AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1213 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you ever get the Windows 10 installer to work? I've tried upgrading through Windows 7, by USB, and DVD but the same thing happens every time...I get the blue Windows 10 logo and the USB or DVD is accessed continuously for about 15 minutes and then everything goes idle.

If BigWorm or anyone else who was able to make this work would share their insight I would be grateful...
I wish I had better news, but I'm still totally stuck. I was able to upgrade it to Windows 8.1 - but every attempt to go to Windows 10 has failed. :(
I've tried a lot of different troubleshooting recommendations, but nothing has helped at all.

Hoping someone here will figure it out....

·
Registered
12 Posts
z558 upgrade status?

I just picked up a new MOBO to give my z556 some newer life.

I decided that I didn't want to gamble with buying a z565 MOBO and not have the HDMI sound work so I am going to carve out the back of the case to fit a standard I/O plate for a standard uATX MOBO.
It might be a little while but stay tuned.
Hi Hazardsneon, How is your upgrade progressing? I am wondering because I'm considering performing a similar operation on my HP z558 Digital Entertainment Center.

Some recent history... the power at my house recently went out and back on, after which my z558 would not power on. Having replaced my power supply multiple times in the past, I assumed the ThermalTake power supply was to blame. ThermalTake sent a replacement, but when I hooked it up, it still would not boot. After some isolation, I discovered the fault was with the motherboard... after installing a refurbished PTGD-LR motherboard which I purchased from Ascendtech for $19.99, my z558 is back in operation.

While I was busy isolating the problem, I learned a bit more about the innards of my z558. I'm considering doing like you and cutting the back of the case to fit a standard microATX I/O shield so that I can install more modern (and faster) components. I'm more interested in performance and future-proofing than expense at this point.

My z558 is installed in a "theater room" in my home. It stays powered on continuously. It is running Windows 7 32-bit and I have a Blu-Ray driver/burner in it. Here are some of the functions it performs:
(1) I have a personal/family web-site that it serves, thus allowing me to access content from anywhere with Internet access. We keep our family's media (i.e. family pictures, family videos, etc.) on it.
(2) It is running Embedded Automation's mcontrol software to perform home automation (I have a variety of home automation devices, including Insteon switches, an IP camera, etc. in my home).
(3) We have 5 XBOX 360s in our home that we use primarily as Media Center Extenders to access content from the z558 from any television.
(4) The z558 is connected to a projector/AV stack that allows us to watch movies and TV in the theater room. I did a bit of customization such that we can insert a disk (DVD or BluRay) in the z558 and it automatically turns on and configures the projector and AV receiver, dims the lights, makes an announcement regarding the movie is starting and turn off your cell phones ( :) ), plays a brief customized introduction, and then plays the inserted disc.
(5) I use the personal media drive slot to perform backups... switching drives monthly such that I always have a backup stored in a fireproof vault that is no older than 1 month. For me, this is an important feature of the z558.

Here is what is in my NewEgg shopping cart (i.e. what I'm considering buying):
- GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($114.99)
- Intel Core i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 ($329.99)
- G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform ... ($62.99)
- Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM ($6.49)

I'll probably just use a Dremel to cut the back of the case.
At least at first I plan to stick with the current operating system (due to time constraints in dealing with my customization and also I'm not sure whether all of the software/drivers I use having 64-bit equivalents). In the future I might upgrade to Windows 8.1 64-bit, if performance/capacity seems lacking. The memory is really overkill, since I think I'll only use half of it while I'm still on a 32-bit operating system.

I realize that most people would prefer to just switch solutions altogether, but I've never been accused of being like most people. :)

Anyway, since you've been down this road, I'd appreciate any insight you may have... if you learned anything by doing your upgrade, or having any suggestions regarding my proposed new components.

Thanks!
Arden

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am very excited that someone else is doing this as well!!

It sounds like you will benefit greatly from this upgrade and I think that your upgrades and mod sound awesome!

My progress is pretty slow.

