AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is definitely some background noise going on with my measurement setup and I would love to solve it.

The DCX increases that noise too. Even with normal AVR/Amps -> speakers I can hear the background noise.

I did the loop test with HOLM and it shows the soundcard is okay for measuring, I just wish that annoying sound was not there.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18250876

Try unplugging your laptop from the wall. I had noise with a similar setup (actually strikingly similar - HP notebook, Vista, M-audio, ECM8000) and found that unplugging from the wall got rid of it. Worth a shot.

I get terrible noise with my HP laptop on AC power, unplug it and it goes away

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that did the trick!

I also did some testing with my Panamax and Monster power conditioners (Yes, I do own some of these!). They do NOTHING...dammit!!

So what is a permanent sort of solution to this? Digital out on my HTPC has no problems but the analog sound card used for testing definitely has issues when plugged in.

Maybe there isnt another solution and I can live with my notebook unplug but only for 30 Minutes since the battery life sucks on that one.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Penn: get a transformer isolator, that will heal your ground loop when you have the laptop plugged into the wall.

1/2 hour battery life?! You need a new 12 cell battery to go 4 hours...

You are going from unbalanced 1/4" correct? If so, you should have a pair of 1/4" mono to RCA adapters and then RCA cords to your AV receiver.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/ci2rr.pdf

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/18254490

Penn: get a transformer isolator, that will heal your ground loop when you have the laptop plugged into the wall.

1/2 hour battery life?! You need a new 12 cell battery to go 4 hours...

You are going from unbalanced 1/4" correct? If so, you should have a pair of 1/4" mono to RCA adapters and then RCA cords to your AV receiver.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/ci2rr.pdf

thanks! I have seen those transformers many times, just never ordered one yet.

Yeah, I need a new batter

Im going 1/4" unblanced directly into the DCX for testing. I also have the 1/4" to RCA plugs with RCA cables that I did use to go into my AVR.

I have tried it both ways. direct to the DCX was easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts