AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am able to purchase an HP XB31 from HP at a discounted price, around $3200. I have read all the good information on these forums about the XB31 and it must really be impressive. I am upgrading from a Sharp XU37 of 1996 vintage which has served me well. My inclination before reading these forum comments was to take a deep breath and buy the Sharp 9000.

I have seen the Sharp in a friends home and it is superb. Yet, $9000+ is a big bite when other alternatives such as the HP XB31 show up. So the question is whether the Sharp 9000 is 3X better than the HP.

Any insights appreciated from this knowledable universe of participants.

·
Registered
164 Posts
rwag100,

I recently purchased an xb31 and I like it a lot although I would certainly trade it for a Sharp Z9000(higher resolution/better color saturation especially with HDTV). I have seen the Z9000 in person and it is truly amazing but ONLY when you can completely control ambient light. Any amount of stray light DOES decrease the image quality considerably. Even when a refregirator was opened in the room, the image lost some of its punch. The higher lumens, in my opinion, is the only major technical advantage that the xb31 has over the Sharp. I didn't notice a drastic advantage in contrast, even with low contrast DVDs like "Dark City". The 16:9 panel of the sharp really shine on HDTV material. Better than the xb31. My friend, who owns the sharp, was distracted by the light spray(top and bottom due to its 4:3 panel) from the xb31 when watching 16:9 material. This doesn't really bother me but If it's an issue for you, the sharp would be the better choice. I didn't notice ANY light spill(around the projected image) from the sharp at all which really looks nice and clean but some can argue that even this could be mitigated on the xb31 to some degree by using blackout material around the screen or a panamorph lens. Adding these extra's to the xb31 would still be cheaper than buying the sharp.

Also, If you're primarily watching dvds/TV and not a lot of HDTV, I don't think the sharp is worth the extra money, in my opinion. It's certainly not 3x better. The biggest advantage that I have is that my PJ is paid off while my friend is still paying for his. If sharp had a lower price tag on the Z9000, I probably would have bought it. The xb31, however, really represents the best bang for the buck. It's certainly a lot(16:9 mode on ALL sources, Component input, DVI input, High contrast, High lumen output, HDTV compatability) of projector for the money. At $3,500, there are usually more compromises.

Russell

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know the Sharp is great, but we can't afford it.

If you don't have alot of HD ( 720P or 1080i) sources, then the sharp really isn't a big deal. It looks like most PJs above $3K will play DVDs great.

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of waiting things our until this fall.

Prices will fall until the new models come out starting in Oct.

For now, I'm thinking of buying the AE100. I think it will pay for itself it I can live with it for 6 months or so.

Current PJs should drop while new hot stuff should come in around $5K-$7K. The sharp should drop when someone comes into the market under them.

Final investment 6 to 12 months from now $5k-$7K, which is the cost of the AE100 plus the new PJ cost.

Smile

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Russell1,

I now have the xb31 installed using component video connections. DVD's look very good. In particular Moulin Rouge showed well.

I'm still not sure though whether I will keep it. The light spill is a bother and the focus is a bit whishy washy. Maybe I need to use a calibration DVD and see how it does after some more fine tuning. Coming from a Sharp XV 37 vintage 1996 it is better but not a blow- away.

I'm very intrigued by the many Japanese Sharps being offered for around $5200. May like to take a stab at one of them anyway.

Ralph

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am new to the forum and this question may show my naivete. Why are all the manufacturers of front projector names given except XB31?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the information. Projector Central does not list the spec. on this projector for comparison purposes. I wanted to make sure we were talking about the well known computer manufacturer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.