The only progress I've gotten done is still in the planning. I grabbed a uATX PC case and measured out the cutout that I will be making, with reference to the mounting hole closest to the I/O shield. I haven't gotten a chance to see where the cutout will land on the z556 chassis. I also replaced the caps on that MOBO that I picked up.

I'm pretty busy with school and work so it might be a couple more weeks until I get to hack into my z556. I have a break week around Thanksgiving and I'm hoping I can make it happen then.

Once I chop the hole, I'm planning on drawing up a template so if there are other crazy people out there they would be able to cut the hole without the guess work.

I wish I had more progress but that's how it goes. If you get it done first, I might be pinging you for input :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking for a Z565 if someone is looking to sell. Ideally, you'd have the complete package including the DEC, keyboard and remote, but I can live without the remote and IR receiver if need be.

Let me know if there's anyone out there that has one laying around they'll let go of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever get the Windows 10 installer to work? I've tried upgrading through Windows 7, by USB, and DVD but the same thing happens every time...I get the blue Windows 10 logo and the USB or DVD is accessed continuously for about 15 minutes and then everything goes idle.

Now that I followed the advice here in the forum and said goodbye to my third POS HiPro power supply and replaced it with a Raidmax RX-1000AE I have a renewed interest in upgrading the OS. By-the-way the RX-1000AE may be overkill but it's whisper quiet and matches the DEC cabinet color perfectly. (Many thanks to "ArdenPrinz" and "Dave's Q&A" for the information on how to do this!) Now that the power supply is outside the DEC everything is running much much cooler.

I've let it sit for hours on the blue Windows 10 logo but nothing else ever happens. I've tried playing with the BIOS settings and disconnecting everything but one monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse but I can't get past this point. I've searched the web and there are so few HP DECs out there and even less z565s that I've run into a wall. I did see a couple posts from people who also had Pentium D processors saying that they initially had some issues, but eventually were able to install without a problem.

If BigWorm or anyone else who was able to make this work would share their insight I would be grateful...

Hate to burst your bubble but windows 10 does not support the processors from this series and will not install, but there is nothing wrong with windows 7 on this machine. This is still going strong for me I took out the Wifi card and replaced it with a Startech 4 port PCI superspeed usb 3.0 card and connected an Asus ac55 usb wifi adapter. It does not quite get 3.0 speeds because the PCI bus is not capable but its close enough for low end HD on Netflix, Amazon, and other video website streaming. You still need a router that will push the speed.
Also one of my media center drives crashed so I bought a cheap Sata to Pata converter on amazon and put in one of my old laptop drives that I upgraded to SSD. I think I paid 3 bucks for the converter and the small drive was laying around 300gb 2.0 drive. Good for downloading movies.
I have had a GT220 card with 1gb of ddr2 for about 5 years now, but with seeing some of you utilizing the GTX610 card with DDR3 I think I will go with that. Amazon has the 610s with 2gb ddr3 for around 30 bucks.
I also put in an SSD drive and it makes quite a difference on boots times. The system runs a lot cooler than the original and with the 610 video card I am betting will be a lot more efficient for processor use.
The Startech usb card also has an internal port so I am thinking of connecting a Blue ray drive to that instead that will increase throughput to the full pci bus speed instead of IDE levels.
I have a 556 that has been laying around both have 4gb memory so are still relevant. i think i will upgrade it in the same fashion. The Startech card is not cheap though about 45 bucks a pop.

Also some of you guys saying your computer will not boot. The connections and the Bios on these machines have problems, usually opening cleaning and re-seating the front connectors and the memory will allow it to restart. Sometimes you have to do this several times. A lot of times it will turn on and run without booting. Dont think its broke just be patient do this over and over till it starts. Sometimes just putting the cover back on afterwards it will not restart. I have seen this with 3 of these beasts. Just keep at it until it does.Once it starts it keeps going until you take it apart again.
Good luck to youze guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
video import analog

