AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having issues with my MD5880n. The picture is shifted down and expanded (please see attached photos for clarification since it is hard to explain). I tried all of the picture resets and factory resets as well as removing power and rebooting the TV, but nothing seems to work. Sometimes the color looks a bit messed up too (more yellowish tint). But, none of the warning lights are on (even through the SETUP,99,OK,POWER code). Could it be the color wheel? Anyway to fix it without having a tech come over? Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. Picture size & position is not a colorwheel problem. Was the Tv physically moved to another room or another house? Is there a button on the remote labeled format, or aspect, pic size and does it do anything when pressing it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, TV wasn't touched. The problem appeared out of nowhere a couple days ago. I tried the aspect & size settings, but it didn't do anything.

I thought it may be an alignment / calibration issue with the color wheel, but maybe not???

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Wild guess is some kind of mirror/optics in the light engine has shifted, or a defective main/digital board.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I agree, it looks like something has happened to the optics. In the first picture, the looks like the upper half of the screen has been expanded vertically to fill the whole screen.

Would you mind posting a picture of the Optical Alignment screen from the service menu? To enter the service menu:

Press Source, -, CC, SAP

Then select OpticalAlignment.

Press Settings to exit. If anything is still acting odd with the menus, go back into the service menu, and select the Exit option.

Don't touch any other settings in the service menu unless you know what you are doing. For example, ADC Calibration can screw up your component inputs if you do not have test pattern signal generator.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Giving this some more thought, I believe the last mirror in the light path is mounted just inside the back of the set. If the top of the mirror detached and dropped down a bit, that would explain the image being shifted down a little and expanded vertically, as shown in your pictures.

If this is the situation, the picture might be very sensitive to gentle tapping along the back. If the mirror is dangling, gentle tapping should have a large effect on the image. However, be careful. If the mirror is "hanging by a thread", you don't want to do anything that might cause it to detach completely and cause damage or break.

If it is the mirror, you should be able to access the mirror by removing the screen. I think others have done this to remove dead bugs and spider webs, but maybe I read about that in threads for other sets.

Although the service manual is not great, it does describe how to remove the screen. I don't think it is too hard. You remove the speaker covers (which I have done) to gain access to the side supports, and there are screw covers along the top for the top support.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I will send you the service manual. It's about 2.4MB.

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. Good news is that the TV started working great again last night. Bad news is that I have no idea how it happened. I had just unplugged it for about 24-36hrs and came home and tried plugging it in again and it worked! Maybe I accidently tapped the back and it knocked the mirror into place as Dave was suggesting. I'm not sure how long this will remain working, but fingers crossed, it's back to good...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.