AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not currently own a projector. I have been doing a lot of reading and need to follow-up with actually viewing some models at a showroom. From my research I am considering a Sanyo XP21N (a friend has one and highly recommends it).

Recently I have been reading about the HP XB31 and this looks great on paper. I am hoping to use the projector in a family room with limited light control as well as using it outside (in the evening) for the occasional family party. The light weight of the HP lends itself very well to this kind of multi-purpose use.

Is the XB31's 1500 lumens sufficient to use before complete darkness outside? For that matter is the XP21N's 2500 lumens? Eventually I will have a dedicated, light controlled theater, but I will still want to use it outside if possible.

·
Registered
785 Posts
John,

I have not seen either of these projectors in a "dirve-in" setting, but I would think either of them, at 1500 lumens and 2500 lumens would work quite well--even without waiting for total darkness.

I get by with a measly 700 lumens from an Infocus 425 DLP. I get a decent picture once it gets fairly dark (just a bit more than dusk), and the picture gets really good when it's completely dark. I use a screen that's approximately 14' by 9'. so the picture is pretty big. Also, many people have had great success with the Infocus LT150, which is 1000 lumens--still 30% less lumens than either of the models you're looking at. You'll never get as great a picture outdoors as you do indoors, just because of the big screen size...but people don't seem to mind. Most are just thrilled by the whole idea. Also, because you're outside, you tend to watch kids'/family movies, which are usually brighter (Toy Story, Austin Powers, etc.). I don't think the Matrix would look good outdoors with any projector!!

I envy you! I think either of those would throw a pretty good picture even at dusk. Kind of like a conference room with the lights on situation--which is what they're made for.

If it were me, I'd make my decision based on which projector would be best in my HT setup, because that's much more critical, and that's where you'll want really great PQ. Either of these two will work for outdoor, where PQ is much less critical. Hope this helps.

mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.