AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if any HS10 owners out there have had the chance to test this projector out with both a htpc and a progressive scan dvd player? I am considering this projector for my father and if the scaler is impressive I will of course opt for the prog scan dvd player. However, if the scaler is not good I would opt for the htpc. Can someone tell me if there is a significant difference or not?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Hard to say. I've hooked up both the Panasonic RP-82 and the Sony 9000ES both using progressive. I thought the RP-82 looked soft with the 9000ES doing a much finer job. So I guess my conclusion is, either use a higher end prog DVD player or go with HTPC. Another AVSer will be bringing his HTPC over to try it out with the HS10, so I should know more in a couple weeks.

Seeing how nice the 1:1 mode is though, I'm guessing there still should be some real advantages to an HTPC.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you been able to get "real" 1:1 mode? I seem to get a grey border/overscan around the HTPC picture.. I also get some really annoying pixelnoise in sharp contrast areas.

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
So far I've only used the "through" modes that the manual lists as 1:1 pixel matching. It also has the gray overscan but I was hoping an HTPC might do away with that...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've seen no confirmations so far that someone has been able to get rid of the grey bars.. But wouldn't that indicate that we should set up smaller resolutions, since not the entire LCD panel is used?

Regards,

ToreK.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a little discouraging. I assumed 1:1 pixel mapping via a htpc was a piece of cake given that the HS10 faq even lists the powerstrip settings for you. Also, what is the business with grey bars?

A friend of mine has an ae100 and we simply built him a radeon-based htpc, hooked it up, plugged in the appropriate powerstrip settings, and voila, that was it. It was a piece of cake. Should I expect something different out of the HS10?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, the grey bars are not large, we are talking about perhaps 2% of the picture. But the problem is that you need to have 2 different settings for "regular" viewing and HTPC viewing since they don't fill up the same picturesquare. You can live with it, there might be people that have gotten better results than what I've achieved, but so far I've seen no confirmations that they've managed to achieve full resolution without the bars..

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Could Mercer or someone else elaborate on this? Are the grey bars distracting? Is anyone not seeing them?

1:1 pixel mapping is a key factor in whether or not I buy this projector. I want to make sure I'm not going to be disappointed. Thanks.

-Dylan

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ya know I guess I am tired of hearing that this works one moment and then it does not work the next! How could we have some people confirm that this works and continue to debate this! I have had my HS10 now since last week and could not test this over the weekend (had the flu). But I fully intend to spend my Sunday hooking this up and putting this whole discussion to an end. From this point on we should put in writing what the system spec's are that work and do not work so we can avoid multiple posts on this way over discussed subject.

PowerColor Radeon 9000 dvi

Lindy 7.5 meter cable

Abit BM6

Celeron 550a oc'd to 850

SB Live Vale

Hoon Tech DB

Linksys Nic

TheaterTek

Sony HS10

People who have had success or failure please post in a similar fashion so we can put this D*M thing to rest!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chuck, I will be waiting by the computer for your post on this one! Like you I am just frustrated to find out whether a htpc works perfectly with this projector or not. Do you currently use a progressive scan dvd player?

·
Registered
777 Posts
No, I have been using an HTPC since fall of 2000. First with a 50" Mits HDTV. Then with my good old Sony 400Q projector. And most recent with my just recently sold Sony 10HT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wouldn't you know it, right after my HS-10 arrived, my HTPC started dying. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I have 3 80gig 7200rpm drives in it and only a 300 watt ps. I'm rebuilding it.

Fortunately, I was still able to connect my sickly HTPC to my HS-10 with DVI and achieve 1:1 pixel mapping. Unfortunately, I can't play dvds. The trick is to use powerstrip and define a 1366 X 768 resolution with a 56 hz vertical refresh and negative horizontal and vertical sync. The entire screen is filled and the signal info on the menu shows mode 51.

I am using a Radeon 9000 connected with a Lindy 30ft DVI extension cable and a Pacific Cables 3 ft DVI cable. The windows desktop looks stunning.

Since I can't currently play dvds on my HTPC, I've been using a cheap progressive scan player. The interesting thing is that the best image is achieved by setting the player to interlaced and letting the HS-10 do the deinterlacing. The image is noticably more detailed than when the player is set to progressive. I think the deinterlacing circuitry in the HS-10 is very high quality. I believe that any DVD player with component outputs can produce superb images when combined with the HS-10.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Paul-

It's very interesting to here you say you get good results using the internal de-interlacer of the HS10. I have been using progressive out on my player, so I will give that a shot.

I spent some time looking at the Full through and Normal Through (1 to 1 pixel) modes last night, and found them greatly improved compared to the Full and Normal modes. I thought the de-interlacer may be at the root of this, but perhaps it is the scaler?

How does 1 to 1 work? My understanding is the Full through is showing 1 pixel for every 1 pixel of the image (the DVD image say). Now when you use "full" mode, it blows up (scales) the image, and thus has to use several pixels for each item of detail in the picture, rather than 1. If this is the case, and everything looks clear and sharp in the "full through/1:1" mode, then I can assume that reason things don't look as good in the "full" mode is that the scaler is not doing a terrific job.

So in essence, if I got an outboard scaler, or a HTPC, with better scaling, I could acheive an image similar to the "1:1" mode.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys please keep us well-informed here. I, as well as many others, need a clear understanding of three things:

1. Does HTPC with the HS10 work perfectly for 1:1?

2. If so, what are the settings?

3. How does progressive scan, interlaced, and htpc compare?

If it turns out the internal scaler is exceptional and interlaced looks almost identical to htpc I would be very excited.

Thanks!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Chuck,

Does your DVI cable at 7.5 meters have any problems with transmitting the signal clearly. Lindy guys have been very professional with their service.

You know the debate abt DVI cables exceeding 5m and the associated problems.

Lyndon

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a Lindy 10 meter DVI and yes it works very well. Heck,... I tripped over lindy a couple months ago and got the cable weeks before I even got the PJ... they shipped it to their US office to save me the shipping costs and then simply sent it courier to me in Canada. Very professional. I cross two regular power cable feeds within about 6 inches and there is NO problem with the 10 meters (32.8 feet)... but don't ask me because I also have a 45 foot parallel printer cable and they aren't supposed to work well over 10 foot either:D but with SCSI ... I wasn't so lucky:rolleyes:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
I have a Lindy 10 meter DVI and yes it works very well.
Thats good... Do you achieve 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI....?? If so, how does it look..?

Regards

AK

·
Registered
777 Posts
Quote:
Thats good... Do you achieve 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI....?? If so, how does it look..?
Quote:
1. Does HTPC with the HS10 work perfectly for 1:1?
Come on guys read the thread!

Quote:
Fortunately, I was still able to connect my sickly HTPC to my HS-10 with DVI and achieve 1:1 pixel mapping. The trick is to use powerstrip and define a 1366 X 768 resolution with a 56 hz vertical refresh and negative horizontal and vertical sync. The entire screen is filled and the signal info on the menu shows mode 51.

I am using a Radeon 9000 connected with a Lindy 30ft DVI extension cable and a Pacific Cables 3 ft DVI cable. The windows desktop looks stunning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.