AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of HS10's that combined can make a working unit.

Which is easier and time needed to swap parts between the projectors:

Polarizers or the optic block? Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am interested in this as well. Although i can't get anyone to give up even a broken HS10. My polarizers are bad so if I could find one with bad optical block, I would buy it and be in the same boat as you.

The polarizer install thread didn't make it look so bad. I am not sure whats involved with the optical block swap.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Polarizers are pretty easy to swap, and you should be able to buy a set for $300 or so. I don't think the optical block is something you'd be able to do on your own.

I replaced the polarizers in my HS10 and it cleared things up for a while, but now I think the optical block is gone, so I'm looking for an upgrade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read the polarizer replacement thread and it doesn't seem to bad. Was wondering if anyone had ever tried a prism block since that is my other option (I have a spare)?

JDLIVE: How long did it take you to swap out your polarizers? Anything to note that isn't in the polarizer thread already?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone /forum/post/13002070

I read the polarizer replacement thread and it doesn't seem to bad. Was wondering if anyone had ever tried a prism block since that is my other option (I have a spare)?

JDLIVE: How long did it take you to swap out your polarizers? Anything to note that isn't in the polarizer thread already?

Well, since I've taken my HS10 apart a few times now, I could probably do the swap in literally a couple of minutes.
But if you've never poked around inside one, you're going to want to go more slowly and be careful. Some of the connectors you need to take apart aren't exactly sturdy. You also may have to do some trial and error to get the new polarizers facing the right way, there's no marking to tell "front" vs "back". Also, make sure to reconnect everything, I thought I had fried mine because it wouldn't turn on the first time I put it back together.
Turns out I had just forgotten to reconnect the sensor for the remote. Phew!

As for the prism block, all I can tell you is it would involve even more disassembly. I took about as much apart as I was comfortable doing and would have had to go further to get to those parts. Of course, if it's shot it's likely worthless anyways, so it's not a big risk I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at the service manual for the prism block assm, that's a big chunk of the optic path. So I have started the polarizer route.

JDLIVE or others: What is the best way to lift out a polarizer without damaging it once the top clip is removed? (Harvesting a good one from a broke projector with other issues) Doesn't look like there is much to grab onto.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I used a pair of tweezers. They can be tricky to get out, takes some practice. Keep in mind only the center of the polarizers get used, so a scratch near the edge won't show up on the screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts