AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Sorry if this has been covered but could not find any info.
HP Stream 200 Mini-PC and Stream 11 Laptop look very interesting as potential candidates for the Kodi media players.
Ideally I'll dual boot Win 8.1 & Openelec, 2nd choice-install Kodi with Win 8.1 or lastly just Openelec.
I don't care about the reduced HD space from the Win install as all content resides on a NAS.

Either surface look to be better options than a Chromebox?
The Stream 11 laptop would be ideal, screen keyboard and mouse for an extra $30.
Only downside no gigabit wired nic, but for $30 you could add a USB nic.

Comparisons:
$179 HP Chromebox-2955U processor, wired gigabit, 16gig SSD
$179 Stream Mini-PC uses a 2957U processor, wired gigabit 32gig SSD
$199 Stream 11 laptop N2840 processor, wireless only -add a usb to gigabit- 32gig ssd, display keyboard.

What does the collective think?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
My recommendation would be Chromebox with OpenELEC if you don't need Netflix & other premium content apps, and if you don't need Minecraft or similar gameplay. Otherwise, HP Stream Mini is a great deal at about $20 or so more with Windows 8.1 with Bing. HP is $179, while Chromebox you can get around $150-159. Between the 2955U & 2957U, there will be negligible performance difference, but Stream Mini has better Windows support (drivers) vs. trying to do dual-boot on Chromebox. Stream 11 laptop, I have no idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts