AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,


Hooked up my new HR10 to my new Samsung DLP HLR5067W TV via the HDMI cable. The good news is that the picture is stunning, however, in the HR10 menu I set the Audio option to play & record in Dolby Digital when available. When I turn this option on, all video/audio on Standard non-HD channels is great. However, when I change to any HD channel the video still is great but there's no Audio whatsoever coming through the Samsung. I do also have the optical hooked up between the HR10 and my stereo receiver, and I do get audio that way via the receiver, BUT you can't tell me that the only way to get Audio on HD channels with the Dolby Digital option switched on is to listen through the receiver. I'm sure there's some option either on my DLP or HR10 that can accomodate this, but I'm stumped. Hoping someone out there has the same set-up as me and can offer some advice. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,918 Posts
Your DLP might not accept a DD signal, a number of TV's with HDMI inputs only accept 2 channels of audio due to the chipset used in them, try outputing in PCM or stereo if that's an option just to see if it works. Do you mean H10 or HR10-250 by the way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad. Typing before drinking coffee in the AM ;)


I have the HR10-250. I spoke to someone at Samsung late last night who said something about having to call DirecTv and find out how to change the way the audio was being sent to PCM ?? After basically calling bulls**t on that statement, he then informed me that Tech Support would be in tomorrow morning and my best bet would be to talk to them. Wonder what he was then ???


I just can't believe that the brand-new Samsung can't handle this. I also tried hooking up regular Audio Outputs from the HR10-250 directly into the back of the Samsung, but no luck. Probably because the inputs on the TV for those Audio jacks have nothing to do with the HDMI input.


I do know I could switch over to component output/input, and that would solve this, but I really like the quality of the HDMI picture and would hate to lose it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo
I just can't believe that the brand-new Samsung can't handle this. I also tried hooking up regular Audio Outputs from the HR10-250 directly into the back of the Samsung, but no luck. Probably because the inputs on the TV for those Audio jacks have nothing to do with the HDMI input.
Your set should have a set of analog audio inputs asscoiated with the HDMI input, according to the manual there is a set of arrows pointing from the HDMI input to the associated analog audio inputs. You may have to switch something in the TV's menu to activate them over the HDMI audio. I'd just use those for audio to the TV and keep the HR10-250 in DD mode for your surround sound receiver.


My guess on the HDMI chipset only accepting 2 channels is the TV has only 2 speakers, why have a chipset that can process more then 2 by the way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
Your set should have a set of analog audio inputs asscoiated with the HDMI input
maybe not, depending on the model. i have an hlp4663 samsung dlp which doesn't have analog inputs for the hdmi port. if you have the same inputs on your tv as mine, I think your two best options are


1) connect the optical out of the directv box into your stereo (this requires you to always use your stereo for sound) or


2) buy an inexpensive hdmi to dvi cable (off ebay or elsewhere) and use the analog audio inputs for the dvi input since the dvi input has separate audio inputs



I actually did both so i can use the internal speaker of the tv when i don't want/need the stereo on. regardless of what you decide, you'll probably get much quicker and knowledgeable response in the rear projection forum since this is a tv limitation.


b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamck
maybe not, depending on the model. i have an hlp4663 samsung dlp which doesn't have analog inputs for the hdmi port. if you have the same inputs on your tv as mine, I think your two best options are


2) buy an inexpensive hdmi to dvi cable (off ebay or elsewhere) and use the analog audio inputs for the dvi input since the dvi input has separate audio inputs



I actually did both so i can use the internal speaker of the tv when i don't want/need the stereo on. regardless of what you decide, you'll probably get much quicker and knowledgeable response in the rear projection forum since this is a tv limitation.


b
I think your situation is exactly the same as mine. There is no analog audio input associated with the HDMI Input. The HR10-250 I bought did indeed come with a HDMI to DVI cord in the box, but I'm not convinced that there's actually a DVI Input on this TV. The slot in the back of the TV is marked HDMI/DVI, but the actual input looks designed for HDMI cable only, not DVI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo
I think your situation is exactly the same as mine. There is no analog audio input associated with the HDMI Input. The HR10-250 I bought did indeed come with a HDMI to DVI cord in the box, but I'm not convinced that there's actually a DVI Input on this TV. The slot in the back of the TV is marked HDMI/DVI, but the actual input looks designed for HDMI cable only, not DVI.
I can tell you looking at the manual, there is no DVI input, there is a audio hook up on the back with arrows pointing at it from the HDMI jack though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
I can tell you looking at the manual, there is no DVI input, there is a audio hook up on the back with arrows pointing at it from the HDMI jack though.
I thought the same thing and tried hooking up the analog - no luck. Just got off the phone with Tech support at Samsung. There were familiar with my issue and clearly stated that the Samsung cannot down-code the 5.1 transferred signal to be output to the 2 TV speakers. He told me that if you set the 'Dolby Digital Out' option on the HR10-250, that the Samsung will not ever be able to play the audio through the TV speakers.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top