AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, I love my projector. It's absolutely amazing. The picture is stunning. The screen size is perfect. The experience is incredible. But last night, I almost started crying. 1 week before the big game...the thing tries to fire up and the bulb won't go. The unit comes on with the lamp cover light and after a couple minutes shuts itself off. Ouch.

You know, I am not a huge footbal fan, don't really watch much, but was planning on having a party so people could enjoy it in full HD glory. Also, I really wanted to see the commercials for the new summer blockbusters. Ouch.

So let me vent my frustration a bit. 1000 hours on the lamp. Not 2000. Not 1750. Not even 1500. But 1000 hours on the lamp. Now I can't be positive that the lamp is the issue, if it was I might just have cousin's send one out overnight shipping (which maybe I should still do). But when I send it in to Sony for repair, the will want to replace the lamp...AT MY EXPENSE. How can projector companies get away with this? I thought the lamp life was suppose to be 2000. Should they not be sued for false advertising? How many have actually made it to 2000 hours or even close? Is there any projector company that has lamps that last as long as they say they should? 1000 hours. OUCH.

Well, I just thought I would express my pain. Thanks to all those that took the time to read. Enjoy the game.

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
617 Posts
you have my condolences. that's too bad. please post back when you figure out what you're going to do. Or what Sony says/costs.

I have an hs10 w/ orig bulb w/ 1500hrs on it. But I believe it has lost alot of it's punch and am about to replace it as well. I hate the cost of bulbs and the bs lamp life estimates.

later,

rob

·
Registered
325 Posts
My old HS-10 is over 1200 hours, and still going strong. I've not had any problems with the lamp. My new HS-20 is only at 200 hours, no problems so far though. Lamps should last over 1000 hours on the HS-10, but personally I would recommend getting a new bulb, if not for any reason than to have a spare for the projector at around 1000 hours. It loses some brightness anyways at that point, so look at the bright side (pun intended), if you can fix the problem with the new lamp you'll get a brighter picture afterwards! :)

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's just the bulb and you can get it replaced in time. Look at the bright side in that the bulb blew a week before the game which means you still have time to get it replaced and have a successful party. Imagine how you'd feel if it blew right before kickoff with all your friends as witnesses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I feel you man.

I have a panny 300 and about 1000 hrs also. I plan on having people over also and I am also worrying about if it goes. I have thought about buying a replacement just incase but i think i will just hope for the best. Sorry to hear that man.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Just for kicks, try unplugging it and then replugging and turning it on. When my HS10 went through this about 6 months ago, unplugging it briefly did the trick - after that week the problem just went away.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have to agree with HTCrazy...did the bulb really blow? I had one or two false starts a few months after I got my HS10 and was worried I had "the bug". But I just unplugged it, waited and it did start later. Haven't had a problem starting since then, at least 3-4 months.

Of course, with the game only a week away, the nagging doubt will be tough to overcome regardless.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing my pain guys! I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. I have tried the pushing of the four different buttons on the remote to get the supposed "factory reset", and I have vacuumed out the filter. I have tried removing the filter cover as well and keep it off. I have inspected every inch of the bulb and found no broken wires, nothing that looks blown or flawed. No luck. Everytime the same, the fan comes on, the Lamp Cover button blinks once, the bulb tries to light twice (two flashes) and then the Lamp Cover light comes on for good and the Power/Standby button flashes until it goes red and the fan shuts off. I have left it off for hours, with no avail. Man, oh man.

I will have to try replacing the bulb, but don't have the cash right now. If there is any kind souls in Minneapolis area that would grant me a chance of swapping out with a spare bulb to see if it is the bulb, I would be in debt to them! Hahahaha

Thanks for the responses guys, it is nice to have a place to go and express frustration without being called a whiner!

|..frizzo..|

(This two months after getting the major Dirty Disc Errors on my Xbox, I am sure pissed about the shotty craftsmanship of electronics these days!)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I checked with Sony today, and got some very interesting news. I talked with a guy in the VLP deparment and he said to send it in to Laredo. Not so interesting there. But then I asked him about the bulb. I expressed my frustration that my bulb only has 1000 hours on it and had him confirm that the HS10 should last to 2000. I asked if my bulb was bad, why should I have to pay for a new one when the old bulb was only half the life that it should be. Here's the interesting part. He said on some of the earlier HS10s there was a part that made the bulb burn down prematurely and that my bulb would be replaced under my warranty!! I was shocked, and took his name down so that if someone questions that after it's repaired, I can at least says someone at Sony told me they would replace the bulb under warranty! Wow, wierd.

|..frizzo..|

Still no superbowl though, I guess I will just have to record it and watch it later. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
frizzo- may i ask when you purchased (Or recieved) your unit? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago, was told i needed a new lamp, and was only given a 30% discount on the new one, Only 650 hrs on mine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received my HS10 at the end of March last year. The serial no. was in mid 16000s. I dunno what to think about having the bulb covered under warranty. I told the guy that i lived in a house with no smokers and very clean. Not a super dusty place. I also told him that I had switched filters and even after taking all these precautions, the unit still screws up at 1000 hours. It might not even be the bulb, I have no idea what it is. I guess we will see in about 2 weeks!

|..frizzo..|

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
That may be true. My first bulb was replaced by my retailer after about 600 hours. My second one is still going strong after 1800 hours.

