AVS Forum banner

What would you do/recommend?

• HPF somewhere between 10Hz to 15Hz?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • +6dB boost somewhere between 20Hz and 35Hz?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you high pass or PEQ gain to get the most out of the LMS 5400?

Above is simulation of 8 x LMS 5400 in 4 cu ft. sealed (thinking of Not's system)

Yellow:

3500W per driver (28kW total)

2nd order Butterworth HPF @ 12Hz

Blue:

900W per driver (7.2kW total) w/o gain

+6dB gain @ 25Hz Q=0.9

3600W per driver (28.8kW total) w/ gain

PS. I thought of this question because as you may have noticed, the LMS 5400 would not utilize much more than 3600W.

Seeing this thread makes me think the speakerpower amps are a good alternative to the clones for someone on the fence about ethical issues.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471303/lab-gruppen-fp14000-gets-spanked-by-plate-amp#post_23294416

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize this may sound like a stupid question or poll.

The reality is out of everyone that owns the LMS 5400, I don't know a single one using the gain method and most use a HPF...

I personally think the gain method is the better way to go, but maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Would you high pass or PEQ gain to get the most out of the LMS 5400?"

that depends what you are trying to do and what gain your room provides and what the rest of your equipment is capable of.

a dynamic limiter allows you to maximize the top end while limiting the bottom end because it is on the bottom end where you are going to run out of steam first.

in practice, you will probably start with some shelf filter or l/t to bring up the bottom end. then perhaps apply a very low protective high pass if you want to take full advantage of the top end while protecting the drivers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1471966/hpf-or-gain-getting-the-most-out-of-lms-5400#post_23295020

"Would you high pass or PEQ gain to get the most out of the LMS 5400?"

that depends what you are trying to do and what gain your room provides and what the rest of your equipment is capable of.

a dynamic limiter allows you to maximize the top end while limiting the bottom end because it is on the bottom end where you are going to run out of steam first.

in practice, you will probably start with some shelf filter or l/t to bring up the bottom end. then perhaps apply a very low protective high pass if you want to take full advantage of the top end while protecting the drivers.

Ok, duh. Not sure what I was thinking. How do you delete threads?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts