refunded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth
He said:


" What happens to a tablet or phone when there is no longer any support for apps? "


He didn't mention support for the touchpad, but the apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent
Regarding outdated products; if you like the TouchPad you should go for it and get an Extended Warranty with Accidental Damage coverage.

What this does is; when the product needs to be repaired (down the line) it most likely will be replaced with a similar product or the purchase price will be refunded.


Mackworth has it right. The problem isn't with the hardware. Obviously no one is going to be writing new apps or updating old apps for WebOS or the Touchpad. That would seem to be a serious problem in terms of using one of these. How long will it remain usable with the current apps? A year? Two at most. For $100 it's probably worth it. For $200, probably not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent
Well, HP still owns the OS. I'm sure they will try to find a buyer in an effort to raise some $$, even at a loss.

Or maybe 'Open Source' it; that would probably increase interest in it.


Regarding outdated products; if you like the TouchPad you should go for it and get an Extended Warranty with Accidental Damage coverage.

What this does is; when the product needs to be repaired (down the line) it most likely will be replaced with a similar product or the purchase price will be refunded.
The question then becomes what company will buy it? A lot of people keep saying "WebOS isn't dead, only the HP hardware". Palm failed, and now HP failed at it, what company is going to take webOS and spend money to do something with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth
The question then becomes what company will buy it? A lot of people keep saying "WebOS isn't dead, only the HP hardware". Palm failed, and now HP failed at it, what company is going to take webOS and spend money to do something with it?
Others are speculating over this same question:

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-sams...itor-19172945/


But taking over WebOS doesn't mean they'll be writing apps for the Touchpad or Pre.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,759 Posts
Used a pre+ for a good while. Not a bad phone OS, but not the end-all-be-all either. Everytime I read something about WebOS I always hear about what it, Could become. Hard reality is that it isn't that now, and it sure looks like it never will get to become that based on current events.


You may disagree, but imo, you're a sucker if you buy any of the current WebOS products with any expectation of any new apps/updates/fixes coming out for them.


If you like the TP as it is now (cracks in the casing, poor youtube support, no document editing, no Netflix, horrible Skype video support, etc. etc.) by all means wait until you see them flushing out on ebay and grab one. Just don't have unrealistic expectations


-Suntan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/20842084



If you like the TP as it is now (cracks in the casing, poor youtube support, no document editing, no Netflix, horrible Skype video support, etc. etc.) by all means wait until you see them flushing out on ebay and grab one. Just don't have unrealistic expectations


-Suntan

Not to mention its slow, thick, and has no developer support.


If anyone thinks that another company will purchase webOS they are high. HP will sell of the Palm assets for the patents which are actually worth something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach /forum/post/20849629


I got a 16gig off Amazon for $99 this AM, and a 32 gig for $149. Awesome, now hopefully the Android ports come.

What time did you find that? Amazon itself, or a merchant, and if the latter, who?


Man, I've been checking Amazon regularly and missed it. For that price I would definitely buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
I picked up a 16g for the $99 plus tax. Supposedly Best Buy is shipping them all back to HP but I heard that Best Buy employees get the option to buy them at $99 if they want them.


Here's hoping that we can format it and install android.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20853966


Can someone who has one of these let me know whether ESPN3 works on the Touchpad?


BTW, HP sales says they will have more in stock at the same price in a couple of days.

Yes, ESPN3 works on the TouchPad, as does Hulu or any other flash based sites. No Netflix, since it's a SilverLight sight.


To those who want Android on the TouchPad, I think it would be a downgrade. I am admittedly a big webOS fan though. Give webOS a shot.


CFC
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top