AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called today and ordered an HR10-250 from Directv that will be installed tomorrow. I currently have a standard Tivo, a standard Dtv receiver and a non DVR HD receiver (all Dtv). I also use Vonage as my home phone. I am fully aware of the issues of using Vonage with DTivo and don't want to start another thread around that issue. My current DTivo has no problems dialing in on a regular basis, but that was only after entering a dialing prefix on the Tivo.

My question is, will the installer know what dialing prefixes to try if I tell him I have Vonage? If he is unable to get it to connect while he is here, will he be willing to leave it for me to take to a neighbor's house to call in and configure the box? My last tivo took some tinkering to get it to work, but I don't know if the installers will inist on having it working before they leave.

Has anyone else with Vonage had a Tivo installed recently that can answer this question.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
At the Tivo Community (a sub forum of AVS), the Vonage question is asked three or four times a day. Works for some, doesn't work for others. The installer should leave it after getting it activated with D*. Then it's your responsibility to get the Tivo portion activated. And don't mention voice over IP. It just confuses the installer. Plug it into a wall jack and tell him you have a regular phone line.

-Robert

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The installer that just put mine in waited til it called out, it's hit or miss with the installer.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the hr10-250 does need to make the first call into activate. then it doesn't matter if you unplug the phone line. if your having trouble you can take ti to a neighbor or friends house and do the call in. although when upgrade software is sent down it will not upgrade withou the call in. no biggie, the current is "f" but many are running with d or e or haven't had a call in over 300 days. just does need the first one when setup is done.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll just have to wait and see what they say. With any luck it will work ok out of the box. If not, I will see if they will leave it with me to figure out. Worst case, I will see if I can run it to a neighbor's house and dial in (that's assuming they are home).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.