AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my HS10. I am planning to install it in my ceiling. Now, can I just put a shelf on the ceiling, and let it shine down (the 100" diagonal 16:9 screen begins about a foot below where the projector will be at a distance of 13-15 feet), or do I need to invert the projector (i.e., to hang upside down)?

/iaw

·
Registered
308 Posts
Upside down. The HS10 send the picture upwards, so unless you want to be looking at the ceiling like a planetarium :), you would need to do the upside down install.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...ok. thanks. I thought I could just tilt it down enough. But, I guess I can mount to the 3 screws upside down just as easily.

One question: why do I need an expensive ceiling mount? can I not just screw it in? the 3 screws also seem to attach to some kind if plate. Does this plate serve any function (heat transfer?), or can I just attach the projector directly to three screws coming out of something/anything?

·
Registered
245 Posts
ivo,

I think you'll be ok to just screw the projector up through the underside of a shelf mounted on the ceiling with M5 bolts - I'm planning on doing something very similar. The trick is the make sure the "shelf" is square and level relative to the screen surface so you don't have to use any keystoning.

DAve

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got my HS10, and I have been holding it up to see what sort of picture frame I can get. I think I found out bad news. I think I will need keystoning.

Unless I put the screen very high up onto the ceiling (meaning that I would have to literally suspend it from the ceiling, rather than from the wall; this also means that sitting on the couch, I would have to look up), or the projector very far down (i.e., so that I can walk into it; positioned at about 5 feet high), the keystone effect seems quite pronounced. Has anyone else solved this in any way other than the keystone feature? [ok, I have no other room behind it into which I could mount the projector.]

is this typical of all projectors? or is the sony built with too little of an implicit angle on the lens?

/iaw

·
Registered
109 Posts
some people have said they put a slight tilt on the screen - in your case pulling the bottom slightly towards the viewers - and that eliminates the need to use keystone. a small tilt is also said to be unnoticable

let us know if you try it and how it works. i am only a week or two behind you

·
Registered
110 Posts
dont tilt it down (excessively)... if u dont want to use the mount plate, build a high shelf, get some rubber feet from home depot that u can stick on the top and just turn it over and let it rest on the feet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
ivo welch how tall is your ceiling? seems to me you may need to suspend it some distance down if it is very tall... the center of the lens is almost exactly at the top of the viewing area of your screen on the HS10 (if it is hanging up side down).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, guys. have to go to work today, but tomorrow is installation time. they erally should have built in an angle into the lens somehow. having it level with the top of the viewing area seems way too little.

by the way, I have a firehawk screen, and it seems to work great with it. At about the diagonal distance, I cannot see screendoor. yes, I can see it halfway, but I really have to look for it. It does not bother me. Slight defocusing makes it go away even further. blacks look nice, but definitely not perfect. than again, I have to watch a dark film for this, not monsters inc.

I also have to calibrate it. I just used it out of the box yesterday.

hopefully more soon.

/iaw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.