AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have decided to pick up the HS-2 over the DMR-E30, but I have a few questions.

If I have multiple episodes of a series stored on the Hard drive, is it an issue recording those to one DVD?

Can it play them one after the other or will it always bring you back to the menu?

Can I edit out the commercials?

If I record anamorphic with my mini-dv camcorder, will it take it in anamorphically, or will it look squished?

Thanx.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No problem dubbing mutiple programs at one time. To dub to/from a DVD there is a Dubbing menu. You can choose to dub one or more entire recordings, playlists made from portions of recordings, or a combination of the two. Any titles that you have entered will also transfer. Recording to DVD-RAM takes 30 minutes at most if the dub occurs at the same bitrate as the original, but if there is a playlist selected, or a change in bitrate, the recording takes as long as the program material. Dubbing to DVD-R always takes as long as the original length of the recorded material.

Yes, you can edit out the commercials. There's a "shorten segment" option where you view the recording in a small window, select the point to start the edit, then select the end point, once those are set you can erase the selected portion. Its quite easy to use.

The accuracy of the playback depends on how the "seamless play" option is set. With it on, the edit points may be off by as much as a second, but there is no pause at edits. With it off, the edits are followed accurately, but there is a short pause at each edit.

Once you begin playback of a disk or from the HDD it will play until the end of the disk.

Don't know about the anamorphic recording part. I believe it flags everything as 4:3, but there is an option for dubbing which suggests that may not be the case. I haven't experimented with this yet.

The HS2 is definitely worth the extra. With the E30 you'd need some way to playback DVD-RAM recordings (you can't edit DVD-R recordings.)

David

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info. I guess maybe I'll try to pick one up this week.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you playback anamorphic 16:9 from your camcorder it will record it as anamorphic 16:9 and play it back the same - it will look correct on a widescreen tv but will be stretched vertically on a 4:3 tv.

There is an option for setting the recording mode to either letterboxed or 'stretched' and I haven't had the chance to check these out but it sounds as though you *may* be able to sort of convert the anamorphic camcorder output to letterbox format to enable correct playback ratio on a 4:3 TV.

Not sure about this though....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.