AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had around 1650 hours on my orignal bulb and decided to buy one to replace it in the near future. I have some folks coming over this weekend to look at my setup, so I decided to change the bulb early to see the difference. No question about it, the new bulb is sooooooooo much brighter and vibrant than the old one. The contrast and brightness settings had to be cut in half from what I had them at.

From what I saw, I would say 1000 hours is reasonable to expect out of the bulbs. For those of you folks that go overboard on everything (you know who you are) I would say less than that.

I have not really seen anyone with this many hours on there HS10 and changed there bulb, so i posted.

Questions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a search online and went with the best price from an establish site. Came in a Sony box and was a Sony bulb.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Styk33, thanks for the post. I've got a little over 1100 hrs on the original bulb and find myself wanting to bump up the contrast, seems the picture has lost some punch. I think over 1000 hrs is reasonable to expect on the bulbs, I don't see how I could abuse mine more than it has been. I was waiting till the 1500hr mark to get a new lamp but since I'm so close might as well look for one now.

Did you leave the new bulb in or put the original back in?

Regards,

Anthony :cool:

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,130 Posts
Greetings,

How do you normally run your HS10 ( low lamp mode or regular )? Just trying to get a handle on how your lamp life progressed.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Cool.

I have contemplated getting a new bulb for my Sanyo Z1 now that I have passed 1000 hours because I can tell the image has lost some of its punch although it still looks good. Guess I'm just curious to see how much diff it is now compared to a fresh bulb.

I may wait because I am tempted by the new PJs coming out soon:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
It has been discussed many times that the original bulbs used in some of the early units were bad bulbs. I too changed ours and improved the picture greatly. Some people got free replacement within 3 months but after that you had to pay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cilent1

I put in the new lamp and do not plan on putting in the old lamp unless the current one has issues and I have to wait for a new one. I did the same as you, bumping up the settings. It was at the point where watching TV during the daytime with out the door closed to the outside was impossible. Keep in mind, this is a living room white white walls, ceiling and carpet, not a dedicated room (coming soon).

placidman

I used the HS10 on economy setting (is that the right word).

consult

I got my unit in late Nov, so that could be true. Although I remember the picture being great when I got it and over the first few hundred hours. After that I got used to the picture.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
not totally true, consult - my hs10 lamp blew at 5 months/300 hrs. sony gave me a free replacement. It didn't hurt for me to ***** about the loud explosive sound (it was) which woke up my father-in-law in a different room (it did). I think sony realizes they have a serious problem and are, to their credit, taking steps to minimize the PR damage by quietly extending the warrantee.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I finallly ordered a new bulb a few weeks ago and am still waiting for it to arrive. As I write this the original bulb has 2492 hours on it and is still watchable. I have no doubt it has dimmed as daytime viewing is more washed out than I remember it being. However I am watching the Giants/Marlins playoff game and it still looks good. I'm sure when I get and install the new bulb I am going to feel like an idiot for not getting a bulb sooner :).

I have just waited so long because I have had absolutely zero problems and didn't want to mess with a good thing :)......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mjn

That is against the forum rules.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
consult. no need for PM. My experience (which I detailed in a post from about 6 weeks ago) was that I called the 800 number, wallowed through their automated process and eventually spoke to 2 Real Humans (aka "agents"). After 60+ minutes, I managed to convince them to send me the free lamp. It takes a bit of persistence and you need to be quite clear, borderline angry but always polite. The fact my lamp blew out loudly helped a lot ("that's not normal", "scared the crap out of me", "I though the PJ had self destructed"). If you had startup problems, mention that too. Use the info garnered from avsforum like where the repairs take place (SA,TX) and anything else that makes you look like an educated consumer.

bon chance...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Really???

I know prices are off limits but I though talking about stores/sites was ok. With all the costco, bestbuy, circuit city, allposters.com...etc I never new that it was against the rules. Man I asked a question about ABT electronics a while back...OOPS!

sorry to ask you to break the rules.

·
Registered
251 Posts
styk33....you said you have a new bulb and were going to hold onto it until your current one has issues.

Not a good idea. You need to but the NEW one in becuase it is only going to be warranted from the day you purchased/received it.....whatever your warranty is...

If your current bulb works another 6 months, goes out and then you pull your new one out of the box and there is trouble...you lose.

General way to go is, put the new bulb in ASAP, leave the old one for back up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonderment

If you re-read my orignal post, you will see that I did put it in right away. I did what you said, thank you for the pointer.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well my new bulb came in yesterday and I put it in this morning. The new bulb is brighter as I could tell the daytime viewing has more pop. However, it wasn't so dramatic a difference as to make me feel like an idiot as I thought it might :) I am definitely holding on to that first bulb as a back-up--it has been very very good to me...

BTW, replacement happened at the 2578 hour mark....

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jaime, I think we got our HS10s about the same time (early January). I have only ~525hrs on mine- how the heck did you get to 2600 hrs?!?:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.