AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my budget for the projector has increased lately :) I am now leaning more towards a higher resolution projector, rather then a 1/4HD one like the Z1.

I started looking at the HS10, but I ran across a note that stated that this projector will not synch with the DTC-100. Is this true or was this only with the previous DTC-100 firmware versions? I know that the DTC-100 firmware has been updated with several synch options. Anyone using these two together successfully? Also, will the HS20 have the same problem?

·
Registered
196 Posts
DTC-100 and HS10 are a GREAT combo. Pic is absolutely stunning. I get 3 OTA HD and I have the DirectTV HD package. All are perfect. I saw that old post and corrected it at the time. If the raster is off they will not sync. Just adjust the raster (Long retrace I believe) to about center and enjoy. If you move it too far the pic will disappear.

I have no idea about HS20 but doubt it is any different.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's great news! The HS10 seems to be a perfect match for my needs. I especially like its longer throw (I am planning on a 100+" screen from around 16 feet). This will definately be an improvement over my 46" Mitsu HDTV.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dr. Joe F...

I always wondered about the posts saying the DTC-100 didn't work with the Sony. I too had to tinker, but my old Zenith HDTV-STB works perfectly with the HS10 in 720p.

BTW klimekt, I think you are looking at 15'4" as a max distance with the HS10 on a 100" screen.

Tom

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just be aware with the DTC-100 you need the latest firmware for it to display properly, otherwise the image will be slightly squished. This is fixed by adjusting the retrace timings, but you can't adjust those unless you have the newer firmware. I have one revision before that addition, and I've been on the phone with RCA about 5 times in the last two weeks to get the "paddle upgrade". Very annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I do have the newest firmware on my DTC-100.

And yes, I'm aware that the actual screen size will be probably 109" or so. That's ok since I plan on getting the HS10 and setting it up before ordering the screen.

That brings me to another question. I plan to connect DTC-100 and a progressive DVD player at the same time. Does this projector have a separate progressive component and RGB inputs or is it a single input switchable between RGB and component?

Also, any links to stores that have the HS10 in stock with a good price would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tomasz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Folks, how are you all connecting the DTC100 to your HS10? I have a friend who is connecting his VGA output to an Audio Authority Transcoder to build component signals for his HS10. He asked me the other day if there was a way to eliminat the transcoder from the loop.

Do any of you understand this will enough to answer? I do not.....

·
Registered
745 Posts
No, there is no other way. The HS10 isn't compatible using the vga cable one can buy from sony, the sync voltages are backwards, if I remember right.

So, using a transcoder is the only way I'm aware of.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I'm getting some mixed answers here. One last time:

Is anyone successfully running the DTC-100 connected to the HS10 via the VGA connection???

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think what is being said is that you cannot connect the DTC-100 directly to the HS10 using the VGA connection (and presumably using the optional SIC-30 VGA to multi cable), but you must instead connect the VGA output of the DTC-100 to a VGA to component transcoder, and then connect that to the HS10 component input.

-D

·
Registered
164 Posts
From Klimekt________________________________________________

"That brings me to another question. I plan to connect DTC-100 and a progressive DVD player at the same time. Does this projector have a separate progressive component and RGB inputs or is it a single input switchable between RGB and component?"

The Sony has DVI, Component and RGB (and others). Give some thought to dumping just a bit more dough ($170 to $250) and get a DVI capable DVD player. For the $250 you will get a better picture than your progressive DVD player.

Tom

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My DVD player is actually a Sony 875P 300 DVD changer. Though I'd like to get the maximum quality, I love the convenience of the changer and I don't know of any 300 or 400 DVD changers that have a DVI output. Also, I'm planning on using the DVI input to connect to my HTPC (eventually).

One last question, from what I heard the HS10 has a composite, svideo and component input on the back and a multi-port that allows connecting a cable with additional connections. Can I have either 2 component and a DVI or a component, a VGA and a DVI connection at the same time? Would I have to buy extra multi-cables or do they come with the projector?

Still learning :)

Tomasz

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just talked to Jeff. Excellent price and cheap shipping. Ordered one and should receive it within 3-4 days. Can't wait!

Now, can anyone recommend a good source for a VGA to component converter?

Thanks,

Tomasz

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yea, Jeff is easy to work with. I live close enough that I picked mine up back in June. He always seems to have some in stock. I love the HS10. I got my transcoder from American Electronics, but I do not know if they carry it any longer. I'd bet they will be all over EBay as the DTC100 is no longer sold. Here is the site:

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon.../9a60detc.html

But I would bet you can do better on the price somewhere else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.