AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tryied searching on google so I thought id ask you pros to get an answer.I got to simple questions that i'd like some help with

1. Would it be possible to turn a HP Porliant DL160 G5 into a HTPC ??

2.I have an HP Proliant ML 570 G2 Server and want to run it as a HTPC. Is there any possible way to get Windows Home Server 2007 installed onto the system ??

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandob /forum/post/14253461

I tryied searching on google so I thought id ask you pros to get an answer.I got to simple questions that i'd like some help with

1. Would it be possible to turn a HP Porliant DL160 G5 into a HTPC ??

2.I have an HP Proliant ML 570 G2 Server and want to run it as a HTPC. Is there any possible way to get Windows Home Server 2007 installed onto the system ??

1 - Don't see why not, as long as you can get Vista drivers for it. Unless it has a full height PCI-E 16x slot for a video card upgrade, you're going to be stuck with no hardware video acceleration.

2 - Should be able to use the Windows Server 2003 drivers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your only possible problem would be drivers, especially if you're going to use an OS on either server other than what it was designed for (Likely Windows 2003/2008). All you can do is try, I just wouldn't bet on it if it's going to cost you money...but I assume it's not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys for your helpful expertise

I did go and try it but for some reason after the OS begins installation it freezes (maybe the DVD is a bit screwed ?)

When I tried using the SmartStart software it wasnt supported.

Im guessing I probably need one of those HP MediaSmart Home servers ahah

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandob /forum/post/14253612

Thanks alot guys for your helpful expertise

I did go and try it but for some reason after the OS begins installation it freezes (maybe the DVD is a bit screwed ?)

When I tried using the SmartStart software it wasnt supported.

Im guessing I probably need one of those HP MediaSmart Home servers ahah

SmartStart will definitely not work if you're installing anything other than Windows Server 2000/2003/2008. You'll want to boot and install directly off your operating system CD, bypassing Smartstart. Probably the only hurdle you're going to run into is the initial part of the install where it detects your storage devices. You'll need to download the F6 driver diskettes from HPs website for the different operating systems that are supported. Hopefully one of those will work. If none of them detect your drives/RAID array then you won't even be able to install the OS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts