AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my xb31 a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier! I thought about posting my comments in the thread asking about the "best DLP in the $3500-5000 range", but decided to let that get back to that specific question - altho there's some great xb31 dialog there...

A bit of background. I've been reading this forum for nearly a year when I decided I wanted to pursue a projector for the HT. This is my first projector so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Please take my comments in that vein.

I was able to see both LCD and DLP projectors in a couple different settings. I quickly found that I do not have "rainbow-itis" and that screendoor really bothers me. The DLPs I saw just showed a better picture - "warmer" is a term that comes to mind.

In addition to the xb31 the LT 150z was on my short list. Altho I was unable to see either projector I felt confident buying sight unseen after reviewing this forum and other sources. I know this violates recommendation's on this forum, but you must be able take comments with a grain of salt and I felt I filtered the info available to narrow it down to these two pjs.

The LT 150z was high on the list because of all the great comments here and the price point. The HP xb31 got the nod for several reasons. First I am unable to 100% control the light in my room. The higher lumen rating of the xb31 was a plus. The newer technology of the xb 31 was also a decider. As I mentioned I do not see rainbows, but I didn't want the family or friend to see them either. So far, 12 or so people have seen the display and no complaints of rainbows - just WOW!

My buying experience was interesting. I called 6 internet companies that deal in projectors and got several comments such as "If I could get a DLP with 1500 lumens, 1800:1 contrast ratio for $3700, I'd get one myself!", and "I heard HP was making a pj but they're not out yet", to "No, don't carry those". Anyway I called PCNation and ordered one up. I called them on Wed mid-day and received it on the next Friday - free 2 day FedEx! $3506 was the total.

A couple of specific comments... There are 3 inputs - composite, s-vid and M1-DA. The M1 input is where all computer and component go. This is perhaps a bit non-standard because I have been unable to find a component vid cable to go direct from my DVD player to this input. The HP sales guys was unable to find one so any help here would be greatly appreciated!

The pj is really small - about the size of a Tom Clancy hardback book. At 3.3 lbs a ceiling mount will not have to be huge to hold it.

It does spill a lot of light so a "blackout box" may in the future.

Another owner/poster stated that the PQ seemed to get better after a few hours on it. An odd comment I thought until I saw the same thing! I don't understand why but it seems to be getting better. Maybe i'ts my eyes getting used to the display or the machine is actually "breaking in". I've done some tweakage but not much...

I'm currently projecting on a painted sheetrock wall - still deciding what screen to get or to "goo" it.

Overall, I am extremely happy with what I got for my hard-earned bucks. I like the size of the image, the brightness, the sharpness and the overall picture quality.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Congrats. Can you describe the black and low level details from dark movies like Pitch Black, Dark City, From Hell, etc. Here is pricegrabber's list for your 6 feet component->M1-DA cable (sorted by shipped price): http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...ae428dd7ec029/

Ironically PCNation had it too though slightly more expensive ($61 shipped). This guy was the cheapest shipped ($54--kinda steep for 6 feet but you don't have much choice) with good feedback ratings: http://www.cruxworks.com/cruxworks/s...8&f=PG&pc=KQ08

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Could you also (after you've had a chance to play with this more) comment on light spill, specifically where it is coming from.

I take it the projector will accept a standard VGA (computer) feed?

This projector, with its 12 degree mirrors, shows us the impact of the next generation TI chip is going to be very significant!

Dan

·
Premium Member
24,814 Posts
Dan,

"This projector, with its 12 degree mirrors, shows us the impact of the next generation TI chip is going to be very significant!"

You would have thought so, but Dan Miller in the Special Guest forum says not, that the HD2 was designed primarily to reduce cost.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Noah,

Are you old enough to remember Adam Osbourne? Both TI and Marantz wants you to buy a HD 1 projector NOW, not wait around for the new HD 2.

After all it will probably be next year at CES before the 16:9 DLP 2 projectors are really available. Lets wait to see what they say AFTER the new projectors are available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments!

Huey, to address the black levels... Again I am a bit of a novice but will try to put into words what I see. The things that should be black appear, well, black. Black shoes, black suit, black tires are all very black. To be honest I have not looked at the movies you recommend, but the detail in the shadowy scenes seems good - perhaps not fantastic, but I have some theories and possible solutions. The bad news is that I am unable to 100% control the lighting in my room; the good news is that we live in the country and when the sun goes down it gets really dark. I have seen a dramatic improvement in shadow detail when the room is dark - and yes I am actively working on controlling the light - w/in WAF of course! I also think a proper screen will make a huge difference in the shadow details and all around performance. I'm still in decision-making-mode on the screen. It will only get better!

Thanks also for the cable info - exactly what I needed!

Dan - the pj takes all computer input thru the M1-DA port. There is a VGA to M1 cable included with the pj. Light spill is primarily out of the left, front vent (left as if you're standing behind the pj facing the screen). It is clearly a business machine as evidenced by the laser pointer built into the remote!

·
Premium Member
24,814 Posts
Carl,

"Are you old enough to remember Adam Osbourne? Both TI and Marantz wants you to buy a HD 1 projector NOW, not wait around for the new HD 2."

I hear you, but Dan Miller seems like a standup guy. Seems to me he'd just be quiet rather than outright deceive and risk his reputation.

But now that you mention it, he didn't say that the HD-2's wouldn't be much better, just that if they were, it wouldn't be because of the DMD.

·
Premium Member
24,814 Posts
Dubya,

Thanks for referring me back to this thread, I had forgotten about it.

If you play an anamorphic DVD, is there a mode that will leave it full screen with tall skinny people? That would make it amenable to use with an anamorphic lens.

Do you have an HD source, is the same mode available?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
noah,

when fed an anamorphic signal, the xb31 (incorrectly) shows it as 4x3 unless you go into the on screen menus and change the aspect to 16x9.

steven

·
Premium Member
24,814 Posts
Steven,

Great, that's correct for an anamorphic lens.

Any idea if it would do the same if given 720P or 1080i?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.