Missing the Superbowl is a bummer, but getting a free new bulb is a nice consolation prize. I just put out $250 for a backup bulb, and had to wait 3 weeks before the dealer even had any stock.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You've learned the dirty little secret of projector bulbs. For every person that can claim 1000, 2000 hrs, I can find multilpe stories of burned out at 300, 250, 400 and so on. In my case, my HS10 bulb blew at about 300 hrs. It literally exploded with a loud pop while I was watching a movie. It was so loud it woke my father-in-law who was asleep in his bedroom. No damage to the PJ, just the bulb and my underware.

Sony was good and comp'd me a new bulb free. But the reality is that even with the claim of 2K hrs (which I dont believe they ever actually wrote it down any where) they only have a 90 day warrantee on the lamp but quietly will give free replacements. When this happened to me I posted it here and people came out of the woodwork with premature failure stories.

I think the real problem is that, while they may be able to show 2K hrs average life in a lab, in the real world bulbs are blowing a lot sooner. And the distribution while maybe having a mean of 2K, probably has a very "shallow" distribution curve (ie lots of early failures). It would not suprise me at all if 25% failed before 500 hrs.

So, what's one to do? well, first, relax, have a homebrew. Then, its simple, keep a spare on hand. Order one as soon as your lamp is out of warrantee and swap it in, keeping the old one as the spare. This is because replacement bulbs also typically have a 90 warrantee so use it or lose it. I had planned on getting a replacement at around 800 hrs so I had to wait 10 days for my replacement lamp. Its a good thing sony gave me one free because all the distributors were backordered and I would have had to wait even longer or pay full list ($400, ouch!!!). And get used to the reality that you are probably going to spend something like $.50 to $1 per hour of viewing time in lamp costs alone. Its just another consumable. Get over it, have another home brew.

One other thing, replace your dust filter. Do it now. do it often. even a slightly elevated temperature can be detrimental to the life span of the bulb. They may be expensive at something $20 a pop, its a lot cheaper than a lamp.

Phil

·
Registered
950 Posts
philba- I plan on using my new bulb for 90 days, then swapping in my old bulb. Do you think that the old power supply might have had something to do with the premature bulb failure? What interval do you recommend changing the filter? I replaced mine at 400 hours and it did'nt really seem to be that dirty.

·
Registered
624 Posts
On my old Sharpvision Projectors, they recommended cleaning the filters, i.e. vaccuming, every 100 hours. I don't see that practice passed on these days, at least not by the other manufacturers I've used since I've left the Sharp line. Since I've been used to that kind of maintenance schedule I still adhere to it and I've never had problems with dust blobs or premature bulb failure. Each of the bulbs in my PJ's have lasted until their rated life expectancy.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mancubus
On my old Sharpvision Projectors, they recommended cleaning the filters, i.e. vaccuming, every 100 hours. I don't see that practice passed on these days, at least not by the other manufacturers I've used since I've left the Sharp line. Since I've been used to that kind of maintenance schedule I still adhere to it and I've never had problems with dust blobs or premature bulb failure. Each of the bulbs in my PJ's have lasted until their rated life expectancy.
The Panasonic PT-L200/300 owner's manual recommends vacuuming the air filter every 100 hours. Replacement filters are available at the Panasonic on-line parts store for just 90 cents a pop. It's hard to believe that Sony is charging $20 for theirs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a replacement bulb in November as I passed the 800 hr mark for my HS10 I got in July. These guys were cheap and prompt.
http://www.shopcousinsvideo.com/sociac.html I'm up to 1200 hours now on the original bulb and the picture is still great. I'm also hosting a big SB party (and showing 2 Two Towers afterwards). I've bookmarked the bulb changing procedure 'cause Murphy was a hopeless optimist and I'm ready to do the surgury if it blows during the game.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Better make sure you save an offline version of the procedure. You don't want to suffer an internet outtage. Better yet, print the procedure out in case Murphy is working Overtime :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quote:
The Panasonic PT-L200/300 owner's manual recommends vacuuming the air filter every 100 hours. Replacement filters are available at the Panasonic on-line parts store for just 90 cents a pop. It's hard to believe that Sony is charging $20 for theirs.
That's good. I did own an AE100 (Japan version) and I don't remember seeing that stated in the manual.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the sony tech told me that 300 hrs was pushing it on the filter. Mine was not that dirty.

Oh, I lied about the cost of the filter. $33 list. cousins has it, uh, er, um, 20% cheaper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.