Hi all, New to the forum but not to the DEC. Have a Z555 and a Z558 both of which I did clean installs of Windows 7 on as I thought i would never use most of the unique features of these machines again. I recently found some video tapes i would like to import and store digitally but as I am sure most of you realize the drivers for these devices as well as the software did not transfer with the clean Win 7 install. I did copy the hard drive of one machine before OS upgrade so I have the files. What I would like is recovery discs to restore back to factory then have both XP and Win 7 OS on the drive. Does anyone know where I can get restore discs or download? Or does anyone have a better solution that isn't too time consuming to get use of the analog import back in use. I doubt I will use it again after I get these tapes done. By the way does anyone need 2 blanks VHS tapes? HAHA. LOve the thread, had wrote these machines off due to the power supply issue but just got them both back up with the Seagate supplies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but windows 10 does not support the processors from this series and will not install, but there is nothing wrong with windows 7 on this machine. .
Are you sure about that? I have seen others saying it runs and Windows 10 itself reports no hardware issues in its check prior to upgrade. I didn't have any issues upgrading my older Z556s to Windows 10.....would be pretty odd that the newer, faster, dual core processor wasn't supported, but the older one was. Any specific reason why the Pentium D 945 would be left out?

I have not been able to get Windows 10 to install on the system though - even if 8.1 runs fine. It's frustrating to be sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Speaking of the z556's I upgraded to Windows 10.....I think I am going to sell one of them. Anyone interested? It has an upgraded video card (think it's a 3450, but I'd need to double check), 2 GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. Very nice condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update to my previous posts about a motherboard swap.

I finally did it. I chopped the hole and mounted a standard uATX MB in my z556.

I've been pretty busy and haven't had time to upload the pictures yet but I have Windows 7 64-bit running with HDMI video and audio.

However I am having issues with the riser card. I don't know if it is that my new motherboard doesn't support the riser card or what but I can't get any PCI card to be recognized in any of the three riser card slots.

This may be a draw back to not using the HP motherboards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So... more retrofitting is needed.

It turns out that HP did something non-standard with their PCI slot to support the three card riser.

I couldn't get the riser to work so I pulled the MB chassis out and left the MB, plugged in two tuners to the two PCI slots I have and they are recognized immediately.

I found a PCI riser card on ebay that provides three PCI slots but looks like it would mount to the HP z556 riser bracket with modifications and it's only $6.95.

Another option that I'm thinking about is just getting PCI relocation cables and running them individually so I could change the riser card configuration. For instance, I could setup a PCI-express slot on the riser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure about that? I have seen others saying it runs and Windows 10 itself reports no hardware issues in its check prior to upgrade. I didn't have any issues upgrading my older Z556s to Windows 10.....would be pretty odd that the newer, faster, dual core processor wasn't supported, but the older one was. Any specific reason why the Pentium D 945 would be left out?

I have not been able to get Windows 10 to install on the system though - even if 8.1 runs fine. It's frustrating to be sure.
You and them probably installed the beta version preview that did not require architecture. I have tried installing it from windows, from download and from cdrom and it says the same thing each time that a certain archetecture is missing in that specific cpu and does not fit requirements. Maybe the older model cpu,s did have that architecture. Wouldnt be the first time HP cut corners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So... more retrofitting is needed.

It turns out that HP did something non-standard with their PCI slot to support the three card riser.

I couldn't get the riser to work so I pulled the MB chassis out and left the MB, plugged in two tuners to the two PCI slots I have and they are recognized immediately.

I found a PCI riser card on ebay that provides three PCI slots but looks like it would mount to the HP z556 riser bracket with modifications and it's only $6.95.

