AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've read every post here on HS10 failures since the projector came out and hoped it wouldn't happen to me. I bought my HS10 (serial number 18424) in May 2003. It failed to start several times, but temporarily unplugging the power always allowed it to restart OK. Last night I was watching a DVD with DSI one-to-one pixel matching and the picture was fabulous. I heard a loud pop which was the sound of the bulb exploding. The bulb had around 300 hours on it. I called Sony repair in Laredo, TX this morning and they said this is a known problem and to send it in for repair. It's on its way and I have my fingers crossed that they will fix it properly. When it was working I was very happy with this projector.

John - Windows XP - Pro, Athlon 2400+, AIW 8500, Santa Cruz, HS10, Dalite HiPower (106 sq in).

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflynn
...Dalite HiPower (106 sq in).
That's a REALLY small screen you've got there :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Sony repair facility said they would cover the repair. I meant to post 106 in. diagonal for the screen size. John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The info on the Sony Laredo repair facility was posted by HTBuilder some time ago. That is supposedly the main repair facility for HS10's. Phone number is (956) 725-2893. John

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
So they're saying that the bulb exploding was a problem with the projector? That's weird. I can't imagine they would do anything but replace the bulb in any case (though at Sony bulb prices that's more than enough).

The bulbs are so darned easy to put in I'm surprised they made you bother sending in the projector. When i put mine in, I couldn't see how it was possible to actually do it wrong. Very similar to changing an HP toner cartridge in a laser printer.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This sounds exactly like what happened to me (boom at 300 hrs). They sent me a new lamp fer free instead of me sending the pj in.

The only diff here is I wnet through their monty-pythonesque main service number.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Truly the HS-10 reputation of a "lamp popper" stays with high serial numbers. They migh also replace your power supply as it seems this was responsible for lamp blow-ups in some cases.

·
Registered
405 Posts
jflynn

..You are not alone....Follow this thread (more than 180 replies...)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=266798

...My HS10 (Sn=12xxx) is still at Sony Service for new lamp and lamp cover replacement. The 1st lamp lasted only 490hrs. It seems that lamp problems affect ALL HS10 (Sony has admitted that lamp cover bug affects only SN up to 13xxx)! Most probably HS10 has more than one design faults (lamp cover ) which manifest as 'lamp-cover bug' like power supply, lamp failure and even base..design! Many in the early 12xxx 13xxx series have reported that their 2nd lamp lasts more.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.