AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Lots of people are using them. Lots of people have compatibility problems. Most if not all Samsungs are using a specific HDMI/HDCP chip which is not compatible with some other HDMI implementations. Apparently neither of the implementations are "wrong", just different, and the HDMI/HDCP specs are not precise enough to guarantee compatibility. The HR20 works OK with just about every TV on the market that does not use this specific chipset. DirecTV has already released some modifications to the software to improve compatibility and more are on the way. If Samsung changed the chipset they would have to install a new electronics board in every TV; since most of the HR20 implementation is in software DirecTV should be able to make the devices compatible.

Meanwhile just use component video; the PQ will be the same. HDMI's only real advantage is thst it is a single-cable solution.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not good to hear! But, looks like there may be a chance anyway. On another thread, there is a user that has been using his HR20 through HDMI with the same Samsung DLP TV I am looking at! This is good news, hopefully I am lucky with my setup too. Maybe its the new software available for the HR20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.