AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HR21 HD DVR with my Directv service and have noticed that when I tune into or change channels to an HD channel I will get a clicking noise for about a second. This noise however does not occur on all HD channels. It seems to correspond to the DVR searching for the signal. Is this a common issue or do I have a bad DVR. Any thoughts. Some say it's the HDMI cable.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Could it be the hard drive being noisy or is the sound coming through your speakers?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also have the HR21-700 and have observed the same audio "clicking". It only occurs through the HDMI cable attached to my tv (XBR5). It does not appear to be transmitted through the "coaxial digital" cable going to my Denon AVR.

It seems to occur on just a few HD channels (202/CNNHD...for example). It is about 5 clicks and a low "thump"....then the sound comes in fine. I tried turning off Dolby Digital in the HR21 and it went away. Must be a problem with the HR21's and the HDMI interface...while aquiring the DD audio feed.

Direct TV Tech Support said to try and use Component Video/RCA to the TV and this may fix the clicking sound. Any ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sloan /forum/post/13069896

I also have the HR21-700 and have observed the same audio "clicking". It only occurs through the HDMI cable attached to my tv (XBR5). It does not appear to be transmitted through the "coaxial digital" cable going to my Denon AVR.

It seems to occur on just a few HD channels (202/CNNHD...for example). It is about 5 clicks and a low "thump"....then the sound comes in fine. I tried turning off Dolby Digital in the HR21 and it went away. Must be a problem with the HR21's and the HDMI interface...while aquiring the DD audio feed.

Direct TV Tech Support said to try and use Component Video/RCA to the TV and this may fix the clicking sound. Any ideas?

Mike

Component fixed it for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
adb:

Thanks...I will try the Component/RCA hookup today. I realise that the Satelite is 1080i, but am wondering if you observed any video differences between Component and HDMI? Some on these forums actually prefer Component!

Mike

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sloan /forum/post/13076724

adb:

Thanks...I will try the Component/RCA hookup today. I realise that the Satelite is 1080i, but am wondering if you observed any video differences between Component and HDMI? Some on these forums actually prefer Component!

Mike

I have worked with both a lot and quite frankly I can't tell any difference between the two. On almost all of the setups that I have done I have used component, usually less problems, particularly audio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts