AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really getting close to the purchase and I want to know!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I still think this is a good projector (although, so is the 300U). The blacks are not great, but a grey screen (e.g. Da-Lite HCCV) seems to improve this quite a bit. You should invest in getting a CC40R filter and a Smart III calibration kit to tune it for optimum results (e.g. shadow details and color). My picture is getting better with every tweak... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Xander - Didnt the Smart III calibration go off the market? And what is this CC40R filter you are talking about and how does it improve the picture quality?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
DigitalWeiner - no, it's not been taken off the market that I know of. Look at www.smartavtweaks.com - they explain both Smart III and the advantages of a CC40R filter a lot better there than I could :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My new favorite (note: armchair favorite as I haven't seen it yet! :) ) would be the Epson TW-100H (the new upgraded one with higher contrast).

Yes, it's a little more than the HS-10, but Projector Central says the increased cost is worth it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
"
Quote:
Yes, it's a little more than the HS-10, but Projector Central says the increased cost is worth it.
HS10 MSRP = $ 2,995

TW100 MSRP = $ 4,499

I'd not say that 50% more is "a little more":)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think the difference in price is close to double, not just a little more..

I can get the HS10 for $2,309 at the three letter word everyone knows where and the TW100 looks to be selling around 4,000 street price, so the difference is about 73% higher!

I am on the list and it appears I will be getting the HS10 hopefully within a week!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can easily find a TW100H for $3,475. As for whether it's worth it that all depends upon how much $1000 is worth to you, how picky you are and whether the vastly better picture of the TW100 will be wasted on your untrained eye. ;)

Hugh

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
DigitalWeiner - no, it's not been taken off the market that I know of. Look at www.smartavtweaks.com - they explain both Smart III and the advantages of a CC40R filter a lot better there than I could :)

Not sure where that rumor got started, but as Xander says, SMART III is certainly available!!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by traveler
"

HS10 MSRP = $ 2,995

TW100 MSRP = $ 4,499

I'd not say that 50% more is "a little more":)
We can buy the HS10 for £1999 here including tax, Epson TW100 goes for £3600 which by my maths is £1601 ($2525) more. The Epson must be a really capable machine if projectorcentrals word is reliable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes Smart III is available and i applogize to Steve for posting a thread even stating that wasnt available. Hail Smart III.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
when was the HS10 ever the baddest boy on the block?

FWIW, I'd take the Epson TW100 any day over the HS10.
Thanks rlindo .. I was worried I would have to ask!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the HS10 ... but not THAT much.

And actually, IMO, there are about 6 projectors ahead of the TW100 on my list of

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Is there anything you give up by going with a TW100 over the HS10?

Does it have HDCP?

The same inputs as the HS10?

I don't care about the memory stick part on the HS10...

What are the refresh rates on the TW100 compared to the HS10 for computer use....??

It appears the native refresh rate for the HS10 is 56hz...

Does anybody reliable sell the TW100 at a good price in the Chicagoland area? I really don't want to order it by mail unless I have to... Does anybody in the Chicagoland area have one to demo?

Assuming H Palmer's $3,475 price, the TW100 is 50% more, which probably puts it out of my price range.... I don't know If I am willing to spend more than $2,500 on soon to be obsolete technology... If it gets more than that, it would be more than I used to spend buying new state of the art pc's... Try explaining that to my wife!

·
Registered
697 Posts
edwardr132:

You can read Steve Smallcombe's (of SMART fame) review of the TW100 HERE . The TW100 has a very complete complement of inputs including VGA, component, and DVI-I (though not HDCP). I think Steve also makes his fondness clear for the absolute flexibility of color adjustment controls that are available on the TW100 -- not on a secretly accessed service menu, but on the regular system menu (both color temp and RGB offset, gain, and gamma controls).

As far as HTPC compatibility is concerned, I think a fair number of people are having trouble getting 1:1 pixel mapping on the HS10 or are otherwise *still* trying to convince themselves that they can do it. HERE is that thread. The TW100 is definitely capable of doing 1:1 pixel mapping. I have described it in my thread HERE .

Good luck with your projector choice. You should buy a projector and start enjoying it. Look at all the people here who have bought the X1, Z1, AE300, or HS10 and see how many troubles they have been having. Is the cost savings worth your time, unhappiness, and enjoyment?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for your reply..

I looked at your 1:1 pixel mapping on the TW100 and noticed that the refresh rate is now 57 on the TW100 instead of 56 on the HS10..

Not a lot of difference........

I personally plan to use my projector for 50% computer use and 50% movies. I am actually wondering if I need to find a higher refresh rate projector. Does anyone know if any of the DLP projectors have higher refresh rates???

·
Registered
343 Posts
I assure you that SMART III is very much alive and well (and so am I)!

Steve Smallcombe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.