AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had made my decision to go with the HS10 for many reasons.

Yesterday I stopped in the Sony store in NYC hoping to see one. They had it and it was hooked up. (Madison Ave between 55th and 56th st if any one is interested.) They have the HS10/HS2/12HT set up next to each other.

Wow, pretty bad. I now have doubts whether this is the way to go. The salesman didn't know the screen type. The unit was hooked progressive to a Sony DVD player. It looks like the filter might be on, but not sure. He said it was calibrated for dynamic mode. I cycled through all modes cinema-dynamic. The only good thing was that the fan noise was better than I was expecting. I was surprised how bad it looked.

The salesman was friendly and turned it on for me, but didn't know much more.

I know this is not ideal circumstances, but it paled in comparison to the Sony CS5 I am currently borrowing at home. The biggest problem was the shadow detail. I know everyone mentions this as a weakness, but anything real dark turned into a dark blob. It was difficult to watch. It was playing Star Wars II (please no comments on the quality of that disk) I came home and watched the same scenes and it was much much better and I am projecting onto a sheet with a real long S-video cable out of an old KLH DVD player. I am not a videophile, but I thought it looked obviously bad. I was thrilled with what came out of the CS5 and thought if this looks this good under almost every possible bad setup and circumstances, then the HS10 has to be better set up properly and that would definately be good enough for me.

I had the salesman do a slight defocus. I was standing about 1.5 screen widths away and everyone once in a while I would see screen door on bright parts of the image for a split second. It kept popping up. The CS5 at home slightly defocused shows no screen door at 1.5X away and even closer. Maybe the HS10 was not defocused enough?

I plan on stopping in again before I make my final decision and will compare the HS10 directly to the 12HT. Maybe if that looks as bad, I can chalk it up to a bad in store setup???

Has anyone else scene the setup in the NYC store?

:confused:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Jamnet,

It's really too bad that we have to deal with intentionally poor setups with lower margin projectors, but so it goes. With a gray screen, rgb settings changes that can be found on this board and completely darkened room (no filter by the way), I'm perfectly satisfied with the shadow detail I'm getting, and really impressed with the PQ otherwise.

But with minimal setup, the HS10 should far exceed your CS5 for home theater. If you have the budget for the 12HT, though you'll definitely step up in quality in that price range.

Its unfortunate, because a properly setup HS10 is a very nice projector. In fact when people come over I usually pop on a few scenes from Episode 2 to wow them. It looks astounding on my setup.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HTCrazy,

Would you say that the HS10 is an upgrade from the 10HT? I have a 10HT now but am looking to upgrade. I've looked at the 12HT but I'm not sure what substantiates the Higher price in comparison to the HS10.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Flan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jamnett,

I am projecting on to a homemade screen of untreated blackout cloth, in a room with total light control, but I usually leave the lights dimmed to the point of being just barely on.

I have done no calibration to the HS-10 other than putting filter on, turning cinema black on, and setting color temp. The picture is stunningly good, including on AOTC. In upgrading from a 32" HDTV-capable WEGA, I was prepared to sacrifice black level and detail for a larger picture, but I honestly feel that I lost little of either in the transition.

My point in all this is, I suppose, that the store calibration had to be way off.

·
Registered
857 Posts
well, I will make my way to this SOny style Store on 55th next monday after stopping by New York Auto Show ofcourse and I will see what is going on there with HS10 setup . All I can say that HS10 has stunning picture and great blacks AFTER the CC40 filter installation, and Im assuming that the setup they are running in this store is way off .. + HS10 has to run in Cinema Mode not Dynamic ( way too bright and washes out the blacks )

·
Registered
344 Posts
Jamnett:

My wife works for a company that sells projectors (basically to businesses). Before I received our HS-10, I had the opportunity to demo several projectors in home from my wife's company. We tried a Hitachi (5000 lumens), the Sony CS5, and another higher-end Sony business oriented projector.

My take on the HS-10 vs. the CS5 is that for a home theater setup, the HS-10 is vastly superior with far better native resolution (1366 X 768 vs.800 X 600), native 16:9 vs. 4:3, electronic focus vs. manual, electronic zoom vs. manual. In my experience, the HS-10 picture quality was also noticeably superior especially with the supplied filter. In no way would I pick a CS5 over an HS-10.

