AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my daughter's new HP Slimline for an HTPC and have hit a few bumps. She found she has a DVI rather than an HDMI conector. I see converters but are they all the same. I may have one from 3yrs back. Is an HDD connected through the USB 2.0 connector fast enough to play back video? I want to provide additional HDD capacity and am looking at options.

Looking on New Egg I saw no PCI expressx 16:1 cards with HDMI??

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
As far as I know the converters are all the same. DVI just doesn't have audio, HDMI can. I have a HP Slimline w/ a new card and I convert from HDMI to DVI.

Not sure about your USB question.

·
Registered
273 Posts
what model hp slimline, and i wouldn't use usb 2.0 for hd movies.... but you can get sata expansion cards cheap as well....

As for the video card, if you have a pci express 16 lane spot the hd5450 can come half hieght and passively cool...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DVI to HDMI did not work but it has a Mini port?? Searched Newegg and saw an HDMI adapter for it. Seems to cost more than a HDMI card but this mini-port is new to me.

What are good uses for it?

I guess a pci x card is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.