Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently projecting my HS10 temperarily on to white posterboards and also a white vinyl table cloth material. I have decided on a 72 inch wide screen. It will be either a DaLite Mat white, a Grayhawk, or a Firehawk. I have screen samples from both DaLite and Stewart.

The gray screens improve blacks dramatically but the bright areas seem rather dim. The bright scenes on the white screen look more vivid but the blacks are very poor.

I am running the projector with cinema black on, color temp low and using the supplied filter. I have calibrated it using Avia and plan on adjusting grayscale using a color analyzer.

I would like to use a white screen if possible for more vibrant colors and bright scenes. Unfortunately, the blacks using a white screen are very washed out at this point. The blacks are definately at a level that I couldn't live with. I am not expecting CRT blacks but would like at least decent blacks.

I have read about the CC40R filter and Grayscale tweeks on this forum. I was wondering what kind of improvement one sees with the CC40R filter and the Grayscale properly adjusted. If it is only a minor improvement, I think I will have to go the gray screen route. Can the CC40R filter be used with a gray screen if for some reason I am still unhappy with the white screens blacks?.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm using a CC40r with the HCMW gray screen and think the PQ is outstanding. I've changed the RGB settings (as per ones posted on AVS), and changed the gamma setting on my DVD player but so far haven't done the gray scale adjustments.

Since blacks are a big issue for you I personally wouldn't even consider anything but a gray, high contrast screen.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use a CC40R filter with a 119" gray screen and think the blacks are more than acceptable, however the brightness is affected. I used Dave Boswell's grayscale settings and the colors ended up looking quite good. The only problem I have is a perceived lack of shadow detail. My room is painted off-white, so I have much less than perfect light control. I have yet to play around with the gamma settings on the DVD player or HS10, but I am going to try something to help improve the shadow detail. The best part about using the CC40R filter is getting rid of the blue tinge to the blacks that the HS10 has out of the box.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've added a CC40R and the blacks were still not good enough to me. Adding a grey screen makes it acceptable to me. One possibly combination to get the best of both would be a grey screen + CC30R although I haven't tried that (there was some talk elsewhere about trying a CC30R though...).

·
Registered
653 Posts
I now have a CC30R filter and use a Stewart Firehawk screen. Don't think I'll get to it this weekend, so likely will be next weekend to do the install and Colorfacts recalibration.

dagger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.