Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just received my HS10 from Japan. It arrived without any damage to the carton, but clearly there are problems.

The projector starts up ok and all menus are functional. But while the HS10 will detect an input, for some reason it will not display it.

I've checked the VIDEO & S-VIDEO cables by connecting them to a TV.

The HS10 detects that the signal is there and doesn't display the blue screen. It also has the right timing info in the INFO menu screen. But NOTHING is displayed on the screen.

If that weren't enough, every now and then when I start it up I get a white screen with random pink vertical lines. When this happens, nothing on the projector is operational - pressing buttons on the projector and Remote Control do nothing. In fact the only way I can turn off the projector is by pulling out the power cord.

Has anyone experienced these problems?

I really don't want to test out the return to Japan warranty.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Greg,

Just a total stab in the category of "It wouldn't hurt to try", because this seems unlikely and maybe the HS10 doesn't even have this function, but:

Have you tried to see if you can access a shutter feature in the projector? I have a Panny AE200 and there's a feature where I guess if you don't want to turn the projector off but want to save some bulb life, you can turn the 'shutter' feature on and the screen basically goes black...

This would seems unlikely as the problem if you had the AE200, b/c once you press a button on the AE200, it comes out of shutter mode, but maybe the HS10 works differently in this respect. Worth a shot...

William

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just checked the HS-10 FAQ maintained by our own Nosfentaru and didn't see any mention of it, but alot of times, manufacturers will put a hardware reset switch somewhere around the back panel which sets everything to factory defaults... It also may be a menu option if you can get that far... Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
761 Posts
GregHT while you have have been unlucky and been the first (that I have heard of anyway) to get a HS10 which is DOA I wouldn't give up just yet...

Sounds like you can get to the menu system... so the bulb must be working... and so It sounds like you just can't pick up a signal... UNPLUG everything except S-Video and start from there... Use a DVD player and futz with the input button only (are you using a standard S-video cable or that PJ-Multi thing???)... Maybe try to set in the menu section to get the Auto-Sync (can't remember the actual term) to turn off...then on... Worst case I would get the HS10 into the hands of a local enthusiast (or even a dealer) to try a few things ... maybe something you have overlooked (a second set of eyes is always a good thing to spot something you may have missed)...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I've also seen the random pink lines, but they went away by hitting "input". Also, do you have S-Video set to S-Video Auto connect? If you're using the multi-input adapter it needs to autodetect. Plus the projector will not display the picture when you first turn it on. It needs to warm up and will look for the signal once it's warmed up (a couple minutes).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks all for replying. Because I live in Australia, I have only just awoken to respond.

Wcwu: Haven't noticed any shutter feature. The menus all display correctly on the screen, so I guess nothing is stopping the video from displaying.

Waldorf: I went looking for a hardware reset, but unfortunately couldn't find one.

Blitzkreig: The projector detects the signal ok. For example, if I set the input to Video 1, I'll get a blue screen. When I connect the video cable (from a vcr playing a tape), the blue screen dissappears and I am left with a dark gray screen. So it definitely detected the signal (also the disconnection symbol in the top left corner disappears). One other thing... People have mentioned getting a Cineza logo when the projector starts up. I don't get this. I might tray taking the pj to a sony service agent. I don't think I'd get a good response by taking it to a dealer somehow.

Chuck: Yep I've tried every input standard. I'm actually in a PAL country, so I tried that first (after AUTO didn't work).

HTCrazy: When I get my random pink lines, nothing works and the only thing I can do is pull the plug on the projector. There is no other way of turning it off. I'm not using the multi-input adaptor (although I have tried it with the same results).

Thanks again everyone for replying. Hopefully I might find an answer here, before I attempt the return to Japan.

Greg.

·
Registered
761 Posts
GregHT if you are NOT getting the Logo check to see if something is in the MemoryStick hole,... maybe even a manufacturers test dongle,... that Logo comes on for sure unless it sences a MemoryStick,... doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just taken to the local Sony repairer to get a quote - I'm hoping it's going to be something simple, but somehow I doubt it.

I did look in the memory slot last night and couldn't see anything.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought about ordering directly from Japan but I don't feel it is worth the risk and hassle of having to return the product. Also, if you order from a US supplier, generally you get a longer warranty period and if for some reason you do have a problem, many dealers will give you a loner unit while yours is being repaired. That won't happen if you buy direct from Japan.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

·
Registered
761 Posts
Doug I saved nearly $2,000 Canadian importing myself from Japan (including tax). I figure if it had no warranty AT ALL and it broke TWICE I still saved money, and I have had at least a MONTH jump on most other folks who are expecting to buy in Canada (I wanted mine BEFORE Christmas). So yes it is a personal call... "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blitzkreig, I agree.

It was more than 20% cheaper to buy from Japan. I figured there was less than a 20% chance it would fail in the first year, given my prior experiences with electronics. In fact it's more like less than 5% chance.

Therefore, even though it may not have worked out for me this time, I don't think I made a bad decision.

·
Registered
761 Posts
...of course I am not particularly risk adverse I suppose. I tend to be one of those "early adopters" the gadget companies love. I buy early and it probably costs me some at times,... but I do like being the first on my block to have the _______ (fill in the blank) and that is part of the fun. I did the import paperwork myself just to see if it was difficult and found out those import brokers that charge a fee, do nothing at all for the money... there was NO paperwork... just standing in a line for about 1/2 hour to wait for a rubber stamp or two. I ordered a highly modified PS2 for my son for Christmas this year (some specialty dealer in the U.S.) and THAT was more of an adventure than importing from offshore. I do buy a LOT of stuff on-line. It seems by the time it hits the shelves where I live that what ever it is is almost obsolete. I suppose my point is don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I suspect my neighbours think I am NUTS just getting a front projection anything at all so everything is relative :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem Solved:

Well I dropped the HS10 off at the Service Center this morning and had a call about 2 hours later. The service guy had found the problem and it would cost $110 Australian (US$60) to fix it. Great!

Apparently one of the components on the circuit board was loose and it had to be soldered back on.

So, how lucky am I. It would have cost me more just to ship it back to Japan, not to mention the delay and risk involved.

Now I'm getting the Cineza logo, video etc. It's all working great. And what a great image it is. I'm very impressed. My last projector was a CRT (bottom end Sony - 1001Q) and apart from the black levels this more than comparable. I'm sure it will get even better when I put the filter on and connect via component and use a progressive scan player etc.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I'm so glad this story had a happy ending!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow Greg

What a relief ! I am happy that it worked out for you. Whew John

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll go ahead and add the requisite 'w00', but can you give us any more gory details? Was it a surface mount solder? Exactly what component? If this turns out to be a technical service bulletin down the road, this could be an invaluable source of information! :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Greg, I thought you were going to be one of the first casualties from shipping overseas! Glad to see it worked out for you. Let us know what you think once you get it all set up. :cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow glad to hear you did not have to send it back to Japan... Only Japanese warranty kept me away from buying Japanese HS10 ... Shipping charges were tooo high for me .....

My US HS10 should be in my hands by NEXT week .......

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think people have to remember that not everyone lives in the US :). Even though we can get the pj here for about the same as overseas, that is not true for most other countries as pointed out in this thread. Of course, since I can't seem to find one in the US, all the prices I keep getting aren't too meaningful. I'm tempted to get one from Japan just so I can get ahold of one now. There are Sony centers near me that I could take to have it fixed if necessary. I guess I'm still deciding wether to wait and get one in US with warranty or get one now from Japan without warranty (I say without warranty because I probably would go to local center to have it fixed instead of hassle to ship back to Japan).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.