AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have an hs10 yet - But it is to my understanding that the hs10 will not take a 1280x720 signal from a computer and display it properly without a lot of overscan on the DVI-D input ? Is this also the case if you drive the hs10 via a computer via the VGA input on the hs10 ? I would assume that there is not a problem driving the hs10 with a 1280x720 signal via the component imput say either from the x-box or a HDTV STB ? My question comes out of concern for using the hs10 for computer gaming and 1280x720 computer resolution games . Thanks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
1280x720 from a computer does have overscan, well a rather large dark border around it. I don't have the vga cable for the hs10 but I'm pretty such it would be the same way.

I was only trying that because of that 56hz thing anyway. There are a couple of other resolutions that will work full screen dealing with 60hz, using GBR instead of computer mode.

Anyway, component works fine from a transcoder or xbox. I got both and they work without a problem.

Can't tell you much about games since I really don't do that on the pj, but for the most part you might have to use 1024x768 with computer games, but again, thats not something I've tried enough to say for sure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, gaming is a little harder to figure out on the HS10. Even after talking to a guy from Sony about the HS10, it seems it was more built for HT and not as much for computer (except with HTPC). So with the two modes, this is what I figured out:

Computer mode on HS10: 800x600, 1024x768, 1368x768 (other widescreen resolutions are screwed up, overscan, and cropped within a 4:3 window). After many attempts in Powerstrip, I haven't found any other resolutions. Please post if you have

VideoGBR mode on HS10: 1184x666 (very nice), 1280x720 (badly overscanned.). 4:3 resolutions do not work on VideoGBR and go out of sync. 1:1 pm doesn't work in this mode.

So for gamers things can get difficult. So this is what I found out so far. Mafia and anything based on the Unreal Warefare engine (Splinter Cell, UT2003, Unreal2, Rainbow Six Raven Shield, Americas Army, etc) will run very very very nice in 1184x666. You can try 1368x768 in computer mode but you have the problem of some games having difficulty with the 56khz refresh rate and like the 60khz refresh rate of 1184x666 better. GTA3 works awesome in 1368x768 and looks amazing! That started working after I created a driver with PowerStrip. Not sure if that changed things. As far as most EA games that supposidly support widescreen, I can't get them to work because they initialize with a 4:3 main menu and don't reach 16:9 until it gets into the game engine. And since the major game friendly widescreen resolution is in VideoGBR and not computer, the menus will go out of scan frequency. So games like FIFA, NBA, NHL, Madden, Battlefield 1942, Need 4 Speed HP3 will work great in 4:3 formats under the Computer Mode on HS10, but unfortunately won't work in widescreen. So this is what I have found so far. Let me know what games you are thinking of and I can maybe help you figure out how to get them working. Hope this helps!

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is it that a HDTV Set Top Box can supply the HS10 with a 720P signal ? Does it also overscan on the input from a STB ? If not - then what is the difference between the DTV 720P signal and the computer 720P signal ? Can anyone post a picture of what the overscanned 1280x720 picture looks like ?

frizzo - as far as games go I am thinking mainly about flight simulators - such as microsofts Combat flight sim and flight sim 2002. Also - an RC flight sim called Realflight Gen 2.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the manual on pg 29 - there appears to be TWO SETINGS - the one called "Input a signal select" allows you to choose"computer" "component" or "video gbr"

the other setting called "Digital signal select" allows you to choose

"computer" or "video gbr"

When you are toggling between computer and video gbr - I take it you are changing the "digital signal select" one ?

Again - do you also get the overscan on STB 720p input ? If not then why on the computer signal input ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am talking about "digital signal select". The other selection is for when you are using the projector multi-cable. As as far as there being a difference in resolution between using DVI or the multi-cable, I would assume no because it seems more to be the programming of the panels and not an issue of cabling. 1280x720 is overscanned a little less than the width of the menu bar in XP all the way around. Why they did this I would assume is for feeding it a signal from a DVI DVD player or DVI HDTV box. That's why I believe they have that setting as VideoGBR. Now why they have lack of 1280x720 support under computer is beyond me. I think it's stupid and wish they would fix this with a Firmware upgrade. But I fear it may be the way the panel works, I don't know. It's a little frustrating. But maybe someone who is a Powerstrip genius can figure out how to get 1280x720 to work on the HS10 under computer...that would be ideal! Let me know if you hear anything else!

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is the hs10 doing when you toggle between VideoGBR and Computer modes ? I thought that I read a thread a while back and the topic had to do with the x-box and 720p games - from what I remember - there was no talk about overscan when using the x-box. Though I don't have an hs10 yet- I would hope that 720p HDTV from a STB would not present any major headaches in displaying that format on the hs10 - So - I am confused as to why this computer input of 1280x720 when set to VideoGBR looks different? Help - maybe I should cancel the order on my HS10 !!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I believe you are right, I have not heard of any overscan for the Xbox or HDTV receivers. Why it does this on the computer, I don't know. I have spoken with someone at Sony and they said this model was built for Home Theater, and not for computers (other than the 1:1 pixel mapping for DVD playback and such, so in other words, being used for HTPC). He said some of their higher end projectors, more built around presentation and business support more computer resolutions. This doesn't mean you can't play your games. They still look gorgeous in 4:3 format at 1024x768 and on 110" 16:9 screen this comes out to be about 80". And you might find your games supporting 16:9 resolutions, it takes some expirementing. If playing widescreen flight sims is your main reason for getting this projector, maybe you need to go with a more business oriented unit intstead of the HS10. Otherwise, if you are looking for mainly DVD, HDTV, console playing, with a little bit of flight sim here and there...the HS10 is an amazing unit and worth every penny. I was frustarted at first that the HS10 had this widescreen issue, but I guess I just realize that very few games do I REALLY HAVE to play on the projector, and so far quite a few of those have worked for me. My only dissappointment is the EA games (Battlefield 1942, Need 4 Speed HP2). Good luck and I hope you figure things out! Let me know if I can be any more help.

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, like I said, the xbox works just fine on the HS10, and so does a STB. I've looked at the 720p games on the X-box and they look really good.

Why does it have overscan from a computer at 1280x720? Thats been discussed a few times but it appears sony wasn't interested in making it all that compatible with a computer, so thats probably the reason. It's designed more for a STB.

The digital select mode is only for DVI and the X-box is component.

Computer resolutions and signals from component/STB are different and don't react the same on the HS10. It pretty much saids in the manual that 1280x720 from a computer isn't supported.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I guess I'm not seeing the issue here. First of all, almost all display devices have some amount of overscan (not to be confused with underscan, which is an actual term used when the image doesn't reach the edges of the screen). So, when feeding an XBox signal, or a computer signal of 1280x720 (with HS10 set for Video GBR), you are seeing the same amount of overscan when set to Full mode. Now when the HS10 is set to Full Through mode, then you will get underscanning, since only 1280x720 of the 1366x768 pixels are being used.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry J
Well, like I said, the xbox works just fine on the HS10, and so does a STB. I've looked at the 720p games on the X-box and they look really good.

Why does it have overscan from a computer at 1280x720?
All regular HDTV sets overscan 1280x720 input. X-Box (like an STB) takes this into account! A PC video card does not. The HS10 does not treat the X-Box input any differently from a PC video card input in GBR mode.

Leszek

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMILANI
I guess I'm not seeing the issue here. First of all, almost all display devices have some amount of overscan (not to be confused with underscan, which is an actual term used when the image doesn't reach the edges of the screen). So, when feeding an XBox signal, or a computer signal of 1280x720 (with HS10 set for Video GBR), you are seeing the same amount of overscan when set to Full mode. Now when the HS10 is set to Full Through mode, then you will get underscanning, since only 1280x720 of the 1366x768 pixels are being used.

Am I missing something here?
All I can say is that 1280x720 from a computer creates a dark border around the entire screen, that shows up just fine BTW, plus the desktop is in even worse shape. I call that overscan because its part of the picture IMO, and if other call it underscan then that fine also. If I remember right, and it's been awhile since I messed with that resolution, video was off centered and took quite a bit of adjustments to even get it watchable. In other words, I didn't like the way it looked or acted. Full through has no use too me.

X-Box or STB doesn't have that dark border overscan, so the pj isn't handing the two the same at all.

Leszek, I'm assume thats correct but still, whatever the reason, Sony didn't make the HS10 exactly compatible with 1280x720 from a computer, which they could have! Some other pj's don't have such issues. As you know of course. It's kind of a mute point to me anyway, since it does 1:1 mapping, and that 1184x666 (also 846x648 using vga out with a transcoder)will work at 60hz, full screen. I'd prefer 60hz at 1:1 though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well, the term overscan is almost exclusively used to describe when the image extends past the boarder of the screen, and cuts off the edges of the image. I think you will cause a lot of confustion if you interchange the terms overscan and underscan.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thats fine, but were not dealing with a rptv, crt ect.. The fact that I can zoom the image, and might just be using a wall instead of a screen, kind of makes it somewhat harder to say overscan or underscan. Most I've heard talk about the 1280x720 say overscan. It certainly goes off my screen, but it's projected so I can somewhat get it back under control with zoom and adjustments in powerstrip. I'm pretty sure there is some actual image lost compare to 1:1 also. The desktop, if I remember right, would have to be called overscan regardless.

It certainly would be a lost of image on anything but a projector. This pixel border that shows up from using computers makes the whole subject somewhat different, IMO. But I don't have a problem with calling it underscan, if thats really the correct wording.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.