AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has some recomendations for some nice high quality headphones that work great for gaming. Ones that have the nice large ear piece too. The ones that keep the outside sound out, and everything else in.

I guess that Sennheiser make some nice ones... anybody else?

Looking to spend up to $200.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ichijoe
I swear by Grado's

With gaming though the earpieces tend to hurt your ears if worn for a long time.
I also love the Grados. I have the 60's and use them for xbox and music. However, I tossed the torture earpads and substituted the proper size yellow Sennheiser pads, and now they feel great.

JR

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Sony MDR-V6 costs about $79, are closed, and sound great as well. Some might say it sounds better than the widely-available Sony MDR-V700DJ (you can find this for $99 at a lot of places).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just go to head-fi.org guys. They'll take care of you. And avoid the sony v700 DJ phones, they have poor sound, especially for the price you pay for them. Sony V6 are good, however, and represent one of the best values in closed headphones.

www.head-fi.org

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
I use the Sennheiser's as well and I have no complaints :) .

--- Jason

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you don't have a surround system, headphones are especially nice to play Matrix with; gives you sort of the "jacked in" feeling. JR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sennheiser HD 580/600 are great headphones however you may want to check out the Beyerdynamic 880s. These headphones are rather new but already many people say they prefer them to the HD 600, even when the Senns are equiped with high quality after market cables (Cardas, Equinox, etc.). They are also cheaper than the HD600s as well.

My recomendations for headphones are as follows--

Ultra cheap--

Koss KSC-35 --$30 (Must be order directly from Koss. These are legendary headphones that have only recently come back into production. You may have to wait awhile to receive them because they are selling like hotcakes)

$100 budget--

Grad SR 80 -- $100--great phone that outclasses anthing at or lower than it's price range

$100-$200 budget--

AKG 501--$150

Sennheiser HD 580--$160 (both are great headphones, but if you're going to spend this much you may want to just spend a little bit more (about $100 or so) to gain a set of high end headphones

$200 and above--this is where we get into the true audiophile headphones

Beyerdynamic 880--$250--probably the best value in a high end, open seal headphones

Etymotic ER 4 S/P --$270--the best sealed headphones in the world (actually they are canal headphones--you stick into your ear canals) and from what I have heard these babies may give you the best sound of anything below $4000.

Going even higher--

Sony CD3000-- $380 and higher

Grado RS 1--$700 (these two phones are recommended by some as being superior to the Beyers and Etys listed by some people, whereas some people like the Beyers and Etys)

And its possible to go even higher in price, but I think (and hope) that any sane person could be satisfied by the headphones I already listed. :)

P.S. Keep in mind I have not heared all of the above headphones, this is only knowledge I've gained from researching them. But I hope it can give you an idea as to where to begin. If you really want hardcore knowledge about headphones I would recommend head-fi.org This is a forum site especially for headphones. And, admitenely, they have greater knowledge about them than many people here.

http://www.head-fi.org

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have have had a LOT of headphones over the years. My current favorites are:

1 - Bose Triports - $150, comfortable, light weight and great frequency response.

2- Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs - $90, comfortable, heavy, and great frequency response.

Heads-up that Koss headphones all come with lifetime warranties and they'll repair just about any problem for their handling price (I think that it's $10). If you want cheap good headphones (under $50) I would compare their current models. I have had many great hours using their headphones costing only $30-$60. I've even bought used broken Koss headphones and had them rebuilt to new condition under their warranty, their great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mukaidaf
i have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 i got from headroom.com. very nice, bought it for about $180
Seconded the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s. I got mine when living in Japan and abused the hell out of them playing video games and watching movies in a tiny apartment. I took them to and from work every day -- they take a beating and keep on.. uh.. bleating!

They're super-comfortable, too, on top of the fantastic sound quality; you can wear them all day long with no fatigue. Great for gaming.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here is another take on this headphone gig...

Yamaha offers a feature on all of their surround sound receivers called 'Silent Cinema' and this allows you the ability to use ANY surround sound mode with two-channel stereo headphones. Any sound-field that you can do with 6.1 surround sound speaker package, can be faithfully recreated via stereo headphones. This is due to the processing power of the receiver and special software encoded in the processor.

Imagine playing Halo on your Xbox in 5.1 Dolby Digital and hearing the bad guys sneak up on you...Or Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams in 5.1 Dolby with one of the enhanced Sound-Field modes...

I do this all the time and it is AWESOME!!! You can spring for the least expensive Yamaha surround sound reciever: RX-V440 or HTR-5640 and get Silent Cinema for only $299. Easily worth your moolah!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd have to give another bump for trying out some Koss cans. If you can get a pair of KSC-35s, by all means do so. I haven't hear anything this good up to the $69 Grado RS-60s. They're more comfortable then the Grados and have a bit punchier bass which would likely be appropriate for gaming. Problem with either of those is that neither is closed like you mentioned wanting. Easer to find and cheaper than the KSC-35s are the KSC-50s which use the same transducers but have fancier, more modering packaging which very obviously degrades the sound, but you can mod them by disassembling them (carefully; the earclips are springloaded so pay attention), and removing the metal grill from the back so that they more closely resemble the KSC-35s (these I use for my at work cans; actually did the mod while bored at work :p).

For closed cans, you can try some of the upper low end models like the UR-20s and UR-30s which are both nice for their prices ($30 or less, generally). I have a pair that are slightly above that, but I salvaged them from some weird "surround" package, so I don't know which model they are exactly. They've got the interchangeable, phone connector style cord (the set came with two cords, a normal one and one with a little control dongle in the middle of it that let you adjust the sound phase with little sliders, ostensibly to "create your own surround mix inside your head"), which is typical of their mid and upper range stuff. I really like them (almost as well as Grado RS-60s, but not really compared to my favored RS-125s), and they're very nice for after the baby goes to bed. So, basically, you should be able to get a nice set of closed Koss cans for $60 or less depending on how picky you are about sound quality (remember, closed cans generally don't sound as good).

Good luck,

Kensai

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wombat Woo
Lil amps for headphones. I never would have thunk it ;p
Those lil amps do wonders. I knew they helped from previous experience but after owning my Grado 325s for about six months then getting a headroom little to plug them into, I was floored by how much better they sounded. Absolutely incredible, and the headroom amps have some phase processing too to give you more realistic imaging. Well worth the money if you have decent 'phones.

A word of caution though you MUST use a headphone amp if you plan to use headphones that are not designed for computer use. Esp. if you are using high impedence phones such as the Sennheisers. Computer sound cards DO NOT have amp sections and are NOT ment for driving headphones. Ok some are and they are normally labeled accourdingly, but anything that requires the use of powered speakers needs an amp. I provide this caution after RUINING a perfectly good pair of Grado SR60s while using them for gaming. It is the same thing as using too small an amp for your speakers and turning the amp up too loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.