AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just recently, my Mediasmart System drive failed. It flashes the Red light 10 times, over and over.

If I reboot it, it will work for approx. 1 hour, then will fail again.

I have 4 2TB WD Green drives in it, Mirrored on Raid 5.

How can I go about restoring this without losing all of the Data (about 7TB Mirrored) on it?

If I need to send it back to HP for work, will I need to send it back in with ALL drives installed? Is there a way to remove all of my Data drives and just have the system drive restored?

Or is there a way to Restore the system drive myself without having to send it in? I'd HATE to have to lose all of that data...

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmmalice /forum/post/19582700

I have 4 2TB WD Green drives in it, Mirrored on Raid 5.

How can I go about restoring this without losing all of the Data (about 7TB Mirrored) on it?

Something doesn't add up here.

Is it a RAID 5 (Striping with parity) which would give you about 6TB of storage over 4 2TB drives?

In order to get 7TB worth of storage out of 4 2TB drives you'd have to use a RAID 0 array which is striping. It's a non redundant array and a single drive failure is usually enough to lose everything.

I'd use your uptime to backup your information as much as possible, if one of those drives permanently fails you're going to lose all of your data if it's set as a RAID 0.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I'm not sure if it's Raid 0 or raid 5.The only thing I AM sure of, is that I have Mirroring turned on...

It it possible to just replace/restore the system drive without losing any of the other Data?

I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to back it all up onto another device though. I don't have that much storage elsewhere. I think I have 4TB on my HTPC that I MAY be able to move it to. I'm just not sure how big of a chunk I can move in my uptime.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Check to see if your main (OS) drive has a second partition on it. If so, that probably contains the restore files. You could probably copy those over to another drive during your up time. Alternatively, HP might send you a DVD/CD.

I wouldn't send an entire computer in for a bad drive, especially if it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just worried that if I removed all of the storage drives and only sent in the system drive to be fixed, it would damage the array and basically screw all of the data on the removed drives.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I'm not familiar with what's needed to create the array of drives, but my thought would be more to ignore HP and just install a new OS drive. Hopefully it's only that drive that's at issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts