Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the options available for video card

128MB Integrated Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce 7100),

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter,HDMI

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS, DVI-I, HDMI, VGA adapter

Which would be the best card, Also which version of Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

This is what I would like to do with this system:

Play bluray/hddvd to pioneer elite pdp1540hd (connected either by hdmi or pc connection on tv for 1:1 pixel mapping).(Running 5.1 audio thru Pioneer vsx-94txh).

Connect 2 sony vaio vgp-xl1b2 200 disc carousels thru firewire daisy chained.

Playback of video stored on hdd.

I will also be streaming music and video as the tv and av receiver are both network capable. (this would be my preference as space requirements of the 2 disc changers is a concern)

Could somebody please comment on the slimline 3500t and recommend the best video card offered in the group above. I was thinking of getting the 1Tb hdd with this unit as well, what do you think.

I am also seeing this unit offered with an amd processor as well. Any preferences?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you choose blu-ray drive, the configurator will tell you what you need. I believe you need to choose the FeForce 9300 with HDMI because of the HDCP issue.

From what I heard, Vista 64 has slightly better performance but 32-bit gives you the best compatibility with legacy device drivers. With the stuffs you want to do, I will go with 32-bit.

I don't know how you can switch between 32 and 64 though. Since there is no system disks included. The Recovery Disk only recover back to the factory default, I believe.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmendrick /forum/post/14312259

These are the options available for video card

128MB Integrated Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce 7100),

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter,HDMI

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS, DVI-I, HDMI, VGA adapter

Which would be the best card, Also which version of Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

Play bluray/hddvd to pioneer elite pdp1540hd (connected either by hdmi or pc connection on tv for 1:1 pixel mapping).(Running 5.1 audio thru Pioneer vsx-94txh).

I will also be streaming music and video as the tv and av receiver are both network capable. (this would be my preference as space requirements of the 2 disc changers is a concern)

Could somebody please comment on the slimline 3500t and recommend the best video card offered in the group above. I was thinking of getting the 1Tb hdd with this unit as well, what do you think.

I am also seeing this unit offered with an amd processor as well. Any preferences?

The 9500 has full offload acceleration for VC-1 (bitstream) with VP3. I don't know about the 9300.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must make a decision TODAY!! What do you think of this set-up........

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4700 (2.6GHz) edit

Memory 3GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (1x2048,1x1024) edit

Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS, DVI-I, HDMI, VGA adapter edit

Networking 802.11 b/g USB Wireless LAN card edit

Hard drive 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive edit

Primary CD/DVD drive Blu-ray / HD DVD player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner edit

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, headphone port edit

TV & entertainment experience ATSC & NTSC TV tuners with PVR, remote edit

Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports edit

Security software No additional security software edit

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0 edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse edit

Removable Storage 160 GB 5400rpm HP Pocket Media Drive

All for less than 1K Shipped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can somebody please help me with my decision on this htpc setup...

One other question I have is will this setup play audio in the new dts master and true HD audio formats and if not what else is needed as an upgrade?

Thanks........

·
Registered
827 Posts
This config will do fine. 9500GS can decode Blu-ray without problem. CPU is little on low side, but more than enough for what you want to do.

I would suggest you buy the system from HP, but buy upgrades like HDD/Memory from other retail locations. It will be lot cheaper that way. Anyway, its your preference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are the cpu available, which would be the best of the group:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4700 (2.6GHz)

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E7200 (2.5GHz, 3MB)

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9300t

the last option is a 350.00 upgrade, the others are 50.00-100.00 of each other

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , I admit I am not a computor genius and have no idea which processor or video card will give me all I need for now and into the future. I don't want to spend 1K plus on something that will need to be upgraded in the next 6-12 months.

I would like stutter free play back of bluray and hddvd and also be able to get the new audio formats (dts-master and true hd)

I am currently able to do this with my stand alone blu ray player and hddvd player thru my pioneer 94txh.

I was considering buying another bluray player for the bedroom setup and thought spending 4-5 hundred dollars for another stand alone, I could spend a few bucks more and get an HTPC set up for the family room and move the stand alone players to the bedroom.

I until the end of day today to get the hp at 400.00 off.

So timing is everything. totalo cost is $939.00 w/discount code.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think any of the Core 2 processors should do blu-ray fine. I have the s3300t with and E4500 and have never had a blu-ray or HD-DVD playback problem. Your graphics card should offload a lot of the processing too.

On the other hand if you plan to do a lot of encryting or video editing the Quad might be worth it for speed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi, i just like to ask all Slimline owners if you encounter heat issues? I've been looking at this slimline for quite sometime now but haven't pulled the trigger yet. However, my bro-in-law just bought one just recently but decided to return it. He said the first time he set it up he felt the slimline was too hot to touch and even mentioned a burnt smell. I've read some reviews with slimlines dying due to overheat. Just wanted to check if this might be just some isolated issues and that some slimlines just had problems.

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 /forum/post/14717918

Hi, i just like to ask all Slimline owners if you encounter heat issues? I've been looking at this slimline for quite sometime now but haven't pulled the trigger yet. However, my bro-in-law just bought one just recently but decided to return it. He said the first time he set it up he felt the slimline was too hot to touch and even mentioned a burnt smell. I've read some reviews with slimlines dying due to overheat. Just wanted to check if this might be just some isolated issues and that some slimlines just had problems.

I've had a s3300t for about 9 months and no overheating problems. In fact, no real problems at all except getting it configured right software wise.

It does get quite warm playing blu-ray but not too hot to touch or anything. I have it sitting on its side and although it has some ventilation around it, it is in a cabinet so it probably runs a little warmer than it would otherwise.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny_TC /forum/post/14718548

I have not had a problem yet (about 2 months), but it does get hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC /forum/post/14723659

I've had a s3300t for about 9 months and no overheating problems. In fact, no real problems at all except getting it configured right software wise.

It does get quite warm playing blu-ray but not too hot to touch or anything. I have it sitting on its side and although it has some ventilation around it, it is in a cabinet so it probably runs a little warmer than it would otherwise.

Thanks for the replies. That's good to know then. My bro-in-law will return it and request for a replacement. I may get one for myself later, spent too much already for the month. (PS3 and Sony CT100)
I'll just have to check out my bro-in-law's slimline when he gets the new one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry to ressurect this thread but I figured it might be worth it. I've got a new Slimline 3500T and had a question... is there any way to get the advanced audio codecs out of this thing? I've got the 9500 for the video card.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've never tried anything but TrueHD and there's no way really. If you have PowerDVD8 though it'll downmix TrueHD to DD or DTS 5.1 which is probably good enough unless you have a high-end sound system.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was wondering if I could add a low profile analog sound card to do 7.1 out and then have PowerDVD decode. Not sure on the power requirements though since this thing is so lightweight. The fan noise on the 9500 is driving me a bit nuts unfortunately also

1 - 20 of 20 Posts