AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both about $25 on Amazon..

Heard a lot about S&M, but not so much on HQV. If I only want to get one to test out the my DUO and PS3 capability. Which one should I get?

I have got AVSHD and DVE-HD..

·
Registered
11,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/20822675

Both about $25 on Amazon..

Heard a lot about S&M, but not so much on HQV. If I only want to get one to test out the my DUO and PS3 capability. Which one should I get?

I have got AVSHD and DVE-HD..

I have them both.

I'm suggesting you to get S&M First.

Use S&M Disk's Chroma Alignment, Chroma Multiburst, Chroma Zone Plate, Chroma Upsampling Error & Clipping Patterns to select the option that gives you the less conversions in the signal chain and the average less errors of your setup before starting your calibration with Meters.

Here you can take a look of the contents of each disks.

HD HQV Benchmark Blu-Ray Disc

Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! This looks good.

I will follow your recommendation and use S&M first...

The HQV samples looks like had a lot of "real-life" example instead of just test patterns.. I like this. Do you also find it useful?

·
Registered
11,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/20828652

Thanks! This looks good.

I will follow your recommendation and use S&M first...

The HQV samples looks like had a lot of "real-life" example instead of just test patterns.. I like this. Do you also find it useful?

HVQ Disk has only 1080-60i clips.

HVQ is usefull to check which output option gives you best conversions from 1080i > 1080p. (To Output 1080i from Player and let your TV do it 1080p or the opposite)

Has also some usefull clips to check how your Noise Reduction Performs or if it's needed to be enabled.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD /forum/post/20828711

HVQ Disk has only 1080-60i clips.

HVQ is usefull to check which output option gives you best conversions from 1080i > 1080p. (To Output 1080i from Player and let your TV do it 1080p or the opposite)

Has also some usefull clips to check how your Noise Reduction Performs or if it's needed to be enabled.

I mainly want to test my PS3/Duo/PJ capability on blu-ray 1080p24, as this is probably 90% of what I watched and interested in getting it "perfect". I do watch DishTV from time to time, but my understanding is that the source quality can be anywhere to start with anyway, so...

Having said that, If the clips are only 1080-60i (not even 24p??), is it useful in my case?

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
For Testing 24p Signal and decide which motion option gives you better results you can download the following pattern from dr1394 website:
W6RZ Homepage

Vertical Resolution Patterns with Motion
Alternating black/white 1, 2, 3 and 4 pixel strips with moving bar, 24p video bitstream 1920x1080
&
filmjudder.ts - the moving bar advances 16 pixels horizontally each frame. This is a [email protected] video bitstream.

(This also included inside the AVSHD Disk -> Misc Patterns -> Section G (The 23.976 frames per second progressive video bar advances 16 pixels per frame. The original Mpeg2 video is titled filmjudder.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.