AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you Projector GODS :) I am going crazy over here!! Since I will not be able to view any of these projectors, YOU GUYS are going to choose one for me. HEHE...big PRESSURE... :D No seriously, I have made my three choices (see subject) but going crazy on making the final decision.

Now, I will only be projecting to a 92" diag screen so thats one thing to consider. Also, I dont mind spending more money (like for the HS10), but I have to justify spending another $1000 than the Z1. Im reading great reviews from all of these PJ's so IM confussed as HELL.

Anyone, please, whoever has seens these three projectors in action, let me know your thoughts. Which will you buy???

I have Panny RP82

Dish 6000

Mostly viewing DVD and HD, some regular material, and PS2/XBOX.

This is the One Million dollar question...are you up to it?

GROD

·
Registered
55 Posts
It will depend on what you want. I got the HS10 because I watch alot of HD which hs10 will be the best for. I also needed a long throw. If you don't care about true HD and need a shorter throw go z1. Each will be good for different reasons. You need to decide what is most important to you.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Yep, it comes down to what you need/want.

I got the z1 because:

a) i need a shrot throw

b) i don't care about smoothscreen since screendoor is not that big a deal...i will say though that the z1 pixels are quite small.

c) the z1 contrast and shadow detail are really good and I highly doubt the ae300 or hs10 better it in those apsects.

d) i only really watch dvd so havign a higher res is not that important to me.

e) it was the chepaest of the three and IMO, didn't seem to give up anything important ot the other 2

Anyway, the z1 is a great projector. I am glad I got it. Upgrading from an Ae100 (wihc I really liked) for what it's worth. The Z1 is flat out a better machine in every way except menu layout.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Throw is not an issue for me since I can mount the HS10 around where I be seating (almost above my head). The native HD is a HUGE plus for the HS10, and its the most likely route! But still...I just want the best from those three PJ.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
grodri02,

a bit off topic but how did your screen come out?

If it's finished PM me and do tell me all about it!

ddog!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
grodri02,

I purchased the AE300 cause I just couldn't wait for the HS10 anymore. I believe that the smooth screen technology in the AE300 is worth the extra dollars over the Z1 - it is to be seen to be appreciated. Of course, I haven't seen a Z1, but I had both an AE100 and TW100 previously. It is still a toss-up for me betw the HS10 and the AE300. If will in all probabability sell my AE300 this weekend and reconsider what to get in early January (when I return from xmas holidays). At this point my feelings are (in my situation):

AE300:

- plus points: good contrast, good black, good color, NO screendoor

- neg points: lowish resolution, peekaboo artifact (although this is a non-issue)

HS10:

- plus points: high resolution

- neg points: fan noise, throw distance, contrast and black level (?)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
xander,

you should check out the z1 if you get the chance. very impressive for the $1500 price. It is much better in every aspect over the ae100 so IMO, you can't use the ae100 as a basis for how it could look, especially with screendoor.

I can't imagine the ae300 actually having a better picture (regardless of SD) but hey, if it does then that must be one hell of a pj for 2 grand.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rob, hopefully someone will be able to do a comparison betw the AE300 and Z1. It would be nice to have a long detailed shootout betw HS10, AE300 and Z1 - hopefully this will happen soon. I will try to have a look at the Z1 as well, since it does look like a very "cute" projector with that lens shift and flip-up cap. The AE300 is one hell of a projector... but so was the AE100 (if it worked) :)

ps. I constantly wonder whether the AE300 fan is still working since it is so quiet (and it is right above my left ear).

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may want to check out these screenshots:

http://cinema.myby.co.uk/home-cinema...inosaurdvd.htm

Shows the AE300, Z1 and HS10 + some extra. But it is only these three which counts right :)

The Z1 looked kind of greenish or blueish. However I talked to the people at www.big-screen.de, and all the had to say about the was huh?...

So it is probably just a feature here, maybe a badly adjusted PJ. I don't know...

I also have the lack of a good shop nearby for comparison the different PJ. So I have to spend my money on an unseen PJ ehich is kinda dodgy.

At the moment I have settled to go for the Z1. AE300 is not available at the moment in Europe. I can still order it from Japan, but I like my PJ without the japanese symbols :) And in a warranty case I will be in deep **** due to transport cost. The HS10 is way off league for me. Cost to much :(

However I would probably have gone for the AE300 if it was available, but for a first time PJ user I would probably be blown off by the Z1, and there is always a better future... :) In three years time who knows?

Anyway enjoy the screenshots.

Anybody knows when the ceiling mount for the Z1 will be available in Europe?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just looked at a Z1 demo in a dark demo room yesterday. The lens was 140" (or 11' 8") from a screen of 110" diagonally (or 96" x 54"). Before the demo started, I adjusted the focus to the sharpest. The pros I saw from Z1 are

1) it's a bright projector

2) contrast is good

3) lens shift is marvellous (this is the main reason I looked at this pj)

4) fan is very quiet in econo mode

The cons I noticed are

1) screen door

2) fan noise when it spins up

The resolution of Z1 is low such that I could see the screen door from about 12' away, i.e. I was standing next to the pj. And I didn't need to project a white image just to see it, I could see it during any bright scenes.

After about 45 mins demoing the unit sitting on a table, not ceiling mounted, the fan spinned up and it was very noisy. By the way, there was no sound system in use when I was demoing the unit, just the Z1 itself. After a short while, it spinned down and was very quiet again. This may or may not bother some people but it's definitely noticeable unless you're being bombarded by sounds of explosions. There were people on this forum complaining about the fan spinning up and down and up and so on...

If one can oversome the screen door and the loud fan noise when it spinned up, Z1 is a very good buy in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Btw, I noticed last night that the AE300 fan also spinned up at one point and then back down after about 3 minutes. Even at full throttle the fan was still not that distracting. It might be something that we have to live with if we want to have the very quiet low speed fans...?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Z1 doesn´t have the problem with the fan at all.

Sanyo in Germany says that the new firmware will fix that so if you have one that act crazy(Regarding the fan-noise:) ) you can send it to your nearest sanyo-dealer and they will install it for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.