AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting 4 months to get a HD box installed I am no better off than I was before. None of the HD channels are coming in. I spent several hours on the phone with customer support and then technical support and in the end all they said was get the installer to come back out. I'm in an apartment building with the sattelite dish on top but apparently nobody else has had trouble getting HDTV to work. I had to almost completely redo the cabling because according to technical support the installer had done everyting almost completely wrong. I don't like my chances of getting them to fix it. Right now its hooked up through HDMI to HDMI input 2. I have my DVD player and Xbox 360 hooked up on the componenets. I can try switching the HR20 to component but from what I have read the Samsung HDMI problems did not effect the ability to receive HDTV. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also will dish type effect my ability to receive HDTV?

·
Registered
627 Posts
dbstalk.com will likely have more D* people to talk to, but a few things to start with a few basics to narrow down possible problems:

1) Other people in the building are for sure getting HD through DirecTV? If so then the dish on the roof is probably correct. Yes the dish would make a difference -- single LNB wouldn't get any HD of any sort. 3LNB would get the standard HD channels (Channels 70-79 +95-99). The 5LNB dish would be necessary to get HD Locals via D* assuming that Richmond has gone live already. Are they getting the local channel HD from Rooftop antenna, indoor antenna, or ?Local in Local D* MPEG4? Do you have your own dish on the roof or is there some sort of community dish that everyone shares a feed?

2) How many coax cables going into the HR20? 1 from the Dish to the Sat In, ??a separate coax from an roof/indoor antenna to the ant-in to receive OTA locals? There probably shouldn't be any splitters in on the satellite line particullarly if you have a 5LNB dish since you can't use diplexers with the new system.

3) Are you receiving regular DirecTV channels OK? If so what are the signal strengths of the satellites you are receiving 101 for most regular D* channels, 110, 119 for a few special channels, most local-in-local OTA SD channels, and all the HD. I'm not sure the designation for the Ka band sats that transmit MPEG4 signals (99 and 103?). If you are only getting signal from Sat 101, then something is incorrectly installed either on your receiver or at the dish.

4) Did the installer do the initial receiver setup properly telling it you have a 3 or 5 LNB dish or did he leave the unit set up for only a 1 LNB dish? You could possibly repeat the satellite setup and see if that was done properly.

5) I assume you have already activated the HD service when you called D* support.

6) You could try a cheap indoor antenna attached directly the ant in and you should be able to pick up some or all of the OTA Richmond channels.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a Samsung 6187 with an H20 hooked up. I get everything, zero problems. I haven't jumped on an HR20 just cause I've been told they're on back order. Your testimonial only gives me more patience...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
His problem most likely has nothing to do with the HR20, sounds like a problem with the dish set up or cabling in his apartment complex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.