It sounds to me that you need to see an HS-10 that is set up properly.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflanagan

Would you say that the HS10 is an upgrade from the 10HT? I have a 10HT now but am looking to upgrade. I've looked at the 12HT but I'm not sure what substantiates the Higher price in comparison to the HS10.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Flan
I have a 10HT (SMART calibrated of course!) and compared it side by side to an HS-10, which I did a quick calibration by eye, but not a full SMART calibration.

THe HS10 definitely has a better internal scaler than the 10HT. Overall image quality is about the same, with perhaps a very slight edge towards the HS. The blacks are better with the SMARTED 10HT, but a SMART calibration of the HS10 will improve that. The HS10 is a bit louder than the 10HT. The HS10 seems to be slower to sync up when it receives a signal. The HS10 is brighter. If I was going to replace my 10HT, and looking for a lower cost replacement, the HS10 sure would be on my list, but I would not consider it a substantial upgrade.

In my opinion, they made a projector that is slightly better than a 10HT at less than half the price. That is a good indication of how far and how fast projector technology is advancing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I haven't seen the 10HT, but I spent some time with the 11HT which I liked but couldn't afford. When I picked up the HS10, I was surprised that the screen door problem that affected the 11HT just was not there with the HS10. I also think the HS10 has more depth (3d effect), but then again the white screen the 11HT was projecting on might have something to do with it.

There have been a few on this board that have upgraded from the 10HT and said the HS10 was a substantial improvement, but I doubt it's night and day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
flan,

If you've got tyhe 10HT right now I'd wait to see what the SXRD technology will produce. It may be out of your price range initially, but it will drive down the cost of other pj technology. I think the next two years are going to produce some stellar price drops and technology increases in pjs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had the opportunity to view the HS10 and 12HT side by side with the same signal. The only difference I could readily see was the black level and shadow detail was much better on the 12HT. But, was it $2000 better? I thought not and ordered the HS10. I will deal with the less than steller blue blacks and hope to use that $2000 to put down on a great projector, SXRD?, in a couple or 3 years. I think that the prices are changing to rapidly to invest heavily at this point.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, the only problem is that 1-2 years is a long time when your itchin' now! I think I'll demo the HS10 myself and then decide. Only problem now is selling the 10HT and loosing my butt.

Flan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamnett

Has anyone else scene the setup in the NYC store?

:confused:

I saw this same projector in the same store in early March. It was showing a J-Lo concert DVD through progressive scan. I was mostly interested in checking for visible pixels/screendoor from close in viewing distances, and I thought it was fine. I did not attempt to judge it on colors or black levels because of the source video (a concert video), the large amount of ambient light in the room, and the inability to determine what settings the projector was running in. I assume that these would be much better when properly set up.

All in all, I saw nothing that discouraged me from planning to buy one once my theater construction is complete. Now, if I had a lot more money to spend...... but I don't so it'll be the HS10 for me.

You are lucky to have found a salesman willing to talk to you and help you out. I thought they were pretty rude.

Good luck on your decision -

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spike,

Thanks for addressing my question. It is amazing how some of these threads head off in every direction.

They also had a concert video playing. I asked them to put a movie in. I also asked for the remote and went through some of the menus quickly.

My guess is that the amount of light in the room although not totally washing out the picture did affect the shadow detail.

I went through the different modes dynamic-cinema etc. I know cinema is the one to use, but on their setup and under those conditions dynamic looked the best.

Why can't they pull those black curtains all the way around to create a small viewing area? Seems easy

I have a question about light output.

The HS10 is 1200 lumens. I have read all of the threads that it is actually lower with calibration and filter attached and in cinema mode.

The CS5 I am using is a 4:3 projector with 1800 lumens. I am running it in low lamp mode and watching DVD's in wide mode, so isn't it only outputting about 65% of the total lumens in low mode? That might put it closer to the HS10.

I didn't see them side by side, but the CS5 seems a lot brighter.

My biggest concern was that I expected mediocre to bad results on the CS5 and was pleasantly surprised (I just used it to get a feel for the room and the right screen size)and figured the HS10 made by the same manufacturer would be worlds better and it wasn't.

I will go back and check it out further.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Jamnett,

Good process. You're asking all the right questions and now that you're armed with some data, go back and look again. In spite of my earlier recommendation to wait, if you've really got the upgrade bug then I think the HS10 is a great choice to last you 2 to 3 years (that's what I did.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.