Another option that I'm thinking about is just getting PCI relocation cables and running them individually so I could change the riser card configuration. For instance, I could setup a PCI-express slot on the riser.
At $6.95 is it done yet.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, New to the forum but not to the DEC. Have a Z555 and a Z558 both of which I did clean installs of Windows 7 on as I thought i would never use most of the unique features of these machines again. I recently found some video tapes i would like to import and store digitally but as I am sure most of you realize the drivers for these devices as well as the software did not transfer with the clean Win 7 install. I did copy the hard drive of one machine before OS upgrade so I have the files. What I would like is recovery discs to restore back to factory then have both XP and Win 7 OS on the drive. Does anyone know where I can get restore discs or download? Or does anyone have a better solution that isn't too time consuming to get use of the analog import back in use. I doubt I will use it again after I get these tapes done. By the way does anyone need 2 blanks VHS tapes? HAHA. LOve the thread, had wrote these machines off due to the power supply issue but just got them both back up with the Seagate supplies.
There is a Hauppage download that you can get that will work with the original cards on windows 7. If I remember correctly it was called wintv 6. I have it downloaded on a drive somewhere google it and you shall find. At one point I had win 7 with all the old stuff even the front display using vista drivers. It took a little doing to figure it out. I even made my own hdtv antenna had everything connected to cable and free to air satellite system. Hard drive went so until I need the other stuff I will just use it for internet tv.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:D As a matter of fact the riser card was on its way.

I was just debating if I want to design a custom riser card system for flexibility in the future. Right now I have three PCI tuner cards and until those die and I can't find PCI tuners that work with win7 64bit, the 3 slot PCI riser will work fine.

I only have two PCI ports so I will need to get a PCI-E to PCI adapter to make use of all of the riser slots but at least I will get my two main tuners back up and working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You and them probably installed the beta version preview that did not require architecture. I have tried installing it from windows, from download and from cdrom and it says the same thing each time that a certain archetecture is missing in that specific cpu and does not fit requirements. Maybe the older model cpu,s did have that architecture. Wouldnt be the first time HP cut corners.
I did not install it on my Digital Entertainment systems until the full version was released (these are still important machines in my home media/entertainment set up).

I think I might know what you are talking about now though - you cannot install the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on these systems. There are missing CPU architecture components for that. I am trying to install the 32 bit version. 8.1 installed perfectly fine. Windows 10 completely hangs at the Windows Logo.

You may be right though - it could be that some corners were cut with the newer CPU and that is what is stopping it from working. I am just not seeing any evidence of that in the logs, in the compatibility tool, etc.

If so, is there another CPU the board can support that will work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did not install it on my Digital Entertainment systems until the full version was released (these are still important machines in my home media/entertainment set up).

I think I might know what you are talking about now though - you cannot install the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on these systems. There are missing CPU architecture components for that. I am trying to install the 32 bit version. 8.1 installed perfectly fine. Windows 10 completely hangs at the Windows Logo.

You may be right though - it could be that some corners were cut with the newer CPU and that is what is stopping it from working. I am just not seeing any evidence of that in the logs, in the compatibility tool, etc.

If so, is there another CPU the board can support that will work?
If I remember correctly the cpu,s are soldered on. But now I remember that I had a problem with some previous software. Win 10 will install the 32 bit version but not the 64. That particular processor is 64 bit compatible but does not have the em64t or the vt-x required architecture. You can use cpu-z software to figure out the architecture on your cpu. It does have the sse-2 required architecture. Use it and look at earlier machines to see if there is a difference. I do have a 556 but its buried somewhere. I would rather have 64 bit win 7 than 32 bit win 10 or a 32bit win 8. Downgrade to 32bit threading is going to make performance similar so there is no benny. Win 10 will start up quicker and the new directx performance is incredible but I am not gaming so average software will perform the same. Video performance will be the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:D As a matter of fact the riser card was on its way.

I was just debating if I want to design a custom riser card system for flexibility in the future. Right now I have three PCI tuner cards and until those die and I can't find PCI tuners that work with win7 64bit, the 3 slot PCI riser will work fine.

I only have two PCI ports so I will need to get a PCI-E to PCI adapter to make use of all of the riser slots but at least I will get my two main tuners back up and working.
What are you doing with the front display? figure out anything?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What are you doing with the front display? figure out anything?
I have an installer that makes the display work. I don't remember where I found it but I ran it on my 64-bit win7 and it works so far. It might be a little buggy as it was on the 32-bit win7 that I previously was running but it is better than the scrolling message.

I don't know of a great place to host the file for sharing or I could just email it to you or something.

1161 - 1180 of 1213 Posts